Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  5:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear that mike, ive been here a while and know how much you like to play tennis and it sucks youll be out for a while. hope everything goes well though!

i had a thought today, could it be something smith micro makes happen if you have more than one copy in use?

because my old computer still has it and i gave it to my dad to use for his music and stuff, with anime studio 11 on it.

but it still doesnt make sense if i change the project frame rate to 120 (which is max) it gets up to 15 fps on playback

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  9:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure where you're seeing the frame rate, but I put 11 on my Mac Air (which is at least five years old) and it seems to run fine. The default dragon project that comes up runs in real time (24fps). I don't know how else to test it but I'll be glad to do it if you can think of anything (the one that comes up for me is a dragon walking in place).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and my MacBook Air is an i5, 1.7Ghz, with onboard Intel graphics (so a lot less capable than yours).

My gut tells me something is very wrong with your basic setup -- either that or the OS is wonky (I can't even tell you what version I'm running anymore -- Mac OS stuff kind of drives me crazy as it updates with names I can't even remember).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
idk if these links will work but.

in the first one the project frame rate is 24fps . and if you look at the top right you see its playing back at 10fps

https://ibb.co/cvwusa

in the 2nd image i set project playback to 120fps and you can see in the top right it went up to 14fps playback

https://ibb.co/fi4sdF

-Steve

Edited by - Iheyd on 06/02/2017 11:23:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  11:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iheyd

idk if these links will work but.

in the first one the project frame rate is 24fps . and if you look at the top right you see its playing back at 10fps

https://ibb.co/cvwusa

in the 2nd image i set project playback to 120fps and you can see in the top right it went up to 14fps playback

https://ibb.co/fi4sdF

and my mac is at

macOS Sierra version 10.12.5

so i will probably see if i can get a hold of a mac genius( lol) to see if its a problem with the actual computer itself then, because it just doesnt make sense and i cant seem to find a solution by googling.

-Steve

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  6:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, now that I see where you are looking I DO think it's the lack of a dedicated graphics card. On my machine I can't get over 7fps (my MacBook) whereas with my desktop or other laptops (all with dedicated cards) I can easily get 30fps or more.

That's the nature of onboard graphics. It's why I turned my other computer (a really nice Dell with only onboard graphics) back in and got a dedicated gaming machine. Unfortunately, the smaller, thinner computers generally cannot use a dedicated card because there's no way to dissipate the heat (and these days it's all about being thin and sexy).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  6:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a Macbook Pro (sorry, don't remember what your computer is and too lazy to look back at the start of this thread) you can update it:

https://bizon-tech.com/us/mac-upgrade/macpro-graphics/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmcTJBRCYirao6oWPyMsBEiQA9hQPbna0PERmept_4Cn5Zj6XJRGaIGKpa8lxMBAE7Rwi3FYaAm588P8HAQ

And here's a good article talking about what Mac to use for games (which you can read as "good for creating animations and/or working with video):

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/best-mac-for-games-3446272/

And for the bottom line, get one of these computers:

Radeon Pro 450/2GB VRAM with Intel Iris Graphics 530 (15in 2.6GHz MacBook Pro) and +180 for Pro 460/4GB VRAM

Radeon Pro 455/2GB VRAM with Intel Iris Graphics 530 (15in 2.7GHz MacBook Pro) and +180 for Pro 460/4GB VRAM

AMD Radeon R9 M380/2GB VRAM (27-inch iMac/3.2GHz)

AMD Radeon R9 M390/2GB VRAM (27-inch iMac/3.2GHz)

AMD Radeon R9 M395/2GB VRAM (27-inch iMac/3.3GHz) and +225 for AMD Radeon R9 M395X/4GB VRAM

Dual AMD FirePro D300/2x2GB VRAM (Quad-Core MacPro) and +360 for Dual AMD FirePro D500/3GB VRAM or +900 for Dual AMD FirePro D700/6GB VRAM

Dual AMD FirePro D500/2x3GB VRAM (Six-Core MacPro) and +540 for Dual AMD FirePro D700/6GB VRAM

although they also suggest that using a computer with Iris pro might be good enough:

Intel Iris Graphics 530 with Radeon Pro 450/455 (15in 2.6- & 2.7GHz MacBook Pro)

Content continues below

Intel Iris Graphics 540 (13in 2.0GHz MacBook Pro)

Intel Iris Graphics 550 (13in 2.9GHz MacBook Pro)

Intel Iris Pro 6200 (21.5-inch iMac/2.8GHz, 21.5-inch Retina iMac)

Intel Iris Graphics (2.6GHz/2.8GHz Mac Mini)

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  5:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay so i managed to get to my parents and check out anime 11 on the other imac and took a pic of the specs aswell.

imac mid 2011

2.5 gh intel core i5
16gb 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD radeon HD 6570M 523 MB

and it was running at 20FPS

-Steve

Edited by - Iheyd on 06/05/2017 5:40:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  7:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, an external video card wins every time. And the better the card, the better the win.

I have a VERY old Dell desktop with an NVidia card that's a couple of generations old and it clocked nearly 60fps when I changed the settings to 60fps. I suspect my new game laptop could beat that easily.

It's the big disadvantage of laptops that have no ability to upgrade the video card (some do, but none of the "thin" ones do). In the future just make sure you get the specs on whatever you need (I like buying at places like Best Buy where I can return it if it doesn't work for my needs, as I did recently).

Totally OT but now I'm thinking I WON'T have the surgery. Such is life...

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  5:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello everyone just an update, after some calls and emails to both apple support and smith micro, i found out it was my GPU (i upgraded everything but that, and apparently that was the reason)

i had to buy an eGPU for a mac and it is now running at a full 24 fps on playback speed, and i can go all the way up to 124 fps playback speed!! thanks for all the help and everything, i am finally able to start animating my webseries again, ()its been way to long)

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2017 :  6:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we were all pretty sure that was it, but glad you could solve it (didn't know you could get another video card for your laptop -- some do, as I said, but most can't be upgraded).

Since you started this topic I actually upgraded my desktop video card to nVidia's finest (it absolutely screams, and for the price it had better). I wanted something powerful enough to never worry while I did my 3D work.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  6:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike, what card dad you end up getting?

i got the nvidia 1070 and the bizon box( it allows you to connect another graphics card to a mac. via thunderbolt

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  6:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nVidia 1080. The 1070 is a very nice card as well, but I wanted to go with the top of their line.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  6:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn i was thinking that or the 1080i but it was a couple hundred more and i had to save for first and last :S
nice stuff though mike.

hope to see more of your 3d stuff

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  8:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll keep posting here (at least until folks get tired of it :>)

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page