Problems, Solutions, and General Discussion
 Custom Character with Character Assistant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

byxx
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2019 :  4:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit byxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Community,

This question is rather a generic one on a good approach.
I already have a readily designed pretty simple cartoon character on paper.

how far can the character assistant help here to re-model it for the Anime Studio world?

I could imagine as a newbie, finding settings that come pretty close in the character assistant, then export all eight directions and do the finetuning in the anime studio canvas for each direction.

Or is there a way to completely design my intended character inside the assistant? Then there could be some kind of edit window for points, bones and stuff (besides the sliders that I already found, of course). Thus, work outside the assistant might be not ideal at a too early stage. (I am wondering at that moment, if the number of points of a character have to stay the same in all 8 directions for the turning transition...)

The aim of course is to fully animate the character with 360° turns and so on. Maybe it is important to do as much as possible inside the character assistant before exporting it.

So,
my basic question:
What is a good approach using the character assistant with a custom character and at what stage you would you experienced guys recommend the assisted character export for further use in the Anime Studio Canvas?

THX
BX

Anime Studio 11.2.1 Debut/Pro
WIN10
MACOSX 10.13.6

Edited by - byxx on 06/15/2019 6:40:46 PM

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4611 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2019 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As an experienced guy, I wouldn't use the character wizard at all. The skeleton, art, and layering are really amateur, and the amount of work I'd need to do in order to bring it up to par is comparable to creating a character from scratch.

That said, the character wizard is mostly meant for new users, to get them animating quickly. But if you're really wanting to make custom characters, you might make one complete and try modifying that for the rest of your characters.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2019 :  10:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit byxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Wes,

alright. So what would come first now:
Designing 8 different angles for the custom character (Is it okay to change the amount of points for a certain body part in the different positions?)

OR

Using one starting frame and transition over to the different turning angles continously in the time line? As I recognized it is not possible to add points in the timeline except in frame 0, as far as I understand it at least. For me it would make sense as I can imagine one and the same point is tracked by the software. So, additional points in different angles would not be properly animated, right?

Maybe there is a good video tutorial to check on, for I know I will have to dig deeper in the manuals, too, of course.
This question just for more or less overall understanding of how Animeīs animation works...

At least, I already have my character build in front view with bones and some body part layers.

Thank you
Best regards
Byxx

WIN10
MACOSX 10.13.6

Edited by - byxx on 06/15/2019 11:18:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4611 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2019 :  11:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That depends on what you're trying to do. If you're going for limited animation or quick turns, where animation (like anticipation and secondary motion) disguises the sudden jumps from one angle to the next, completely different rigs/art for each angle is ideal. If so, there's no real need to worry about matching point counts.

If you're trying to simulate the look of frame by frame animation, you'd want a fully animated turns. If so, yes, you'll need all the necessary point on frame zero.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2019 :  11:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit byxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ah okay.
What if I have a timeline and create different body positions of a character on certain frames there:

Is it possible to export the position of one frame into another project as frame 0 as starting point (letīs say for a new scene?)

I guess so, but how to...? :-))

My intention: This way I would update the character step by step as well, without destroying previous work, to go back to in worst case of messing up things

Thx , Wes!!

WIN10
MACOSX 10.13.6

Edited by - byxx on 06/16/2019 11:25:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4611 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2019 :  12:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since you'll want to reuse any turn animation, create it or copy it to an action for each angle. then when you start a new scene, you can just apply the needed action on frame one.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2019 :  6:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit byxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
okay, understood. Will try!

The other way around:
when I create my character with same point count in eight different angles:
How to get a full 360 turn out of it? As there is every point set in the new position. Is there a way to do that with the action method, too?

Possibly I already create a whole turn, when I set up the different angles in one scene, right?

Is there a need to construct eight seperate Poses with same point count otherwise?

Maybe there is a workflow like this:
Place angle1, set action in timeline, place angle2, set action in timeline and so on, I could imagine.
This way the points could be recognized from one angle to the other of Anime Studio, I guess. Otherwise the need for eight seperated angles with no connection is not clear to me...(see character wizard)

THX
Byxx

WIN10
MACOSX 10.13.6
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4611 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2019 :  6:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have the same point counts in the same order, the only difference between interpolated switches and a full animated turn is the duplicates needed for the switches, e.g. more layers. For interpolated switch turns, you'd need to be careful about adding or removing points, but doing a full animated turn, you're always dealing with the same set of points and defining the interpolation keys yourself, instead of relying on automatic switch interpolation which doesn't allow you to choose the type of interpolation.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page