My first test
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  03:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it's time to hold my nose and jump into the pool.

Obviously, I used the tree of life animated background as a start. Then I wanted to see if I could figure out how to crack the egg and get something to exit.

Then I decided to try a bit of perspective and camera work.

I sure did come up with a lot of questions. Is this the correct forum to ask or should those be in a different forum?

Willie

Edited by - Willie on 11/02/2011 03:34:53 AM

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1299 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  06:01:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the pool.

nice sequence - it made me smile! and please don't tell me that was your first try with AS - there's so much in it!

Ask away ... if Wes or Mike thinks you're in the wrong place the thread will get moved!
Go to Top of Page

Wena
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  07:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willie, that was great, I liked the bird hatching and fling. And i suspect it's mama and papa on the wall, I know I have done the same in a clip with an old photo of my gran.

Good work.

Wena

Go to Top of Page

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  08:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wena & Paul,

It is granny & papa on the wall, but we are the grans and the picture was just one of those thing that popped into my head. All the pieces, except the picture and the cracked egg, are canned with AS Debut 8. The picture brings up my first question which I will ask below.

Willie
Go to Top of Page

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  08:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nailing things down
--------------------------

How would I bind the picture to the wall so that they scale together? I intended to just add the picture to the same layer as the wndow frame but it is on it's own layer and therefore it would move a bit unpredictably as I zoomed back. I also tried to create a folder to put all the components of the window (window frame, sill, curtain, valence) together without success.

Willie
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4505 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Generally a group/bone layer works for combining layers so they move together when scaled. Did you try putting the whole wall, window, and picture in one group/bone layer?

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Render speed
-------------------

What factors seem to cost the most time when rendering?  For this 30 sec video, my four year old MacBook with 1 GB ram took about four hours!  I did this using AS 8 Debut.

Roughly the first fourth went reasonably fast (maybe 15 mins) and the last fourth went by in about the same time.  The rest was so slow that I would put my mouse where the progress bar was and check it 30 mins later just to see if it was moving.  It was always creeping along.

I have energy saver turned off so the processor never throttles back and no other programs were running during render.

I tried three different codecs and all showed the same inconsistent speed.  mpeg4 using high quality was fastest by at least thirty minutes.  H.234 was a little slower even though I chose medium quality.  Animation is still running after at least 7 hours.  I forgot what quality I chose, I think it was high.

My first thought was that zooms in and out render faster than pans.  Is that your experience?  What others features are time expensive?

I have a newer iMac with 4GB of ram and a much faster processor, but it is not at the house and that is where I was working for this test.

I have not searched for either of these questions on the forum, which I would normally do before posting, because I am traveling now and just have the iPad with me.

Thanks in advance,

Willie
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4505 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Camera moves shouldn't have any effect on render time. Render time is basically dependent upon how much there is in the project that AS has to calculate for each frame. Shape/layer effects, particles, number of points/layers/bones, and anything even off-screen will still be processed when rendering and add to the time it takes. It's good practice to turn off the visibility for anything off-screen, to save on AS calculations.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SynthSin75

Generally a group/bone layer works for combining layers so they move together when scaled. Did you try putting the whole wall, window, and picture in one group/bone layer?

Thanks, Wes. You posted while I was writing my last post.

I just tried moving them all to a common folder by dragging one on top of the other.

I had created both halves of the cracked egg and they are in a common folder called 'cracked egg'. But I couldnt remember how I did it as many hours elapsed between the cracked egg and the window -- without sufficient sleep. I am sure you all find that hard to believe.

I think I just duplicated the tree of life group, added the cracked layers and then deleted the original items. I knew there had to be a better way.

Willie
Go to Top of Page

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SynthSin75

Camera moves shouldn't have any effect on render time. Render time is basically dependent upon how much there is in the project that AS has to calculate for each frame. Shape/layer effects, particles, number of points/layers/bones, and anything even off-screen will still be processed when rendering and add to the time it takes. It's good practice to turn off the visibility for anything off-screen, to save on AS calculations.

Ah hah! We have a winner! I wondered if that might be the case. I did not hide the vulture while off screen. I will do that when I get back to my computer and test again.

During the really slow part of the render there was not much changing on the screen, so I suspected it might be off-screen action. But I thought the render might only use what was in the view port, like pressing cmd-J (I think) before viewing in the timeline.

Willie
Go to Top of Page

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  10:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayasidist

. . . please don't tell me that was your first try with AS - there's so much in it

Other than tutorials, one session playing around with the CW, and examining provided content, this is my first.

I did go through 7 major iterations of editing and adding before this version though. Probably at least 10 hours not counting the 'oops I fell asleep reading' time.

It isn't near smooth enough yet. For example, I need to trim some time while the vulture is offscreen. And I don't like the way the zoom out seems to have a bit of an arc to it. And . . .

Now time to get another hour of sleep before the 5 hours of driving this afternoon.

Willie
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1299 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  11:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great first try! well done...

another great way to slow down the render is to have lots of complex movement on objects that have lots of points in them.

if you want to hold the shot on the egg hatching you'll need to put in some extra keyframes - so for a "typical" zoom-in (between times t0 and t1), hold (between t1 and t2) and then zooming out (t2 to t3) whilst panning away (t2 (sic) to t4):

zoom keyframes: t0: "out"; t1: "in"; t2: "in" (same as t1); t3 "out"
"pan" keyframes: t0: "centre"; t1: "new centre"; t2: same as t1; t4: "as needed to track"

you might need extra keys in "pan" between t2 and t4 if the target movement is not linear.
Also check the interpolation settings: default is smooth - which means that movement starts and ends slowly at each keyframe. Linear might work better

hmm .. 5 hours driving? not enough sleep? retired pilot? well ... just try to remember not to firewall the thrusters and haul the yoke hard right and back when you see some clown heading straight for you - it won't work on the freeway!

safe trip!

Go to Top of Page

Willie

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  02:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayasidist
hmm .. 5 hours driving? not enough sleep? retired pilot? well ... just try to remember not to firewall the thrusters and haul the yoke hard right and back when you see some clown heading straight for you - it won't work on the freeway!

I had another driver with me and slept well last night, so I was fine. Still not home yet, but I am close.

Willie
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1299 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  06:05:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
('twas a joke Willie! but glad PIC has a P2 on board!)
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

180 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  12:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is so cute!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page