New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

byxx
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  4:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Community,
after several attempts reviving a purchase of a Pro Version of Anime Studio, I was rejected to old email documents with serials, which do not occur in my account. Showed my paypal docs etc. Repeatedly attempts to clear up the situation did not really work out. Still paid around 300 bucks for a PRO version. Also I was given the task of looking into some SM Account where mothing is to be found yet showing some PRO Versions. It was a automated purchase after a trial version, which I figured out later. Still paid, but no Software. What can I do?

THX

Anime Studio 11 Debut

Edited by - byxx on 05/29/2019 4:29:01 PM

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4584 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  5:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you do not have the serial number and SM doesn't have a record of your purchase, I'm not sure what you can do.

As a rule of thumb, I always archive the installer and serial for any software, as soon as I get them.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  7:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I provided the Paypal receipt. It seems that the email went missing from day1 they refer to, as we figured out the mail conversations of that period. But that should not be an issue as the payment is obvious. I even asked within the 1month trial to take back the automated switch over into a purchase, neither that nor the recovering of a serial is/was possible. I even was then confronted with a 6 or so point plan to show kind of "prove" to not use their software after the trial period. Eventually, the trial was never taken back and so went into a purchase. Also the referred to account does not show a PRO Version. No taking back of a trial, no recovering of a serial? No solutions? Blaming it to a probably missing or lost mail?

Anime Studio 11 Debut

Edited by - byxx on 05/29/2019 8:22:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4584 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you had Pro installed (even as the trial), you had the serial number at one time. Are you on the same computer Pro was installed on?

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  8:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its a three year old story. I did never intend to use the sofware but surely being interested to get an impression, of course. Thus, The mac was deleted and newly setup some times in the meantime. I wanted to forget the whole thing back then. Maybe there is another chance. I cant find the (trial) serial in any document which was sent, thats my main problem. However, there is a mail, which refers to the trial, but I would not see a serial here, merely an invoice number. This document has a link which at the given time leads to the homepage of Smith Micro, but leads to no special infos on a serial or so.It seems to be the referred to official mail from the company. But, this invoice information itself does not contain any infos on serial numbers per se.

You are absolutely right to take care for those things, sure. There are some hints to my purchase, I would assume. Try to find some help here.
THX, Wes!!

Anime Studio 11 Debut

Edited by - byxx on 05/29/2019 9:00:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4584 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  9:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was the Mac completely reformatted, or just Anime Studio Pro uninstalled. If only that latter, you could search for "Anime Studio Pro11.app.settings" to see if you can find the serial number is still on the computer. If not, you're at the mercy of SM support.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  9:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its been completely reformatted. I work with tools from a lot of companies. This one is not close to support I am used to, avoiding a solution. Of course there are ways figuring out how to get purchase questions right. Its not a game nor a riddle in my case, but relieable information of a considerable money transfer, which a company is not able to react on. Regaining access to a purchased software was not made possible. What is the intention , buying nother copy? ;-) Anyways THX, Wes!!

Anime Studio 11 Debut

Edited by - byxx on 05/29/2019 10:18:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4584 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2019 :  11:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SM downsized awhile back, and if I remember correctly, they now outsource their support. I have no idea how reliable it is now.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6484 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  07:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that happens. I'm actually more amazed when the opposite is true -- namely, when a company either DOES have some records of my purchases and/or honors it anyway. IIRC, I had some Red Giant software plugins that went unused for many, many years and when I finally got Adobe cloud (and thus had After Effects again) I wanted to see if I could get them again and the company went out of their way to accommodate me, upgrading me to the latest versions although we really had no proof one way or the other (and they had no record of me). I remember Heinlein writing about how there were two types of bureaucrats -- the kind that would go out of their way to find something in the rules to ding you for, and the kind that would go out of the way to find something in the rules to help you. I think private enterprise is much the same.

If it's any consolation I'm not sure three year old Anime Studio would be any good. However, if it is something you want, it used to be that Amazon offered very discounted versions of the older stuff. You might try a search there (I seem to remember them having like a two year older version of Pro for $60 or so).

Edit: Yep, there are a couple of real cheap older versions there. So if that's what you want...

https://smile.amazon.com/Anime-Studio-Pro-Old-Version/dp/B0052VKP0W/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=anime+studio&qid=1559214519&s=gateway&sr=8-8

https://smile.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Inc-ASP11HDVD/dp/B010B6EK26/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=anime+studio&qid=1559214632&s=gateway&sr=8-3

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  10:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Wes, Dear Mike!
I am not a real complainer for small issues, believe me. So, Thanks for all your help and forwarding ideas. Will have a look on amazon, of course. Thanks so much!! Maybe the damage thus can be considered getting some acceptable frame.

I have no idea about updating conditions and such which would have been a next step. What you think, getting MOHO on the spot or using AP11 and updating it, being a working solution?

Yours sincerely
Tim

Anime Studio 11 Debut

Edited by - byxx on 05/30/2019 10:43:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6484 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes will have to chime in, as I don't use Moho anymore. For sure you want a version where smart bones are supported, and I think that was as early as 9. It SEEMS to me (and I could be mistaken) that 11 was the last version I used for any animation and, if so, that's PLENTY capable of doing almost anything you'd need (so getting the Pro version of that might be all you'd ever want). Wes will know more.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4584 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2019 :  5:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moho 12 is definitely worth it, IMO. Pin bones, smart mesh, bezier handles, timeline visibility, animation channel muting, etc.. We're expecting v13 some time this year, so v12 might be getting a discount, whether from SM or third party vendors.

You can upgrade from AS Debut 11 to Moho pro 12 for $330 USD:
https://my.smithmicro.com/top-reasons-to-upgrade-to-moho-pro.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl7HGp5_E4gIVl6DsCh3ligdUEAAYASAAEgLXgPD_BwE

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

byxx
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2019 :  11:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we really dug into reviving the PRO version with Smith Micro of Anime Studio and the company was kind enough to work through old orders and finally found a way. So PRO is up and running, but I am not sure after some check how to register and make everything safe for downloading installers and codes. I got a redirection message that it is not necessary to register any more, just activating seems to be sufficient. What is your experience on how to maintain the Anime Pro Software best? THX

Anime Studio 11 Debut
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1341 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  4:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you got a good result from SM!
You're on 11 Pro now?
my advice is whatever else you do -- save the serial number somewhere safe.

You'll need to Activate and (IIRC) that happens when you put the serial number in when you start up in demo mode.

To maintain 11 -- I think the last AS11 release was 11.2 (build 18868 for Windows - sorry don't know about Macs) -- if you go to Help / Check for updates that should tell you what you have installed and if it's not the latest it will offer you an update.

hope that helps
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page