DaVinci Resolve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4447 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  5:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone has used Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve. Granted, it is very resource heavy (I think it uses about 2 GB memory just opened and idle), but my computer can handle it well enough.

I was impressed with how responsive this free NLE was. I've tried quite a few free options, but most are either very slow, don't handle audio, or have very limited format capability.

If any one has tried it, I'd be interested if they've found any better, free NLE out there. If you haven't tried it, and your computer is up to the task (very important), you might like it as well.

-Wes

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6371 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  7:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried it -- but my Premiere skills are so ingrained I just couldn't get into it (then again, the price for Resolve is much better :>).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4447 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  01:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I wouldn't jump ship on a trusted software until there was a real motivation to do so. Personally, free NLE's are so plentiful that I never could justify spending money on one, even though I've never been too happy with them until now. I've always meant to try Blender as an NLE, but early attempts with the Blender interface have always left me gun shy.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6371 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2016 :  06:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blender interface is a hot mess -- I'm actually trying it (again) now due to my involvement with iClone and some beta testing of stuff.

That's often the case with "free" -- UI is one of the hardest things to get right, and most of the money in design comes down to the look and feel of software (the main reason I've never been able to use Toon Boom). But Resolve gets a lot of positive reviews from many folks, so I'm sure it's worth exploring at the very least.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4447 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  04:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This comparison may be of interest to Premiere users. Did you try Resolve 12, Mike? If so, you can probably skip this video, since I'm sure you did your own tests.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6371 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  07:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main reason I tried Resolve was for the superior native color grading, but I ended up buying from Red Giant their incredible set of tools that kind of blows away any others in this regard (as usual my inclination in solving problems is buying more software :>).

For folks who are less knowledgable about such things, grading your footage (video footage) is the key to getting a look of the Hollywood films and something that can easily elevate your home movies into something folks sit up and take notice of. It can be a VERY elaborate process, and while you can do it with almost any NLE the easier the task the more likely it is you'll do it right (or even do it at all). Kind of like how you could animate everything you do in Photoshop except that would be so difficult it wouldn't ever be done (except by fanatics of such an approach).

But thanks, Wes, it's always interesting to me to see things like this.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6371 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  08:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I've watched the video let me explain a bit more: by adding the Red Giant tools to Premiere, it can now do MUCH more than Resolve (it actually now comes down to a one-click solution for many VERY complicated grading problems). In point of fact, I have the entire Red Giant suite of Premiere (and usuable in After Effects, as well) plugins and there really is NOTHING that can compare to those tools to create movie footage.

Again, we're talking free versus paid here, and while the Red Giant tools aren't enormously expensive (particularly when you take advantage of their once-yearly sales which regularly offer prices up to 70% off all their stuff) we ARE talking about using subscription software (for the Adobe products). Because I just can't live without Photoshop, Lightroom, and After Effects, it's kind of a no-brainer for me to use Premiere even if I weren't an expert at it (which I am, having used it for decades now). But I did at least take a look at Resolve before I went the Red Giant route.

For any folks out there who are looking for a full-blown movie making situation, I would highly recommend looking at RGs stuff (again, do NOT buy until their yearly sales -- can't remember exactly when they occur but you can look at their Facebook page to see when it happened last year). I own their Trapcode, Magic Bullet and Keying suites and there is NOTHING I can't do with this stuff.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4447 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  3:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not opposed to paid software, but I'll never go along with any subscription-based model. But that sales model may be part of what's driving better software into the free arena. Many people would pay for services or upgrades, after getting hooked on a free product, who would never pay for a subscription.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6371 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2016 :  3:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I bucked it for a LONG time, but the pieces I use are just too compelling and after I did some analysis I realized I was paying the same (or even more) for standalone software (because I nearly always upgrade every year).

There is some VERY good freeware out there, though, and careful shopping around can yield amazing rewards. And, heck, I'm using freeware because I kind of hate MS products (so OpenOffice is my office suite of choice).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Noiz2

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  3:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Noiz2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To revisit...

There are a number of reasons to use Resolve. It is a professional application that is used by a lot of facilities so learning it gives you a possible marketable skill. It is pretty much the standard for professional color grading and at the resolutions most of us will need it's free.

I think the "red giant tools" you are talking about are the Magic Bullet suite (Looks, Mojo, etc). They all work in Resolve so you don't need to give up on them.

The catch is mostly that if you have used Motion or After Effects and such they are track oriented in terms of FX and Resolve (and it's sister VFX program Fusion) are node based. It's a different way of thinking about things, but once you get the hang of it it is much more flexible. And in the marketable skill part every high end VFX program except After Effects uses node based structures. BTW Fusion is also free at under 2K output resolution.

If this is just personal stuff then the marketable skill part is pretty discounted.

The public Beta for version 14 is just out and one of the big additions is a full DAW page from Fairlight. And the full price has dropped from just under $1,000 to just under $300.

The full priced version adds some features most people may not use, 3D tools and multi user access. The last is very big for facilities but no much of a thing if you are a one man band. It allows more than one person to work on the same project and those changes to show up on your coworkers systems. So you could be working on sound or titles while someone else is still working on the edit.

It's still public beta so I'm not sure how well that all works but if it doesn't have any big gotchas attached I could see a lot of places switching for the streamlined work flow.

Me, I'm just doing personal stuff in Resolve. I switched because FCPX doesn't support being able to transfer to audio post and that has been my day job for a LONG time so it's kind of a must for me. Premiere my wife has and I tried it a few times and, I just found it very counter intuitive. Plus I dabble in VFX and while After Effects was warm and fuzzy (it is very like working in Pro Tools) I just can't stand rentware. I don't do this all the time and I can't justify spending money constantly just to have the option of using it. My wife got a non rent "deal" for the whatever that last version you could get with out renting it because Adobe screwed up. They had an info breach and she was having all these problems with the subscription not working and after a couple of months in came out that they had blocked her card because it was one of a bunch that had been stollen off their system. They had a breach and failed to notify card owners OR the credit card company.

Anyway after a lot of looking I settled in on Resolve and Fusion. The node thing took a bit to get used to but it is very powerfull and can really speed things up since you can take a bunch of nodes and save them as a new FX that you can then have in your library.

Cheers
SK

Scott Koue

http://www.scottkouesound.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0468138/
http://noizonnois.blogspot.com/
http://bugnoutofbabylon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6371 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  7:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not just Premiere (which I love and would never abandon) -- I use Lightroom, and Photoshop, and Audition and just about every single tool in the Adobe Suite so I will most likely always be subscribing. But I'm glad there are alternatives for other people.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page