Magnifying tool?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colonelphil

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  10:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Had An Idea, or at least I think I did, If anything like it has been created I'm not aware of it and I think I would be after over a year of AS YouTube tutorials, although anything can be missed, But I was thinking along the lines of a mask/patch type layer that would, by various degrees, increase or decrease the magnification of any part of the Project below it, vector, group, bone, all of the layers and sub layers, or not, could be made a layer selection option maybe.
I can imagine it's use quite widely, such as, car windows on a low enough magnification to be suitable, a magnifying glass it's self. A Glass of water or jar could then show a slightly distorted view of it's surroundings.
Like I said, I have seen nothing like it and I think It would give a great look to our animations and if there is such a way to achieve that slightly to greatly magnifying look with a tool or procedure that would work through virtually all layers out there please tell me about it as I have a lot of uses for such a tool or process.
I Know wonderful things can be done with masks...(Que Synthsin at this point.) But I'm not aware of any Magnification/fish eye lens within masks that could provide the effect or that could permeate that many layers and sub layers.
Anybody know of such or even think such is possible?
Thanks.

"Life is but a dream zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  07:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could have sworn you can do this already because I had been thinking about doing an animation with exactly that effect (a magnifying glass a la Sherlock) when this feature became available. But I'm equally sure I have zero idea how to do it (but I've been away from AS a bit too long right at the moment).

If anyone would know it would be Wes so perhaps he'll chime in here one way or the other.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1246 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this works for image layers http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27201

it was done in AS8.2 so a lot has changed since then.

I'm guessing but .... in AS11 it should be possible to make mask a copy by ref of magnifier; and similarly the second image could be a copy by ref. Substituting a vector (group) for the image layers will need a bit more work to prevent the points moving with the magnifier control bones.
Go to Top of Page

Colonelphil

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  09:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hayasidist,
I think I can work with that, and Mike I hope your time away from AS is derived from a positive choice rather than a negative lack thereof.
Either of you guys ever need a little voice-over work just let me know, I grew up doing cartoon voice impersonations, and eventually expanded out to TV and Movie Actors,
No charge. just a way of saying Thanks, for past and future assistance, You were right Mike, it's beginning to get easier.
As I am a great believer in the philosophy that you can have anything you want in this life, if you're willing to do whatever it takes to have it. ( My own personal "code" I add is... "within reason and decency." ...which is defined by the individual.)...I also am somewhat well traveled and as such have picked up several different dialects from this country as well as abroad (Navy). So ... Just let me know because it's something I love and am doing anyway and if I Know what You Want, it is quick and easy to create.
Thanks again guys.

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My time away is mostly because I've been working in 3D animation, but I will be returning to AS.

Voice actors are always in high demand almost anywhere, and although I have access to a large number I can always use more so I may well take you up on that offer.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Colonelphil

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  1:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I'd be honored. I really love doing that stuff. I had an uncle who was a radio announcer since the 50's and at Myrtle Beach for quite a bit of it, during it's hay-day.
When I Was 22 he taught me the skills, as it were, and I just went form there.
Though I became an auctioneer at 18 ( that's how you get to be a Colonel, or at least one way.) ... so the lack of fear of public speaking and voice output was already there, just had to get rid of the southern accent. or at least tweak it for the locals.
OH and while I'm Here, is there anyone on the forum that you know of who may know a bit more than I do about Copyrights and the loop holes,possibly, therein? It would seem they can vary.
I've got my character secured (the other chicken folks can't touch me ) But I Have A Project in mind that I might need to check into Others first, maybe someone who may have experienced such or avoided such? No biggie just trying to make a short cut of it.

Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1246 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  12:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a further thought on the magnifier.. if you can live with linear magnification - IOW no "bulge" - the through the lens:

group -- masking reveal all
> magnifier glass -- vector -- don't mask -- stroke only (i.e. unfilled shape) or with a mostly transparent tint
> enlarged image -- group -- group masking: hide all -- don't mask this layer
>> image copy -- vector copy by ref of image -- on frame 0 layer scaled up -- mask this layer
>> glass copy -- vector copy by ref of magnifier glass -- on frame 0 shape fill to 100% opacity -- add to mask keep invisible
> image -- vector - mask this layer
> glass copy -- vector copy by ref of glass copy -- subtract from mask

NB: the workspace will not show the correct masking, but a render will!

point motion animation of magnifier glass will be replicated into its 2 clones automatically; similarly for the two image layers.

let me know if you want to see an example!
Go to Top of Page

Colonelphil

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2016 :  8:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Again Hayasidist
I believe I get it from what you've written though I never refuse an example as they can make easy references,
Speaking of references, that's a topic/feature, in AS, that I have yet to truly explore.
IOW ... not sure how they really work or how to properly use them and have seen where others have problems with them ...but I guess it's time to start studying that particular aspect of AS.
I remembered that I had a collection called "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection" so I spent most of yesterday getting to be a kid again...watching Bugs Bunny and his cohorts...then I Copied the ones I saw with the animation I Liked, then proceeded To edit them down to short clips with different walk cycles in them or other animation that I liked, then either cut them up further as PNG's or import the clip into AS and Just Key my rig to match the extremes then add my own in betweens. Then just save the bone animation to that particular walk style and use it whenever I need to with whatever character that has that rig.
Makes it easier for me ...

Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1246 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2016 :  05:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's the example: https://www.mediafire.com/?dcsyk9yc8suukjo

neat idea with the Looney Tunes as reference material!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page