Other Software
 GWX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  8:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man oh man what has MS done? They hijacked my PC and forced me to upgrade to windows 10. No mater how many times I blocked updates to my PC, MS would still constantly use pop ups on my PC wanting me to upgrade. I would open the task manager and shut down GWX and ten minutes later it would be back. I even disables all upgrades and they still managed to keep shoving windows 10 on me.

Anyone else using windows 7-8 having this issue?

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  9:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, while my laptop has asked me once to upgrade I simply said no and there was no further asking.

I'm not so sure it's totally MS that's doing it to you -- you might want to make sure your PC maker isn't doing it behind the scenes (and if it IS MS I'm sure you can turn it off).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  9:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons

No, while my laptop has asked me once to upgrade I simply said no and there was no further asking.

I'm not so sure it's totally MS that's doing it to you -- you might want to make sure your PC maker isn't doing it behind the scenes (and if it IS MS I'm sure you can turn it off).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Can you check and see if you have the GWX running in the background in your task manager?

Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  03:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have GWX running here, but it only shows up as a notification icon, that I've moved to hidden. I only do important updates, and I think I told it 'not now' for Win10 the only time I had a popup. If you've done that (not telling it to remind you, if that was an option), I would agree with Mike in suspecting your PC manufacturer is pushing it on you. I also seem to remember (but may be wrong) that I've read that once you claim your copy of Win10 you are hounded until you download and install it. I don't know if there's any solution in that case.

My general rule on a new OS is to wait for the second service pack, so I probably won't be talking MS up on the free Win10 offer.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  08:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GWX is running in the background on both my laptop and desktop and, yes, no pesky notifications other than that first one.

My machines are running just fine right now and I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thinking nowadays (my days of life on the bleeding edge have long past). Also, in reading the many reviews of Win 10 I really don't see any compelling reason to upgrade anyway -- there's nothing there at all that I would have a desire for (the Win "Siri" would be nice but for it to really work you need to use Internet Explorer and the whole MS ecosystem of mail and calendaring, which I will never do). Win 10 may be one OS I'll just pass by this decade.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  11:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the pop up there was no option to select "not now." I had to either select upgrade now or hit ctrl alt del and close it via task manager and after I ended the task it would just pop back up after a few minutes. I even had all updates turned off.

Edited by - sbtamu on 11/29/2015 11:40:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  11:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, it had a "cancel" button for me.

Don't know why yours is so persistent -- again, might be related to your computer maker.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  12:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I caved in and upgraded. I just didn't like the way it was forced on me. I really did not like the way windows 8.1 operated anyways. So far it seems to work OK.

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  3:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, good for you. As I said, it ain't gonna happen for me (I just have WAY too many hardware and software issues I could not afford to have stop working).

I had been thinking of playing with it on my Surface Pro but I ended up giving that to my wife so I won't be mucking about there either.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page