Reporting bugs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  6:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought it'd be nice to have this information here since we have no access to Mike Clifton on this forum. This sounds like a better way to handle bug reporting anyway.

-Wes

-------------------------------------------------------------

Smith Micro has an internal bug tracking system, and although the forum is helpful for airing issues and helping one another with workarounds, sometimes bugs can get missed if the only place they're written down is here.

So, if you do encounter what you believe is a new bug in Anime Studio, please report it to Smith Micro using the following URL. This was provided to me by our technical support staff, and is the preferred method for us to track issues.

Thanks,

-Mike

----------------------------------

If you have an issue or problem with Anime Studio please send us a report. Our team will look in to the problem and get back to you as soon as possible.
To contact the Graphics Support team please read the instructions detailed in this article:

Title: Contacting Smith Micro Customer Service and Support
URL: http://support.smithmicro.com/cs/smkb.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1854 https://support.smithmicro.com/ (Select the "Start a New Incident" tab to report a bug.)

Please include this information:

1.) Operating System and Version Number including Language if non English Version of the OS
2.) System Details (Processor, Installed RAM, Video Card Model, Video Card RAM, Video Card Driver Version, etc…)
3.) Product Version from About Product Screen
4.) Product Serial Code

5.) Step by Step details to reproduce the issue including the exact text of any error messages. Please attach either a Screen Shot or Text File of the Error Message or Report.

DO NOT enter the Log Text into the Body of the message. If you need to include a report or your System Detail Report, please Log In to the Support Console and upload the Report as a separate File. Failure to do so can delay your response or require you to resubmit the requested information.

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  6:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also shows how much actual attention that 'official' forum may really receive.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  7:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is definitely a better way of reporting bugs -- and I have several to report.
Go to Top of Page

Stan

103 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  01:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doesn't that Mike's post on LM.com mean that LM.com is not the Anime Studio's official site anymore? Like "Place the bugs along with workarounds here, you'll help someone, but it's not the actual bug reports, nobody in SM really cares about them."?
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  06:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think so Stan. It's just that you need a more formal process to handle bug reports.

There are pros and cons in reporting bugs on a forum like this. The pro, of course, is that someone can verify if it truly is a bug and if it isn't they can correct you (you might just be doing something wrong or misunderstanding how the program works). The con is that it's *very* hard to keep track of things without a formal database/process you can work through. And they also tend to end up all over the place. Someone still has to go through and collect them and that's not an easy process.

Now, if I had a criticism of the LM forum at all (and I'm not *necessarily* making it here) it's that this sort of job should have been left up to the mods but the mods there really aren't mods in a classic sense when it comes to an official product forum. Nearly all mods on such a forum are either paid employees of that company OR they are folks who have an aptitude at moderation. Being a mod, like being a teacher, is a skill that not everyone has or can learn, and the mods at the LM forum are mostly just people that like the product. A mod on such a forum should *never* make things worse, for example, even if that means they must swallow their own pride and/or personality. Can you imagine an Apple mod flaming someone? They'd be fired or removed so fast their head would spin.

So in a perfect world a mod on the LM forum would be responsible for collecting the bugs and entering them into a SM database for Mike to handle. That would give us both the advantages of a forum for bug reporting as well as a systematic way of tracking these things. But they don't have those kinds of mods so therefore it isn't practical.

I am encouraged by this more official process and think that Mike will indeed stay on target and address the things that need to be addressed, as well as have more time to improve the product. There aren't many things wrong with AS, and I'm really hopeful the next point release will address nearly all of them.
Go to Top of Page

super8mm
Silver Member

803 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  12:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got this bug and maybe it's not maybe there is something about my setup where I did soemthing wrong. I have a garbage can with trash in it, the trash and the can are on 3 layers.

"Can2" is the front art of the can
"trash" is the trash in the middle
"Can" is the back of the inside of the can

If I don't put the trash on the top layer, instead of the middle, it appears behind the can.

http://img515.yfrog.com/i/bug1j.jpg/
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  1:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only way I get what you show in that picture is if I do some z-axis layer translation with depth sort enabled. So check if you have that enabled for your bone layer. If so, the translate layer tool should show the z coordinates as non-zero. If that's not the case, I'd probably have to see the file.
Go to Top of Page

super8mm
Silver Member

803 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  10:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one that I just discovered, the shading on the bottom of the character, and it's a zoom in so it's not because I cut the character out at the bottom but it's shaded as if I did. Also a double shading on the hand. When you preview ctrl+r it doesn't do this. I rendered this movie in 1440 x 960 bmp image sequence.

http://img193.yfrog.com/i/bug1jb.jpg/
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just tried that out and it's definitely a bug. For some dumb reason it's constraining the fill effect to the output region. Why anyone would want it to do that is beyond me. I'm not sure what the exact cause of the shading doubling is though.
Go to Top of Page

rogermate

300 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  1:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by super8mm

I got this bug and maybe it's not maybe there is something about my setup where I did soemthing wrong. I have a garbage can with trash in it, the trash and the can are on 3 layers.

"Can2" is the front art of the can
"trash" is the trash in the middle
"Can" is the back of the inside of the can

If I don't put the trash on the top layer, instead of the middle, it appears behind the can.

http://img515.yfrog.com/i/bug1j.jpg/

I've got two ideas, and my apologies in advance if they are too simplistic and not the problem. Might masking be on inadvertently? Might the forward most layer of the trash can have a region bigger than you remember?

I see that the back of the can is in an image layer. I'm guessing that in the future there will be some garbage particles that will come out of the can?

I like the drawing of the can and the garbage
Go to Top of Page

tinnycan

83 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  4:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They say they fixed that "white fuzz" bug, but it still happens to me. I guess I'll report it.
Go to Top of Page

super8mm
Silver Member

803 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread need to be updated. Smithmicro redesigned the site a new url is needed. I couldn't even download the upadate without using chat support to send me to the download as my serial number didn't work on the http://anime.smithmicro.com/updates.html page
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  6:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric. I've added the current url to SM support to the first post.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page