Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  8:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The FAQ already says:

"Asking and answering questions are both equally good contributions..."

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Teccom

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  9:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the reply's. I just thought it was a little strange to see. In fact it was my son who saw it before me. hopefully soon I put a video up. With all the help from the members here it should look ok. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Ahroo
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  11:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I would add my thoughts about the 50-post rule (and no, not to pad my count!):

I understand the reason behind it - namely to encourage participation on the forums, and I think that is certainly reasonable.

However, I think we also need to consider why some people (e.g. me) may not make very many posts:

1) I always try to research a problem/question first. Almost always, someone else has already had the same question or problem and so the answer is already available. I don't want to waste anyone's time by asking a question again.

2) I am not an expert at all on Anime Studio, even though I have been using it since version 5. I am just a part-time hobbyist, unlike many of you who use the program regularly, and my animation skills and program knowledge are really quite basic. Half the time, I don't even understand the questions being asked! There are a lot of people who know this program much, much better than I, and they are the ones who are in the best position to answer questions and offer advice and suggestions. I can certainly provide an opinion about something, but actual knowledge is limited.

3) There have been times when I felt I actually did know the answer to something, but someone else had already beaten me to it! Some of you seem to "live" on the forum and post responses very quickly (thank god!). There would be nothing else that I could add other than "yeah, what s/he said."

So, just because one doesn't post frequently, that doesn't mean that there is a lack of interest. I learn a LOT by reading these posts and am extremely grateful to those of you who run it and post on here.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  3:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are good thoughts, Laura.

And just to be clear, not everyone who frequents here needs to have access to the VIP section. It does contain some useful tools, but many of them would be lost on someone like in your number (2). It's almost like that old saying where if you have to ask the price you can't afford it -- if you don't have enough posts to get access to the VIP section, the odds are that you don't NEED access to that section.

We love each and every one of our members here and hope everyone feels welcomed, whether they are VIP access folks or not. I think folks like yourself, Laura, who has been around for three years, is probably MORE valued than some of the people who have gotten access to the VIP section in a month or two. We appreciate you sticking with us over the years and just on the basis of longevity would probably grant you access to that section if you wanted it.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Ahroo
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  5:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mike, and I will try to be a more active participant!
Go to Top of Page

dueyftw

217 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  10:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have gotten to 83 posts and not in the VIP scripting club. The truth is you can do most things with out scripts. It only takes longer. There are a few scripts that put AS on a different level but I wouldn't know because I only use one or two scripts. IMPORT IMAGE SEQUENCE is the one I use the most and it is part of the program.
My point is that your knowledge of AS and skills as an animator are way more important than having scripts that you may or may not need.

Dale

Edited by - dueyftw on 10/24/2013 10:29:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  10:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes we need reminders. Check again.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Noiz2

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  09:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Noiz2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dueyftw

My point is that your knowledge of AS and skills as an animator are way more important than having scripts that you may or may not need.

Dale

I would agree. I'm a hobbyist as far as AS is concerned and was hot to get all the cool tools. And you can find a lot of scripts with out VIP access. But I started adding tools before I learned the built in tools and kind of got into a mess with it. So I reinstalled back to basics. There are tools I know I will want to add but I've gotten over the techno lust stage and it's really better to get some foundation befor you get you hands on a lot of things that could just make life difficult.

I know that was not the main goal of the 50 post rule but it is a good side benefit.

Cheers
SK

Scott Koue

http://www.scottkouesound.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0468138/
http://noizonnois.blogspot.com/
http://bugnoutofbabylon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

F.M.
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  09:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope to reach post #50 by the year 2025!

New geezer with old memories.
Go to Top of Page

JOHN MULLER

175 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've gotten over the techno lust stage and it's really better to get some foundation befor you get you hands on a lot of things that could just make life difficult.

I know that was not the main goal of the 50 post rule but it is a good side benefit.

You and Dale are right. I became overwhelmed and didn’t touch my A.S. for over a year (that almost looks dirty). I believe that it was that, “techno lust” that caused my mind to crash instead of the computer. Since upgrading to 9 I have not installed a single script yet because I need to learn the basics and have that solid foundation.

Perfect example of how easily I get confused, I couldn't figure out how to use the whole "reply with a quote" button.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  10:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

The only problem you had is including the backslash at the start of the HTML tag (it goes at the end, "closing" the code).

I took it out for you to show you the difference (although as a rule I don't like editing someone else's post in cases like this because now it's hard for others to see what we were talking about).

I'll demo here:

[/quote] this is wrong because it starts with a backslash [/quote]

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

JOHN MULLER

175 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
this is wrong because it starts with a backslash
[/quote]

thanks mike
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  7:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I would highly suggest that new users be fully familiarized with the default tools before using custom ones. For one, if you don't know what you really need, you'll end up installing everything under the sun. No one needs every script out there, and the tool window has very limited space. Besides, most AS tutorials use the default tools.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Teccom

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  08:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well put Synth Sin75. I come here to see what other people have done, and hopefully pick up a tip or two. For that I am thankful.
Go to Top of Page

oldnovice
Starting Member

43 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  12:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit oldnovice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is the right place to post this: I just watched some really interesting tutorials on Kelleytoons scripts - Mike said these scripts (automatic rigging, unlimited design, assisted walk) would be available in a public area, you wouldn't even have to be a member of this forum to get them. I tried search for "unlimited" but couldn't locate any scripts. Are they available somewhere?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page