Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

mykylr
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  08:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses folks. No idea whats happening with that site then as I get 404 errors for all the files so far. This is both in Firefox and Safari.

Cheers

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  08:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike (from another Mike :>),

Don't worry too much about the VIP section -- it's not as if there is a TON of stuff in there. It's there mostly as a carrot to *reward* participation in this forum, not so much a secret place that you are missing out on.

We are always available to answer any questions you might have here, and if you are looking for scripting help that can get gotten here as well -- again, the VIP section is a place where there are a few goodies but nothing you can't live without. As we try and say again and again, the way these forums are beneficial is through folks asking and answering questions, and anything that can be done to encourage that is good for us all.

And welcome!
Go to Top of Page

jonbo

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  8:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike or Wes, I've made over 50 posts. Can you please check and see if I qualify for entrance into the V.I.P. section or if I need to make some more significant contributions? I've tried really really hard to not be spammy.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  9:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just gave you access, John.

Most people shouldn't worry too much about the "significance" of their posts. Even just genuinely asking or answering questions is sufficient. Asking questions is just as important to keeping this forum going as answering or posting techniques or tutorials, and we hope everyone who gets past 50 posts still find reasons to post here. Without posters we wouldn't have any reason to keep this forum up, and if it goes so does the expertise of Mike and myself, as well as a free access to my scripts (and feedback is appreciated if you use my scripts).

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

jonbo

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  9:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx Wes, I have found that between this forum and the LM site, I get a broad spectrum of techniques and opinions of animation. So I will continue to post here and there. I like that there is a place I can go to get advice or opinions on my animations. And there are lot of nuggets of info in the archives that I still want to find and use.
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

504 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  12:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also thanks for being one of the top newbie helpers.
Go to Top of Page

PRIMAL MORON

55 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  7:54:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been awhile since I posted, But this has been bugging me for weeks...
I apologize if this comes off as griping, but hear me out.

It seems to me 50 is a rather high number for scripts, especially if some people plan on selling them eventually anyways...
Most of the scripts I feel, had better be worth the 50 posts I put in...
Still, this forum is considered pretty small, it's more productive than the main AS forum, but small...
I'm a little curious why 50, and not something like 35 or so, keep in mind it takes a good member (that doesn't spam) quite some time to achieve these posts.
Also, as a lurker of both forums... I kinda consider this a monopoly on ASP scripts...
I haven't seen a descent discovery nor script post on the official forum in about 2 months that I felt was worth my time.
You guys are entitled to the scripts you make, and I'm not asking you to hand them over, but please be reasonable about this...
And to be honest, you're not really protecting your scripts... People will be more than happy to share behind your backs, so it's not really so much a matter of security, but more so a way to gain more posts and receive more traffic, which is kinda like hanging it over our heads if you ask me.

I'm not trying to create an argument here, heck, this would be an excellent debate point with a good resolution.

If you don't feel like changing that, that's fine, you guys are the ones in control here... But I feel you have the right to know these points and I want to be heard about this topic that's been bugging me in my mind for weeks...

Thank you for your time and understanding,
Primal Moron
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

504 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  8:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This has been discussed already, see this exchange between jurjen and SynthSin75: Comming soon...(tool)

Edited by - neeters_guy on 12/31/2011 8:42:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  8:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How is 50 post a high number? If you visit this forum once a day and just read the recent topics and respond with answers to questions or give your constructive critiques to those that ask of it, you will reach 50 post in just a few weeks.

Me personally have never really even looked into the script section. Scripts are not why I joined this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Go to Top of Page

jonbo

USA
150 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  9:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're looking at this the wrong way. The majority of the scripts in there belong to Mike and WES and all they ask is that you PARTICIPATE in the discussions here. If you read this thread, then you know the 50 post rule is not arbitrary and some have been admitted early and some later. I'm sure if you wrote a couple of useful scripts and presented them here, they would let you in early. This would also probably give you insight on why they have set it up this way. Scripting is not easy, which is why you haven't seen a lot of new scripts on the other forum. Maybe you should give it a whirl. I also believe that if you have stayed around for 50 posts, then you would feel part of this community and maybe stay around and continue to participate, instead of cherry picking the scripts and running off. BTW, it's not like there are a lot of scripts in there but there were some surprises that I found useful.
Go to Top of Page

PRIMAL MORON

55 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  9:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize that I came off as harsh, I really hate picking fights...
The issue at hand is I don't have 50 days to post this stuff on post a day at a time...
I only have about a week till college starts for me and by then i'll be far too busy with stuff to really get on...
By then, I HAVE to be ready for my courses, my job will be graphic design and possibly animation as a side thing, and then even when it lets out i'll have to start doing stuff about a job.
I will participate if that's what it takes, but if I can't get it done in a week, I'll never get the chance later... or worse, might forget.
I'm not trying to create problems, but there just isn't much time to go about making replies to 28 or so topics...

Sorry about making a fuss, I'll try to avoid it in the future.
Primal Moron
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  9:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ummm, If you are going to be busy at college and stuff and will not have time to spend 3-5 minutes a day reading/responding to post here, how would any of these scripts here be of any help to you in the 1st place since you will be way too busy to do any animations.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  10:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No worries, Primal, you haven't been overly demanding or harsh. MANY people gripe about that, and we realize that it may not be convenient.

For most people who frequent a forum regularly, 50 posts is nothing. It is these members we want to reward for helping us build the community. It is these members who help make this forum enjoyable and informative for anyone else who visits.

There should be enough demo videos to judge whether the scripts may be worth your time, and as a script author it's completely my prerogative as to what I think my own time is worth. It's not as if scripters get any support or consideration from Smith Micro for their work. Yes, people could distribute these behind our backs, but that's another reason for the 50 posts. Our hope is that after spending that much time here, and seeing what was available in the VIP, that people will consider the value worth honoring (or at least not worth risking the loss of access to future scripts).

As you say, we are a small forum. We need to use everything at our disposal to grow the community, otherwise it is not worth the expense of keeping it up. For me, without this forum, all of my scripts would simply be proprietary, and no one would gain access to them.

But I do have plans to sell my scripts. Then you will have to weigh whether the time it took to earn however much I decide to charge for them is worth it. I know that doesn't help you right now, but I have time constraints myself.

-Wes

P.S. Many professional animators use AS, as-is, everyday. No script should be crucial to using AS.
Go to Top of Page

PRIMAL MORON

55 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  10:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did mention I will be doing animation as a side thing, but you do have a point there...
I tend to get excited about these things and get flustered so i tend not to think as clearly, but i don't want to end up forgetting and then have it all be for waste.
Listen, i'm not really in the mood to cause trouble here, at all...
I just got excited and handled the situation poorly, so again I apologize.

i'll try to work this out, sorry to cause so much a fuss,
Primal Moron
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not trouble -- it's okay to question anything (hey, you're in the prime of your life in terms of questioning things :>).

I, myself, have gotten frustrated when I go out to the web and find a forum that has something I need -- answers, files, even just the ability to post -- that requires me to have invested something (posting time, money, even sharing my email). In many cases I don't want to do that -- either I know I won't be on the forum much anyway (one time deal, perhaps) or I just WANT IT NOW! So I do understand the feelings.

As Wes says, the basic AS does everything you need it to do -- our scripts in the VIP forum (who are we kidding? Wes' scripts in the forum) make things easier, perhaps, or do some things that you might not be able to do but don't absolutely need to do. But if there wasn't value there it wouldn't be an incentive to post.

And that incentive benefits you. You lurk here, perhaps you visit maybe only once a month (or perhaps only during holidays, for example) but if there weren't any posts here there would be nothing of value. Without posts, this forum would disappear, and then there wouldn't be a place for the scripts so it's a circle of life, so to speak. Even lurkers benefit from people posting, and some times people need a nudge to post.

There are all kinds of things that motivate people to post on a forum -- they may need answers, they may like helping others, heck, it might be as simple as seeing the stars under their name grow (a very tiny reward to recognize people's contributions). It was Wes' idea for the VIP forum as still another way to encourage posting and I think it's a great idea. There are times I think that maybe 50 is too many... but there are also times I think 50 isn't enough. Perhaps it should be 100, or even more, to really reward those who stick with the forum and help others.

And even these kinds of discussions are worth having. It's kind of at the root of why have a forum in the first place. And, of course, we are particularly sensitive to that here because there already IS an official AS forum. If our place is just a duplicate or, even worse, not even as much value, we might as well close shop and go away (it would save me money, and that's not an insubstantial consideration). But it makes me feel good to hear you saying that perhaps we do have some extra added value over the Lost Marble forum, because that feedback does encourage me to keep this going.

(And you got at least three or four posts closer to your goal. So it's all good.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page