Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  5:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,

Some of you are asking about the VIP Scripting forum, and why we have said you will need 50 posts before you can enter it. Our forum is open and nothing of significance to members will occur behind closed doors -- this is really *your* forum and the only way it will become worthwhile is if you contribute to it. So I'd like to at least discuss it here.

First of all, as we all know there are "lurkers" and others who "hit and run" forums in order to grab things and post them elsewhere. They might even go so far as to claim credit for these things, but even if all they do is post it elsewhere it hurts us because then we have less reasons for folks to come here and participate.

Remember that any forum is only as good as the content posted on it, and if that content is available elsewhere then all members lose something (because it's a chicken/egg cycle where there is less posting and less members because of it).

Wes and I thought that 50 posts was a reasonable requirement because it meant that anyone who was really committed to being here and participating can get to that pretty quickly. We understand that it might encourage spam and/or meaningless posts ("Me too!") but we also hoped that most folks here would be adult enough not to engage in that. Also, we decided that such a requirement wouldn't be hard and fast, and that if someone demonstrated they were serious about helping and/or participating that we could allow them access even if they hadn't meant the 50 post limit.

These are early days (we've only been up and running for a couple of weeks) and we are trying to shake things out so I'd ask at least that you consider this rule as a work in progress. If it works out that it's not fair, or produces bad results we'll change it, we promise.

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2009 :  5:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And so far there's nothing of note in there. Believe me, when there is, we will post about it in the general AS discussion area. I've been thinking that, when I post something really noteworthy, I'll probably go ahead and invite the steady contributors. Or at least send them copies of what's in there, if they want them.

As Mike says, this is only meant to encourage our community to grow and protect our hard work from being looted.
Go to Top of Page

madrobot

Australia
244 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  9:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Synthsin, please keep your posts relevant.

It's quickly becoming apparent that your off-the-cuff replies are simply intended to boost your post count so that you'll be in prime position to leech your own scripts.

That is all.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madrobot

Synthsin, please keep your posts relevant.

It's quickly becoming apparent that your off-the-cuff replies are simply intended to boost your post count so that you'll be in prime position to leech your own scripts.

That is all.

He says, increasing his post count.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2009 :  10:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, it's all I can do to keep up with Wes (and I'm the *admin*).
Go to Top of Page

super8mm
Silver Member

803 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  12:37:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been almost a year, I've asked for help and given advice and I've done 32 posts at Lost Marbles and was recently invited to come here. I guess I'm not meant to be looking or contributing at *your* scripts anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  6:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As we said, the rule is not hard and fast and personally the thing is more the quantity than the quality.

And, as Wes says, he doesn't have anything of note there yet, so Don't Panic! If you stick around here and read what's happening and participate as you feel necessary and something significant DOES happen (and you'll know -- it will appear noticed elsewhere) just drop me an email and I'm sure we can handle the situation.

(One thing for sure -- we ain't the government and we're not the software police. Perhaps it's more like the "50 Post Guideline").
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  8:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are just trying to build a sense of community here. If that's not you interest, that's fine, but we want some of our work to benefit the community here, and only here. Like Mike said, if you appear to be a fixture here, we certainly be more than happy to bend that guideline.

The guideline of 50 posts really only exists to let people know how much we value that section and its potential value to our members. Also, if we ever get big enough to miss someone, they can always pipe up and let us know they've been active here.
Go to Top of Page

super8mm
Silver Member

803 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize now that scripts are located elsewhere... now.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  2:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And just to be clear -- we are in no way connected to the Lost Marble forum. We encourage members to join there because it's the only "official" Anime Studio forum, but we think we have some unique content (and more to come) that makes it worthwhile to participate here as well.
Go to Top of Page

ulrik

Sweden
358 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  4:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit ulrik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm dying of curiosity to see behind the VIP Scripting section and I have reached over the 50 post rule, can I ....?
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  5:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ulrik, I just added everyone above fifty posts access to it. There's really nothing much to see yet.
Go to Top of Page

ulrik

Sweden
358 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  5:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit ulrik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it's been like the closed door you always walked by when you were young, probably there was a dead body inside......or a treasure...maybe an old woman that could put a spell on you or something....lol, well I'm 50 now but I still can feel the excitement about it.
cheers!

Edited by - ulrik on 08/27/2009 5:25:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

504 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  11:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, at 9 posts, I have a ways to go...but it's not a race, right?
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll get there.

As Wes says, nothing to see, move along now folks... Both he and I have been busy (albeit in different ways) making contributing content there a little harder than first imagined. But we do think there's tons of nice content elsewhere on the forum, so even those with few posts (and even those lurkers :>) can benefit from visiting here.
Go to Top of Page

Funksmaname
Silver Member

660 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  02:46:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Funksmaname's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, so as a newcomer i hope not to ruffle too many feathers, upset anyone or disrespect the way you've chosen to do things - but i think what I have to say is an important discussion for this forum.

firstly, as someone who's made over 800 posts on the AS forum I find it a bit strange to have to 'grind' to get behind a locked door. I understand the issue with 'hit and runners' but there's also obviously a problem here with people from the lost marble forum posting in two places for no real reason, and then responding to the same posts in both places - again for no reason... seems odd to me.

The amount of the same posts in both places by the same people that i've noticed today is quite bizarre, and I'm guilty of doing it myself today as I thought the audience was completely different to the LM forum, but the more I looked the more it appears it's largly the same people - just that some of them have decided, for reasons I am totally oblivious of, not to use the other forum.

I may be well off the mark, but it appears (from past experiences) that this seems very much like a personal rift between mods more than any legitimate reason to try building a new community... The differentiating factor of this forum should be unique content, and maybe the 'VIP scripts' forum is where that content is, but it seems extremely confusing to me to double post/comment across exactly the same threads with largly similar responses over several sites without making a 'i will only use one forum' statement... that's not healthy for either site or the community as a whole surely?

Personally, as a frequenter of both sites, I think double posting should be discouraged - but then due to certain members not posting on the other site for whatever reason i realise that can make problems...? both sites need unique and interesting content to survive...

Again, I'm really just opening a discussion here, i dont want to step on peoples toes so don't take this as an offense, but i dont see people posting on duplicate threads when they've already made their input over at the other forum which damages the sites progress?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page