Problems, Solutions, and General Discussion
 Blend Morphs vs MorphDials discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Funksmaname
Silver Member

660 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  4:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Funksmaname's Homepage  Reply with Quote
having posted this elsewhere:

here's an obvious difference between AS stock morph blends and MorphDials

exhibit A: Using Rudiger's morph dials with only two actions active - down at 100% and blink at 90% (ish) you get what you'd expect, a down looking face in almost full blink

exhibit B: Using AS' stock Bone Morphs the same combination of actions doesn't work - it forces the eyes back to their original position where the action was first created... this makes no sense to me and totally limits the usefulness.

The main advantage of AS' is that feedback is a lot smoother (although as shown above, wrong. With Rudiger's once you have complex characters real-time feedback is impossible and you have to start using 'bake' actions to see the result (for a single frame this is almost instant)

a discussion was started on someone elses thread which I thought only fair to move...

Wes - no, both poses are made entirely of point motion - i've no idea how it intelligently mixes them 'in place' but it sure does! it's not a fixed pose mixer like the blend morphs are, it somehow works as you'd expect, not smooshing things to their original position! Infact, i'm not sure layer translation in actions is yet supported - but we're close to getting a new release which has been completely re-written and apparently makes adding ANY layer inclusion easy

maybe Rudiger can shed some light as to how this works?

Edited by - Funksmaname on 06/23/2011 4:52:33 PM

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4637 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  4:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Rudiger will explain how the poses are intelligently blended like that.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Rudiger

51 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  9:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SynthSin75

Perhaps Rudiger will explain how the poses are intelligently blended like that.

-Wes

Hehe, you guys make it sound like it's a lot fancier than it is. What I do differently to BlendMorphs is blend the differences between each action and frame 0 instead of blending the actions directly. I guess you would call it difference or relative blending. I've asked Mike to add a checkbox to the Blend Morph tool for relative blending since AS6, but no luck as of yet . Maybe if other people requested it as well we could get it added. This would mean that I could use the script interface of Blend Morphs for my morph dials script and it would be hugely faster.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4637 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  9:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I see. Yeah, that's simple but clever, and definitely a needed improvement on BlendMorphs. It's hard to see why MC hasn't already implemented that, as it's simple enough.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Funksmaname
Silver Member

660 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  10:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Funksmaname's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right - i'm going to start a patition on the other forum! If we can get MD working in real time i would so die happy.
Go to Top of Page

chucky
Silver Member

Australia
711 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2011 :  10:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit chucky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't believe that SM didn't fix the pose morph window issue.
Does the dev team try and use these features after designing them?

Sequential Offender
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6507 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  06:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chucky
Does the dev team try and use these features after designing them?

The $64K question.

It's most likely that no one on the beta actually uses AS in production. I mean that -- I suspect there aren't any beta folks who rely upon AS day in and day out to produce work for money. There may not even be any who regularly use AS to produce finished full-length works (I use that term to distinguish it from those who produce little "vanity" videos of a minute or two that aren't produced using an established workflow with timeline and production schedules).

That's my only possible explanation for things that would easily be caught with anyone who does do those things (I know I've found bugs in AS within a week upon release that should NEVER have gotten out of alpha, let alone beta).

I do believe the AS beta program has gotten so in-bred over the years there wasn't anyone willing to tell the Emperor he had no clothes. I can only hope that with Fahim back on board things will change.

Go to Top of Page

ponysmasher

Sweden
88 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ponysmasher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rudiger

What I do differently to BlendMorphs is blend the differences between each action and frame 0 instead of blending the actions directly.

Damn it, that really bugs me. Knowing that such a simple solution could improve so much. And the fact that Mike has known about it for a long time...
Go to Top of Page

SvenFoster
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  12:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd go as far as to say that the AS version is "broke". what is the point of blending actions if it overrides the nuences created by another pose? A fact that rudiger obviously spotted when he wrote his *awesome* script.

I would also have to agree with our esteemed host that they either don't beta test or the beta testers have been working with the dev "team" for so long they are suffering stockholm syndrome with a dose of group think and dont want to rock the boat.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4637 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2011 :  1:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps everyone needs to start using the sticky at the top of this section more. http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animators/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=86 The more people reporting these bugs the better. And this is much more direct then hoping someone at SM will catch a specific thread on the LM forum. Perhaps if enough support is shown on the forum, someone can then file a bug report including a link to show the consensus.

Here's the SM bug reporting address:

http://support.smithmicro.com/cs/smkb.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1854

Click the "Report new incident tab".

-Wes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page