New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dollhead
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  07:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't see an intro thread so I might do it here.

It might be good to explain what I'm actually doing here, seeing's that I'm not an animator myself but a musician.

I commissioned a youtube animator to make a music video, (linked here in) and I am keen to start a tradition of doing this with all my music videos.
I liked his style because the "ironically bad, and therefore interesting/funny/strange" resonated quite a bit with the sound I
think my stuff winds up sounding like.

I myself (the character Dollhead), and the greater music band I'm tethered to, has become a kind of "creative collective"
Although Dr.Mindflip is essentially the band at the core of the stuff we do, we do Art installations too for school and festivals, interactive films and have people like film makers, animators, engineers who probably do as much work as us the musicians, if not more.

I didn't mean to go on,
If anyone one here has odd/strange/unusual animations or animation styles, and they'd like me to watch, I would love to do that. (I will, of course scour the forums and watch videos, etc, besides)

Thank you for letting me join.

'Howya'

Edited by - Dollhead on 01/25/2019 07:38:31 AM

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6491 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  08:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really my kind of work, but I'm not your target audience anyway.

Thanks for joining and posting. The vast majority of folks here work in 2D (and use Moho/Anime Studio) but there are some, like myself, who are into 3D animation (I use iClone). It's good to see a variety of styles and techniques, so you might want to share information about what software you are using.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Dollhead
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2019 :  4:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get ya.
Cheers.

'Howya'
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1352 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  09:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome - I have an open mind on styles - music and animation - but as you say, the Yommy animation is so "bad" by traditional measures that it's almost a classic (I'm thinking such as Plan 9 from outer space and other "worst movies of all time").

is the music typical of your style or do you others too?

Go to Top of Page

Dollhead
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  8:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you're hitting close to the idea there.

The animation is Surreal Entertainment, he does "ironically terrible animation" (and is a very nice person to work with). He's made a name for himself on youtube.

The music is typical of my style but as it's electronic, this can change wildly depending on what you define as 'typical'.

We're also part of a bigger band (with singing/instruments) called Dr.Mindflip, our stuff is like lower budget Frank Zappa, Mr.Bungle, that kinda stuff.

A running theme of our work is "ironically terrible" and we've written an album about Tommy Wiseau's film 'The Room'

'Howya'

Edited by - Dollhead on 01/29/2019 8:26:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1352 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  3:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
curiosity only at this stage for the Dollhead music - do you create a "score" (e.g. https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/graphic-scores-art-music-pictures/cage-aria/) or is it just busked in using whatever technology works for you?

reason behind my question is - it's "abstract" music and so abstract art may be a good match - and if you already have something as in that link you have an interesting starting point for an animation... or vice-versa???
Go to Top of Page

Dollhead
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2019 :  9:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Lehmann's terms, most electronic music is "written and arranged" in DAW's (Digital Audio Workstations).
DAW's have two languages as it were; they can deal directly with audio (actual sound waves) and can help you manipulate and control this sound material directly.

The other language as it were, is setting up sound making tools in your DAW (synthesizers, sound effects units, etc) which you may "write and record instructions for" in Midi (Midi is a system invented in the 80's for sending performance information from one digital instrument to another).

Cage's work above is an example of abstract music script.
It's more something you would give to a human performer.

I suppose if you wanted to be academic, it comes down to what a human performer needs to perform your composition, and what a Music Computer needs to replay your composition.
A computer wants midi/data and processes it can run.
A Human wants a score, expression and something that's readable.

Also, if your interesting in visual-to-audio processes, computers like to "scan" images and translate the dimensions directly.
But for a more expressive translation of imagery, you'd need a human performer.

'Howya'

Edited by - Dollhead on 01/30/2019 9:06:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1352 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2019 :  07:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm somewhat familiar with *using* midi (not the detail of the actual encoding) - I generally use Sibelius (from Avid) for scores for my work. It's a standard 5-line stave notation; but it does have the option to add midi commands and will accept input as midi files (or, indeed, from a midi keyboard plugged in to the computer). With careful (time consuming!!) tweaking it can get close to a human interpretation of a score. I had a short dalliance with a program called "PureData" (https://puredata.info/) which was a bit of an uphill learning curve given all the other stuff that I need to deal with.

The actual point of my question was to find out if you use something readable - by eyeball or machine - to create your music, be that standard 5-line staves, graphic score, pureData block diagram, or whatever ...

Go to Top of Page

Dollhead
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2019 :  9:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used Sibelius in university for composing work (to give to musically literate musicians to perform).,
It would never have occured to me to use a programme like that to create audio for use 'as music'., as it is essentially, just meant to be a play back guide.
But, now you;ve pointed it out to me, yes it would be useful for that.

I suppose to address your question then, the visual aspect to it, would be the DAW Sequencer itself, and it's various "piano rolls"

Piano rolls have often been used to depict imagery, e.g., this MIDI Unicorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3tiuGVDDkk

'Howya'
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1352 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2019 :  08:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the unicorn - very imaginative!!

and thanks for the info... it had never occurred to me until you actually said "piano roll" just how similar it is to the timeline window in Moho - example here:

food for thought!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page