Animation Compensation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thatonecow

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  10:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it acceptable to post on this forum soliciting animators?
Meaning if I wanted to pay someone to do some animation for me?

-Michael

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6464 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  11:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely. Although, truth be told, this forum is no where near as active as it used to be (so make sure you post on the Lost Marble forum as well).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

thatonecow

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  4:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's great news! Just wanted to be sure first though. And thanks for the Lost Marble suggestion.

Basically, I'm looking for someone who is proficient in Anime Studio (Moho) or whatever they want to call themselves these days who can help me with more of drawing/designing scenes vs. actual animating. Whoever is interested must be 18+ years old as the content is not meant for children. (Think: South Park or Family Guy without the bleeps) They would have to be able to imitate my 'style' of work. And I will provide reference links privately because of the potential of directing underage clicks.

Please don't respond unless you are very confident with your skills, I apologize but have been burned only once already, I just cannot accept any quality of work that is lower than what I can do myself. It has to match the style. How I would like to handle negotiations is: 1. I describe the scene/setup I am needing completely 2. You describe back to me in your own words the understanding of what I am asking for 3. We hash out any loose ends or questions that may arise. 4. You tell me how much you would need to provide what I am asking for. 5. Start working.

Please also, understand that this would be on an as-need basis so, there's no "full time" status option that I can offer. So, I would want to keep an open line of communication so I could request work/help as the need arises. Though, with the project nearing 10,000 subscribers on YouTube there is the potential for a long-term beneficial situation and growth if desired. It's definitely open for discussion.

So, if anyone is interested in helping out with something like this, reach out and we can talk further about it. Thanks to Mike Kelley for allowing me to post here and thanks to this forum community for all of the help I've been given over the years.

-Michael
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6464 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  5:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

You might also want to provide a link to your YouTube channel and, specifically, the artwork/project/sample you are looking for folks to animate in (the style, that is). It might give people an idea what you are looking for more specifically, and whether they can handle it.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

thatonecow

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  7:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure? The reason I didn't initially is because it's kind of offensive to some people. And I didn't want to direct youngsters to someplace that they probably shouldn't be. For the most part I have to trust that kids won't be looking at what they're not supposed to and thus leave it pretty much up to the parents as the YouTube channel is very public. I just didn't want to ruffle any feathers here, leaving it as to say if "potty mouth humor" is offensive to someone, they could choose to just not respond. But, I'll post it if you think it's ok.

-Michael
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4554 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  9:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as you post a content warning with the link, it's fine.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1324 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  06:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons

Absolutely. Although, truth be told, this forum is no where near as active as it used to be (so make sure you post on the Lost Marble forum as well).

It looks to me that the LM forum isn't as quite buzzing as it once was either!
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6464 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  2:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, that's a shame.

While I'm firmly entrenched now in 3D I still have great fondness for Moho/AS, and will continue to use it from time to time. I know there are other alternatives now that weren't there even as recent as a few years ago, but I still haven't seen anything that can beat it for doing what it does.

Maybe it's just a phase -- maybe all folks know everything they need to know and have all they need to have.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

thatonecow

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  3:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose that is a shame. It has been looking like Moho's user base has been shrinking so finding someone who knows the program and is willing to help is getting harder. I guess, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start diving into an alternative animation program.

quote:
While I'm firmly entrenched now in 3D

May I ask what program(s) you're using and how you are liking it/them? I've thought about moving into 3D myself but, figured the workload would be drastically increased.

Anyway, here's the link to my channel which comes with a warning:

*******************For Mature (18+) ONLY ***********************
https://www.youtube.com/c/thatonecow
***************Contains: Strong Language & Graphic Content ***************

-Michael
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6464 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  4:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

We (well, I) expanded the sections of this forum to include what I'm using, iClone, and there are several threads there showing some of my workflow and explaining things. I'll update it further now that I've got my new machine up and running (my very fast new machine. Yay me!).

For me the workflow is SO much easier, but that's because the thing that held me back so much in 2D was backgrounds (then again, I'm a lousy artist). Well, that and perspective and really anything other than a very simple 3/4 animation Family Guy style. 3D is where I first learned animation, but the time constraints of that (being able to actually animate people, for example, took years :>) just drove me away.

But now times have changed -- boy howdy. You can animate as fast or even faster in 3D than you can in 2D, and iClone boasts their "Real Time Animation" (not quite but close). I can now create things I could only dream of, even in 2D, and the resources are out there and easily available, so I don't have to be limited. I have more sets than I could ever possibly need in a lifetime, and more props and clothing as well. Creating characters is a breeze and fun, and so is animating again. What I used to dread in working in 2D has become something I look forward to.

I still think there is a certain charm in 2D which can't be emulated well, but 3D is clearly what most folks now prefer, and it's what I love to do again. It's always worth a try if you have any interest at all.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

thatonecow

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
the thing that held me back so much in 2D was backgrounds

That's exactly what I'm dealing with! Since I cannot draw worth a *bleep*. I constantly struggle with these multi perspective backgrounds and find myself saying "If I just learn to build it in 3D, I can simply put the camera where it needs to go and that would be that". I've looked at so many different 3D options (blendr, maya, poser, sketchup, even the Sims!... lol) and really haven't found anything that has called out "learn me, I'm pretty easy for backgrounds" yet. Just looking at a few vids on iclone, and it already looks promising. I'm kind of excited you mentioned that. I'm definitely going to check it out.

So, now after doing all of that 2D animation for hours on end, I'm kind of burned out and want to actually pay someone to build sets for me.

-Michael
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1324 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  12:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
building a 3d set in Moho isn't actually that hard once you get the hang of it. I tend to make a lot of use of it - this is "pure" Moho animation / camera https://youtu.be/KFcyaKehHxc (but with PS textures)
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6464 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  9:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course it isn't all about the backgrounds -- 3D frees you up from having to know how to draw in oh so many ways. Since I come from a more traditional film and theater background I understand all about camera setups, and lighting, and so doing something in 3D just seems completely natural, so much I can just concentrate on story.

And then there are the mocap tools to boot -- now I can "act" and allow the motion capture to save me having to animate. So it's a win-win in oh so many ways (my biggest issue now is I have to many directions I can do to it's hard to focus. I'm working on that :>).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page