Free Dog Groom in Orlando
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

180 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  9:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I haven't been on here a lot lately because I am trying to find a better job situation. It has been all work and no fun. Lol!

I am a certified groomer with Petco I have worked with them since 2013 and been a groomer since 2015. As many of you already know I am leaving because of poor management and am trying to quietly get out. I am applying to the competitor and must prove my abilities with a test dog. I can not ask a customer from my current employer to allow me to use their dog for a competitor as this is not allowed. So I am looking for a long haired dog (mixed is great but he/she must have long hair like a shih-tzu, schnauzer, or spaniel, or poodle). This dog must be well mannered for the grooming process. He/She can not matted and must be tangle free. For the test the hair cut must be a lamb cut or have skirt. I can adjust the haircut after the test.

I have actually already groomed a co-worker/friend's dog for them but the hair was too short to do anything like a skirt or lamb cut with so they need me to come back with a dog with more hair. All my other neighbors/co-workers have short haired dogs. My dogs are also short haired lab/lab mixes.

I am posting here because I know a lot of you are in Florida and I would prefer to do a free groom for someone I have connections to rather than someone off Craigslist.

Thank you!

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4502 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  10:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even if I were in Florida, I'm afraid my whippet wouldn't help any. Good luck on landing the new job. Hope it's much better than the last.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6428 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  12:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm, we are a bit of a ways away -- 40 miles north of Orlando (in Leesburg, up highway 27). I know a LOT of folks in my community have dogs, and I even know the main dogsitter (we use her for our cats) so I suspect I could get word out, but I'm not so sure any of these folks would be willing to drive that far for a free cut (maybe -- as someone who's never had even a cat groomed I have pretty well no understanding. Oh, I think my wife took the Persian stray we had in for grooming when we first got her, but that was so many decades ago I don't remember).

If you'd like I can contact the gal and see what she might know, but I'm thinking the entire process will take at least a few days (a day or two to get the word out, and then another day or two to make arrangements). What's your time schedule?

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1294 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  05:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even if I had a dog (closest we usually get to a dog is the one that rounds up the sheep in the field beside our house) the 4000 miles between us and you makes the 40 miles from Leesburg a better bet!
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

180 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  07:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I thought I would throw it out there.
Hi Mike, I think 40 miles north of Orlando would probably be to far for the worth of a haircut, they would probably spend more in gas. Dog haircuts usually cost $40-$50 at petco/petsmart, but if you go to independent you can find it as low a $25. Even as a groomer I am shocked that people would pay the higher price.
I will reach out to some rescue groups and maybe a few retirement homes.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 01/10/2018 07:51:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6428 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  09:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There should be a lot of "active adult communities" (the preferred term -- retirement homes, although accurate, denotes a negative image that most folks don't want. Doesn't bother me, but whatever). I know there are a lot in Orlando, and the good news is that all of them have a very active community, where you can post a message on their forum bulletin boards, or their "real" ones. They should have web sites so if you do a simple search you can find them and even find who to contact there with your info.

My experience is that small dogs are owned by about 50% of the folks living there -- and there should be some long-haired ones you can work on, if a small dog will work for you (large dogs aren't easy for seniors to own for a lot of reasons, not the least is yard space).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

180 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  11:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have one lined up. It took a while. At first it was a labradoodle, but they couldn't find her rabies papers. And now it is 2 cockerspaniels who hopefully come through and are not matted. I will groom one at Petsmart for the test and the other at my home or their home just so both of their dogs get haircuts.

I hope things will work out at Petsmart for me. I am a slower groomer and 5 dogs is usually my max. Petsmart is different from Petco in that they want you to do 5 grooms(haircut dogs with baths) only, while Petco doesn't care if you 5 grooms or 5 bath only dogs so I have been doing a mix of 4 to 6 dogs a day depending if I had more baths or grooms. Petco requires you stop for phone calls, nail trims (a walk in service), fill out take out cards, check in your own dogs even if the show up before your shift. At Petsmart the salon manager is according to 3 other sources suppose to take care of walk ins and most phone calls. However at the store that I am applying for I know this is not the case. I am not sure if I am making the right choice as I am not sure if I can finish 5 grooms in a day with possible constant interruptions, but things got even worse at my work place so I must leave.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6428 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  07:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully it will work out for you -- sometimes "the devil you know versus the devil you don't" is the best choice, but on the other hand I know well the feeling of needing a change. I worked for the same agency for over 20 years and had to leave just five years before retirement because they were making my life holy hell. As a result the last five years of my career were relatively calm and nice, and I never regretted leaving.

And you're young -- life will take you in directions you may never have possibly anticipated. Enjoy (and let's hope it warms up again -- I'm playing outdoors this week and this old body ain't liking the cold :>).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

180 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  11:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cockerspaniels were good. I am a slower groomer though so I don't know if I will work out at Petsmart. It depends on if I am the only one available or if there are others like a possible store to salon transfer.

Unfortunately for me, a coworker who works out in the store not the salon directly confronted the store manager about forcing the salon to work off the clock. The coworker had been working off the clock too because he had encouraged her to do so and thought store manager would be nice and address concerns. Instead he is just blaming the salon and our manager for something that is his doing. He is pretending to be concern about us and that he would never want us to work off the clock which is complete bull. He has known we were working off the clock. I even wrote it in my promoter survey which is a review of him and his representation back before November. I know she was only trying to help and it would have been good if it had been reported to HR so they could investigate, it was bad that she went to Robert instead giving the bad guy a heads up that we were aware of our rights.

Now my salon manager is wanting me to call district after she told me she didn't want me too. I would have happily done it sooner if it had been a group effort but the group stupidly decided they did not want to report it. So I decided to leave instead and maybe join a Petco lawsuit later since I am sure they are going have one. But now is bad timing as I put on my application that they could call my manager and salon manager current job. While things suck I felt the store manager would have to say I was decent employee because I haven't had any epns and I knew my salon manager would have to give me a decent review. Also right now Robert going to giving out epns like crazy. I was trying to just get out.
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

180 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  10:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so happy, Petsmart is hiring me. I am just waiting for the background check and drug test to come back clean then I sign to accept the job and start 2/1/2018.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4502 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  10:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Olivia! Hope you like your new job.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1294 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  04:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1.. best wishes for your new job!
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  05:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belated new year greetings -- good luck in your new job
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6428 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  06:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, another congrats. Always a nice thing to start the new year with a new beginning.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

180 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  8:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I am so excited. I don't expect perfection, but I am glad to be getting a new start. : )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page