Hand & Fingers Animation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  11:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using AS Pro 11, I an having a problem with fingers. The hand is a four finger configuration, each finger has three joints except the thumb. The entire hand moves ok at the arm bone, the fingers all move ok at the palm finger point, moving a finger at it's end will cause the entire finger to rotate away from the palm. I have tried different binding methods without luck. I'm lost, can anyone give ma an idea where I screwed up ?

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  11:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is everything at the same z-depth?

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  12:23:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  1:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have the fingers bound to the tip bones. It just seems to work okay from the base of the finger because you're not moving any of the other finger bones.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  4:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know about the "X", "y", "Z" axis, I'm a retired mechanical engineer. But I cannot understand your comment about being on the same "Z" axis. I also tried using the hand in a group layer & a lower are layer, all put into a bone layer. The arm layer is on top of the hand group layer. All the bones are arranged to go from arm to palm then all the finger layers are started from the palm and down each finger layers. This response let the hand move ok, each finger responded ok, only the finger tips responded like i mentioned. I didn't try the intermediate finger layers. I going to try this now after I post this.
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  4:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, all the finger bones (except the one's next to the palm) rotate the fingers away from the palm.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  12:14:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same z-depth. You can verify it easy in orbit view.

Again, sounds like you have the fingers layer bound to the tip bones. You probably need to flexi-bind them, or adjust the bone strength, or something.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the thing worked out now ! Give you an idea of this problem: I am creating a "Skeleton" cartoon character. A skeleton has many, many curves and switchbacks makes it difficult to use the "Draw Shape" tool. So I used the "Freehand" tool. Pro 11 has improved this tool. So, "Binding" was my problem, Most of the time I use the "Bind Points" tool. with the layers of parts from the free hand tool the bind points tool was ineffective. Therefore the problem. After highlighting the bone, I held down "G" & worked around the finger section until it highlighted then "Bind Points.
Now with sufficient power levels at each finger the hand & all finger sections flex.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page