Work In Progress
 Head Turn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

160 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  02:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going try to keep all my questions under one thread since I am working on the same Owen Grady file. I get a few steps forward on it and then slide a few steps back. :/

Anyway my mom is helping my adjust some parts of the rig like the eyes, nose, etc. She doesn't know the program, I just have gotten a little stuck on the visuals and she is better with face proportions.

As I move the eye to profile view I need to basically half the shape of the eye to make it look more realistic. However when I change the location of the points it ruins the way my smart bones work in the profile view. So I would prefer to add an additional mask to the eye and half the eye this way. That will allow the smart bones to still function even the the profile view. But when I try my mask isn't working. I have tried moving my original eye to a new folder and adding an additional mask but that isn't working. I have also tried adding a subtracting mask, but that also has no effect. I am not sure how I should reorder the folder nesting to accomplish this.

The other problem is I can't seem to rig my pupils to individual bones that still move with the head. I am trying to rig the left pupil to a bone, right pupil to a bone, then rig the left and right pupil bones to one bone, and then rig the bone so it moves with the head. I am uncertain to way this isn't working as the parenting seems correct.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jhc0y1csywnv5xa/Owen_Grady_1029.zip

Anyway I will keep all additional questions on this rig under this thread.

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  06:10:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as a general rule, I always try to avoid having more than one smartbone acting on the same points because that can easily cause conflicts. There's a discussion of the problem and a (partial) solution involving a third "correction" action here: http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31183&p=177308

BUT I'll go back to my bleat about the effort and energy expended, and often wasted, on making the generalised / universal rig when the actual animation you want to create will work very well with variant rigs.

I'll take a dive into your ...1029 file to try to answer your specific questions over the next day or two (day job time pressures!) unless someone else gets there first!
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

506 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  1:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayasidist
BUT I'll go back to my bleat about the effort and energy expended, and often wasted, on making the generalised / universal rig when the actual animation you want to create will work very well with variant rigs.

This rig is based on Strider's M1 rigs. Because these can be hard to customize due to the number of smart bones, it's a real benefit to buy them premade if you can find right character.

Sometimes it's easier to start from scratch.

I always approach a rig by first making an elementary rig using only bones, vectors, and switches. Also, I keep nesting to minimum, just one ideally. This is typically a version 8 rig.

Once I have basic rig, I can animate that OR augment it further with smart bones, target bones, nested bones, and so one (version 9.5 or later).

In keeping with the spirit of hayasidist's point, I work way so I don't spend time adding a feature I'll never use.

Anyway, your rig looks good so far.

----
http://neetersguy.tumblr.com/
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page