Velociraptor Head Turn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  10:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am making my first head turn in AS11.

I started with the side to top view of the head. I also plan to do side to bottom, and side to front.

It was going pretty good at first. I was just roughing it out I haven't fine tuned anything. However I got really confused when I started on the mouth. How can I animate a layer's folder location so It moves when I need it to when I am using a smart bone.

Any ideas? I know I could maybe do a lot of masking and duplicating but that seems like it would be the overly complex route. I also rather not have to manually do it each time I rotate the head.

Thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1uucdlmleat8mul/Blue_the_1st_Velociraptor_reload_9.zip

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2017 :  11:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about like putting the the lower head parts below the neck? If so, it may be easier with your setup to just move the points to hide them under the upper head. Personally, I use group layers very sparingly. I only make one when absolutely necessary. That way I have more freedom to animate layer order, which can only occur within a group, so the more layers in one group, the options I have.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  12:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The head is made up of 4 different groups: Upper Head, Lower Head, Mouth, and than the Stripe (which doesn't really matter in this scenario). The Mouth Group has the upper teeth layer, lower teeth layer, tongue layer, etc. I guess I need to change this arrangement a little to animate the layer order if I can't animate group order.
My organizing skills for the program are not the best so far. I like Masking and Groups (Folders).

I guess I will start by moving the upper teeth into the Upper Head group and the lower teeth and tongue into the Lower Head group.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Hmmm that actually didn't work. It lead to the teeth poking out. I would like to have smooth head movements in which the jaw can open and close at any angle but I may have to build different heads or use a lot of masking/duplicates.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 10/06/2017 12:55:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  12:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can animate group order, but again, only within one higher group. You can't animate moving any layer (group or not) into or out of its frame zero group.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2017 :  8:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks that is helping. : ) It is getting better. I will update my file a little later.
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  01:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am finally made some progress with the head turn. It isn't perfect by any means but it is improving slowly. I going to turn it a few different directions and then fine tune it.

I do have a few questions. How can you turn back on your drawing tools when you are working on a smart bone's actions? Also when you rotate a bone in the rig the whole layer rotates with it. I would love to rotate the bones over the tongue so they are still in the center of the tongue instead of going the complete wrong direction but when I try it moves the neck too. Is there a way to temporarily turn off bone strength in a smart bone action.

Also a slightly annoying problem I am having is that everytime I save it as a different copy the layers attached to certain bones change which bones they are attached to. It is easy to fix but it is pretty irritating.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vddtf2a0anc7m75/Blue_the_1st_Velociraptor_reload_18.zip

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 10/11/2017 01:13:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can't create new assets in an action, and you can't disable bone strength temporarily.

The only way to keep the bones aligned in a turn is to animate the bones first in the smart action and then the layers/points/etc..

To keep the tongue bone from effecting the neck, you either need to adjust bone strength (maybe adding some bones just to add more strength/stability) or bind some points to bones.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  9:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I will try adjusting some of the ways I am creating the raptor head turn. I am getting there. : )
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  9:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good so far.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got a rough draft on some of the head movements. It is pretty rough but its slowly getting somewhere. I keep having to add more points for the smart bones. I haven't moved my striping and patterns. And I color coded the teeth temporarily.

So the parts work roughly together, but I am not sure if there are some tricks to creating better movement for the head. Sometimes the way the the head is positioned on the neck doesn't look right along with other a few things. I also had to try to enlarge the head as it turn to the front.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 10/24/2017 01:07:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  09:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by werew0lfgirl_99

I keep having to add more points for the smart bones. ... but I am not sure if there are some tricks to creating better movement for the head.
coming along! You ask about "tricks" ... this is what I have been saying about "design for animation" rather than just "painting a great picture". If you know you want a head turn then IMO the "trick" is to "unwrap" the surfaces from the outset. Take a trivial example of a cube viewed face on. 4 points. Voila! Now you need a "3/4" pose. You need to add 2 points to make 2 rectangles - stretch the edges and pull the middle two "down". Now you realise you need to do a turn to back view... or top view -- so you can add points and shapes and you will eventually get there. But IMO it's much quicker and less stressful if you have planned your shots to know what you need that cube to do and you design the rig to support those actions. And, again IMO, if you don't need to show all the transitions then separate rigs for separate shots (based on relevant shared elements) is the way to go - again a trivial example - why have a whole back view body rig with a fully articulated arm and hand to be used in an over the shoulder close up shot of a person's fingers on a keyboard???
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  1:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is IMO?
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMO (in my opinion)

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  7:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep chipping away at this project. After I finish making Owen and the raptors, I plan on breaking down the rest of the scenes and only doing things as needed like hayasidist keeps telling me to do. lol. So all my other characters will be on a scene needed basis.

Anyway here is my progress on my little velociraptors. Someone else will probably be helping me with more angled artwork on them but I am just tweaking the side views for now. I love the paint brushes in adobe.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 11/11/2017 11:46:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page