New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  9:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike are you heading north? I lost my roof(shingles)and a Bradford pear tree from Harvey.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  10:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you located?

Here in central Florida we seldom have any issues with hurricanes (which is why Walt built DisneyWorld here). WDW has been closed only five days total in the 45 years of operation (it will be closed Sunday and Monday, making a total of seven days, but I doubt whether it really needs to be closed Monday). The biggest issue we have is with folks who are scared to death by the mainstream media, and so they buy up all the gas and canned goods and clog the roads. We'll just sit tight and by Monday I'll be out playing tennis again.

I'm not saying nothing can ever happen, but the worst storm I ever experienced was in northern Nevada, in Carson City. Three homes on our block lost their entire roof (not just shingles, but the whole roof) and trees were down everywhere. I would be amazed if we have that much damage from this one.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  09:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, having lived in Florida once, including some time in Orlando, I wouldn't worry much about the Orlando area either. Some wind damage is the most I'd expect.

The Keys may be another thing altogether.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  10:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You were here, Wes? Too bad we didn't know each other then.

I think we'll live and, as you say, we might get wind damage but that can happen almost anywhere in the country. Should be interesting, though (the old Chinese Curse - "May you live in interesting times").

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  11:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I was in Orlando in about '98...about ten years before we knew either other.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  12:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any damage Mike?

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  1:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No damage to speak of but no power here on my cell which i hate typing on and dont care about typos we should have power back in two or three more days

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1249 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  09:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Mike - are you back on the grid yet?
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  4:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We got power late Saturday afternoon. Most of yesterday was getting back to normal (we had already completely cleaned out the refrigerator so we just needed to go shopping and restock, do the clothes washing, do the dishes, clean house). The only "damage" we had was a couple of our screened in lanai panels tore off (no real surprise, as the whole screen is overdue for replacing -- we'll wait a few months until the folks that do this kind of work really want some, as right now they aren't desperate enough to deal). No tree damage or anything else, but that didn't surprise me (Irma was only a Cat 1 as it moved through, as I had predicted all along).

Central Florida really is *quite* safe, and Leesburg is rated the number one safest city in all of Florida for a good reason. But the power situation -- that was unexpected and really sucked (particularly annoying since the other half of my development is on a different power company and never lost power. We were lucky enough to have Duke Energy, which is a sucky company).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  5:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you're back in business. Aside from the power outage, it sounds about as I expected too. I got luck here in OK, for our last big snow storm. I think I was on the same grid as the airport, but my mom went several weeks without power (except in the winter here the garage works as a fridge).

Screening really isn't hard. You might look up a video on it...unless it's too high for comfort.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  7:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm going to do the "downstairs" screening, but the two panels that tore off are on top and at my age I don't do climbing <g>. I'll pay to have the top completely replaced, and then do the sides myself.

Cold *might* have been easier -- obviously you need some heating process to avoid freezing, but a kerosene or propane unit might work (I know CO2 concerns are a problem). There's no real way to do a portable air conditioning without power, although we now have some battery fans that will help if there IS a next time (we lived here almost 15 years without losing power for more than 20 minutes, so this really WAS unusual).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  7:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, not really a safe way to have heat, aside from a fireplace (which my mom had, and spent periods in her running car to charge devices and warm up better). I heard a story that some in Florida died from running generators in the house. I don't imagine they have much experience with generators in Florida.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1249 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  06:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad to hear all is fundamentally ok.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  07:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes,

A lot of folks do have generators, and whole house ones at that. In our block alone I'd estimate about 1 in 4 had them (we could hear the noise all night long with the windows open). Those are professionally installed and work fine, but the expense to me isn't worth it (we've lived here nearly 15 years and not been without power more than an hour previously). This was a very unusual event and I do believe that most of the damage was caused by trees that needed trimming/downing after more than a decade without such winds. That's my story and I'm sticking to it <g>.

For now we have taken *reasonable* precautions -- I ordered another battery that charges up our phones two or three times, so with the two of them I ought to be good for at least four or five days. We have batteries for our fan (which actually worked really well) and I'll probably buy one more of those to help sleep at night. And if we get the kind of warning we did this time around I'll even do the ice blocks in fridge thing (we didn't have much food that we lost but having a colder fridge would have been nice for at least a few more days -- although I also found ice in the ice maker in the community across from us that I play tennis in twice a week, so now we have a source of ice should things go south again).

I'm not worried.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  10:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprise to see a conversation about Irma. I have been dealing with that and the some other things. We did loose electricity for about a week, but we lost water too because we have well water. It was tiresome. I wish I could say it just did a little property damage, but I lost my 2 pet goldfish (Molten Core and StarBlaze) during it and it was heartbreaking. Our dogs and cats were all brought inside for the storm but I left the goldfish in there pond. It is a large pond that is 4' deep on one side. The pond is so deep I went swimming in it a few times after setting a new liner. I never thought the fish were in any danger other than if a twister hit or if flooding happened in which we were all in danger. While prepping for the hurricane started I had briefly thought of catching the fish and bringing them in with a bubbler but I thought that would be more dangerous because they may not get enough oxygen, could try to jump out, or could be spilled over if our house was destroyed. I had watched the pond from the window most of the day the top was windy but I didn't see any stressed out fish. After the hurricane passed, I went to make sure they were both still safe in the pond because it had rained alot and I needed to check and make sure they hadn't swam into a puddle somehow that I hadn't noticed. I saw check a saw they were both dead floating in the pond. I am so shock by this while there was a little property damage, there were still flowers on our plants and all the poultry in the area made it through along with our neighbors livestock and the feral cats also did okay . I really miss seeing my goldfish when I do my yard work. I had them for over 5 years. Lossing them has been the hardest part of Irma for me.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 09/22/2017 11:01:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  10:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about your loss, WWG.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page