Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  11:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a complete character, bones & all, how can I make a "Head Turn" ? I tried to place a "Smart Bones" next to the characters, name > Action > New > name. rotated the bone to the left. When moving the curser on the timeline the smart bone did not move. Somewhere I,m off track !

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  12:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you need to do four things to make a smartbone work

1: define the action (which you've done)
2: in the action at frame zero, key the bone starting position and at (say) frame 90 rotate the bone through (say) 90 degrees
3: in the action animate the points / bones / layers / whatever over the same time period -- so, e.g., for a simple head turn slide the facial features across the head shape
4: in mainline key the smartbone where you want the turn to start and then move to where you want the turn to end and rotate the smart bone as far as you want (e.g. 45 degrees for a "half" turn)

But before all of that you MUST have designed your character with a head turn in mind. In this simple example https://youtu.be/k8Chq4yDnr4 the "bishop" and "rook" characters have headgear that needs to adapt to rotations so these have "extra" control points and surfaces to make the head turns work.
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  2:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After creating the "Smart Bone" & Naming it "HeadTurn" then trying to rotate it, The tutorial I watched stated: "rotate Bone Tool", al I have is "Transform Bone Tool" Is this the same ?
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  5:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question, when I make the "Smart Bone" is it necessary to reference the 'Head Bone" ?
Being this is where the movements will be made !
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
246 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  04:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These might help: https://www.animestudiotutor.com/search?q=head+turn
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  06:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by toshiyori

After creating the "Smart Bone" & Naming it "HeadTurn" then trying to rotate it, The tutorial I watched stated: "rotate Bone Tool", al I have is "Transform Bone Tool" Is this the same ?

a long long time ago there were separate tools for bone rotate, scale and translate. these were merged into one "transform bone". So to answer your question - yes.

The tutorial you're using may have some valuable guidance, but it won't be using up-to-date techniques -- you may find there are new and easier ways of doing things in Moho that weren't there in the days of separate bone tools!

quote:

Another question, when I make the "Smart Bone" is it necessary to reference the 'Head Bone" ?
Being this is where the movements will be made !

No! It would be quite unusual for the head bone to be involved in a head turn! Imagine a finger puppet ... you can make it look around (e.g. rotate your wrist) and you can tilt it (e.g. by bending your finger). The Head Turn Smartbone controls rotation; the skeleton head bone controls tilt.

Do have a look at the tutorials that John has suggested - and also do a search in this forum for "head turn". I'll say it again: you MUST design your character to support head turns - include points and surfaces that you'll need for the turns.
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  11:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advice. One thing that surprises me is: none of the "Draw Tools" are present when I have the "head Turn Target Bone" highlighted. I can move all the face features to the left selecting each and "M" moving them. Although, being able to move the head turn target bone when I was to on the "TimeLine" has got me stumped ! i.e., turning the head in the animation at a specific time !
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  2:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the tools for shifting layers around (e.g. "M" - transform layer) are "always" there; the tools for moving points around are only active if you have an active vector layer (i.e. won't be active with a bone layer selected); the tools for moving bones around are only there when you have a bone layer (or, pedantically, a layer such as a switch that has bones in it) active.

so my guess is that you have a head vector / group active when you want to rotate the "head turn smart bone" and not the bone layer with the smart bone in it.
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  08:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you state" "Head Vector", no I don't have that. So, I'm to move the head vectors to a "Group" vector calling it "Head". This Group Vector is also to be part of the main Bone Layer ?
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  10:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes. things to be influenced by bones need to be in the same group as the bones.

so, e.g., you can do:

Bone Group
>head group
>arm L group
>...etc
> torso

or something like

Bone Group
> head switch
>> head opt 1
>> head opt 2
>> ...
> arm L group
> ... etc

or

Main Skeleton
> Body Bone Group
>> arm L
>> torso
>Head Bone Group
>>Head
...etc

But you can't do

Bone Group
> arm L
> torso
Head
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  11:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of a "Head Switch Layer" I'm going to give it a try.
Thanks Much !
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  1:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun!

depends on how you want to play that, but: things to remember -- you can put bones in switch layers; you can put bone groups in a switch; you can bind the switch layer to a main skeleton bone; you have the option of turning off "nested control" (so, e.g. main skeleton will only influence its direct child layers (and not grandchild etc layers) ...
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  10:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I created a "Head Group Layer" put all the head layers in it then tried it put it in the main character "Bone Layer" it would not go !
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  3:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I created a "Head Group Layer" put all the head layers in it then tried it put it in the main character "Bone Layer" it would not go !

Creating a group layer and adding it to a bone layer is one of the most basic operations in moho. It works.

So if you're having problems as you describe, it would helpful if you uploaded the file(s) so we can see exactly what the problem is -- from what you've said, there's not enough info there to offer a good solution.
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  5:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to se how to upload the file, then how to send it 1
Go to Top of Page

toshiyori

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  5:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the "Head Group" is in the Bone Layer !
I used Command "B" to export file, when I tried to drag the file to the drop down the drop down vanished !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page