Work In Progress
 My New Little Project
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  6:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a first look at my raptor for my little Jurassic World fan animation. The proportions need some work. I am also not sure how many joints raptors have in their fingers. I know they have 3 but I am not sure if the 3rd is hidden. Anyway I love the drawing tools in anime studio, I like them better than adobe illustrator.

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  6:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. I love the color scheme.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  8:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! It took me awhile to get the colors working. I had a lot of problems with my early concept art because I needed the stripe to be obvious but still look like it belonged.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  8:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The stripe may be a little jarring once you look at it for a while, but the initial impression is great, and no doubt it will look even better animated.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  09:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stripe does look a little 'tacked on'. You could try putting it on a separate layer, and then playing around with transparency and/or blending options.
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  05:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with the comments re the stripe -- it doesn't give the feel of following the body contours especially around the limbs. Whilst I accept that this is a fantasy creation you might like to take a look at dinosaur stripes for inspiration e.g. http://bfy.tw/Clow

and this might help with your question about finger joints: http://bfy.tw/ClpF
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try blending it a little. When I first started it looked really bad because I had her stripe at 0000ff

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 07/12/2017 10:00:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  10:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think raptors have 3 movable parts in each finger. Then they have 3 movable parts in their toes, on the 2 toes on the ground the last movable part is part is partway webbed, and on the main claw there is no webbing?

http://lost-shadow-creature.deviantart.com/art/Silly-Blue-692268317

Starts at about at frame 0:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBZsr3NqGIg

This is my work file. It is a mess not even fully rigged. I like the stretchy effect the bone strength gives but it kind of overpowers everything. Maybe there is a better way to do it? Anyway I just included the file in case anyone wants to view it. I will try to finish it soon. http://www.mediafire.com/file/38h3sugbib2k2wg/BLUE_14.anime

Here is a pic of the concept art of my raptors. The rest of the raptors have more natural looking stripes.

They are base on the baby raptor clay models I made for my co-workers for Jurassic Park Day! I gave them to them before Jurassic World came out and gave the other store workers dinosaur eggs with plastic toys inside. We had dinosaur toys in managers office and break room for about a year lol. You have to love fake holidays.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 07/13/2017 11:08:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  11:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not much of an update.

I finally finish creating a base rig. I have learn that Jurassic Park raptor feet joints are very confusing even using picture and toy references. Maybe I just kind of sucked at it. lol

This is my better file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yrtse3gjctc2jo4/BLUE_15.anime

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 07/13/2017 11:22:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2017 :  05:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
an opinion on the legs. the upper parts need a slightly different rig. the skin (especially the body pattern) at the top of the leg shouldn't rotate counter to the lower part when the limb moves -- it will "stretch" as the limb moves, as will the stripe. The bone pivot position is probably ok, but rotating the bone shouldn't cause the top of the limb to spin "the wrong way".

About that Jurassic YT clip you posted -- The best way to explain this is: put your finger tips on a horizontal flat surface and raise your forearm to the vertical: the raptor, in effect, moves on its fingers, not its palm. So there are also bones from each "toe" that stretch up to the ankle / wrist joints (as in the palm of your hand) and these "palm" bones form a relatively slim link to the ankle. Also, in that video, the talon is separately articulated not fixed to the end "toe" bone (i.e. a total of 5 bones per walking "toe").

I *think* the "thumb-like" toe has only 4 bones similar to our own thumbs.

take a look at a human hand skeleton -- fingers have 4 bones: 3 for the wiggly bit and one in the palm; the thumbs only have 2 wiggly bits. For the raptor - add one for the separately articulated claw.
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  8:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am still a little uncertain with the feet but I am slowly getting it. That is a good suggestion for dark back color and stripe to stretch with the arm instead of spinning. Right know I am reworking my file a little bit and I will try to get that and other things working better before I add smart bones. I am trying to make sure all the layers and line widths are the same since I didn't pay attention to that in my first rig.

I am also trying to figure out why my animations look a little fuzzy when I animate and render/export out. At first I thought it was because I had resized the layers but that doesn’t seem to be it since in my new rig I am fixing that and it is still fuzzy.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n4gb0htbbupet88/BLUE_19.anime (old link)

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 07/21/2017 01:40:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  01:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:
I finally created a better and more organized rig. All the layers match are now unmodified in size/origin point. The lines are now more uniformed in size and mirror because I want to add some smart bones with rotation.

The skin pattern on the back still does not stretch with the upper limb correctly. I have tried a few different things. When I Bind Points it bunches weird and when I use Bone Strength the whole Neck/Chest/Waist/Butt squashes and warps. I know I could use smart bones, but I would prefer another method. That is other than binding all the points to different bones (that would also be too tedious for bone rotation and I definitely pick smart bones over that).

I am also working on shading.

https://youtu.be/6WwqrXL5Q7s
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fb755w6kp1wprr1/Blue_the_Velociraptor_2.zip

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 07/21/2017 01:54:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  06:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coming along nicely! To get some "swing" in the tail, you might like to have a look at "Bone Dynamics". About the hip / shoulder joints -- personally I'd rework the limbs and joints -- IMO there are too many "duplicated" items - outlines / fills - to make it simple to animate. e.g. have the hip as part of the torso and hang the lower half of the upper leg off that and rig accordingly. I know I bleat on and on about this -- but IMO a core skill is not just being able to draw, but being able to design for animation.
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  06:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My raptor is coming along slowly but it is still coming. She is almost ready for a walk cycle, and then I'll try to learn bone dynamics. I just have to finish the shading first. What is the best way to make her right arm and leg a little darker than the left ones? I know its got something to do with shadows in layer settings, but I don't understand the different options or offset and angle settings.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/hcv0b1s5vu73bfo/Blue_the_1st_Velociraptor_1.zip

Also I would love to sell a version of this rig on content paradise. I won't be selling the same raptor, I will sell one without the full bodystripe that cause so many of my layers to be doubled. Anyway any information on selling something like this.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 10/02/2017 06:42:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  11:36:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For the upstage limbs, you could do a layer shading, offset 1, blur 0, inverted.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  8:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SynthSin75

For the upstage limbs, you could do a layer shading, offset 1, blur 0, inverted.

-Wes

Thank you. : )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page