Showcase
 Pirate with Rum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  8:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Short very basic animation worked only two days on it. I decide to go ahead and enter the next competition on www.animestudiotutor.com for fun. I don't plan on winning with it because it is basically just moving images. Just was inspired by watching the original Pirates of the Caribbean. The first movie was great! The rest of the movies are just sunken ships.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 06/11/2017 8:43:51 PM

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  8:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAIsGDTEKvg
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  07:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The imagery is a lot of fun. Only a small critique -- when the pirate moves his arms it is pretty mechanical. It's a very common mistake, no need to feel bad about it, but it is something in your animation education you need to master.

Limbs move in stages -- no one moves their entire arm or leg in a piece (well, except for a robot). So the wrist bends first, then the elbow and finally the upper arm. Even if one is *trying* to move it together it always works that way. To master this, you first slightly angle the wrist, then move some frames and angle the elbow, then move and angle the upper arm. To get the advanced degree, you do the same in reverse as the arm slows to a stop.

Play around with it and you'll see how much more natural it looks with very little effort.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  9:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I am glad you told me. I never realized that about arms and legs! I am about to animate another short with humans and raptors but have been a little confused on how to make the movements look realistic. Human face expressions are another bump for me.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll get there -- the good news is that we ALL have made those mistakes. I cringe when I look back at my early animations.

One of the biggest mistakes beginners make is animating everything at the same time. We know what we want -- we want the final position to be THERE. So we forget that to get there there are a lot of little movements that make it seem so much more natural. Just moving ahead one or two frames for each rotation you do will make it look a lot better (as well as not animating each character all on the same frame). It will come.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page