Problems, Solutions, and General Discussion
 Best places to purchase characters?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  12:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the best places to purchase characters for Anime Studio or to get things like mouth movements, hand movements or custom characters. I see a lot of characters on content paradise but not all the angles are included seems like you should have a front, 3/4, side, back, top, bottom and all the inbetweens.

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  08:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not exactly going to answer your question but instead comment on this. I have ZERO drawing skills (really) and initially using Moho I thought of buying some characters (which I did). Some of them were fairly nice, but ultimately not only did I not use them, but I now would not advise ANYONE using Moho to do so.

Here's the problems: first of all, they aren't your characters. Do you want to tell stories that others can see? Then you really can't, unless these are strictly stories "just for fun" or for a hobby. What do you do if your talents and ambitions lie elsewhere? You will need to replace them all, then (and this is a LOT harder than it might seem). Worse, unless you find characters that fit your art style EXACTLY they will look out of place in anything you do.

Okay, let's suppose you are not any kind of an artist and not only intend to buy your characters but all your backgrounds and just construct your stories just for you and for fun. Even in THOSE cases you will find difficulties -- the characters may not be rigged the way you like (and it's almost impossible to re-rig a character since the design plays a large role in how you do it) or, as you've seen, not contain a view you need. Or you discover telling your story you need one certain character but can't find them ANYWHERE.

I really and truly think the best way is to create your own. It will be hard, at times frustrating, but in the end it has SO many payoffs because even the process of doing so (and rigging them) will teach you a lot about Moho. You can also use a LOT of artwork on the web for inspiration or, if you are as untalented as myself, even to copy (by "copy" I mean drawing in that style. I spent a year studying "American Dad" to make my artwork in that style. Problem was I did it TOO good, and now I'm getting away from that, but it was a good learning process).

The one and only time I'd ever recommend anyone buying a character is if they are going to take it apart to see how it works. In that case it really doesn't matter much what it looks like, but how it's rigged (although the examples provided with Moho are pretty good in this regard). But even that isn't good because you WILL develop your own rigging style (I know, it doesn't seem so now, but you will).

As for specifics -- if you want to create mouths, look for some artwork on the web that has a mouth you like. Then examine the examples provided with Moho to see how to construct the ones needed. It really isn't rocket science, and if *I* can do it, anyone can (because, ya know, no talent). I did find a good site that had some hands I was able to copy but ultimately I found I never used all the hands I thought I needed. The same could very well be true for you and all your views -- you can work exclusively in 3/4 (as I do) or you can do with a 3/4 and perhaps a back view, but sometimes having a ton of views just presents you with choices that complicate the process. Until you have it down, don't waste your time worrying about what you MIGHT need until you actually do need it.

Just my two dollars.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
246 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  11:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used http://www.oddjobjack.com/freejack.php characters in many animations, and I can draw pretty well! (Just lazy, I guess...) All the hand, eye and mouth movements you can handle, and free to use for non-commercial projects. However, I do agree with what Mike says -- in the end, it's probably good to evolve your own style.
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  3:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Mike here. I storyboard my stuff over and over again trying each time to take out views that just make things harder for me ... IOW if (e.g.) a 3/4 will do I'll dump the full face view - plus I have made a lot of use of limited head / body turns to reduce the number of views needed (e.g. turn from "7/8" left to "7/8" right -- i.e. full face plus or minus "halfway" to 3/4 view) .. and I only rig for what needs to be animated... IOW if I don't need a walk I don't bother with bones in the lower body; if I have a character seated and then standing - if I don't **need** to show them getting up I have a cut-away during which I switch between the 2 rigs - one seated and one standing; ... etc etc etc.. It's "design for animation" and then only design and rig for the animation you need and I **never** start out planning for a utility lying down/sitting/standing/running/jumping 360 body/head turn rig because most times a few separate (simpler to rig) views will do. (Quite different, I think, in 3d modelling!)

Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  10:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the time I was starting with AS11 I didn't realize how much I would prefer my own rigs but now I do. The only useful rigs I ended up purchasing were some human character rigs from someone who I watched tutorials on prior to even purchasing AS11 and I am having to modify those a lot for my purposes.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons

I'm not exactly going to answer your question but instead comment on this. I have ZERO drawing skills (really) and initially using Moho I thought of buying some characters (which I did). Some of them were fairly nice, but ultimately not only did I not use them, but I now would not advise ANYONE using Moho to do so.

Here's the problems: first of all, they aren't your characters. Do you want to tell stories that others can see? Then you really can't, unless these are strictly stories "just for fun" or for a hobby. What do you do if your talents and ambitions lie elsewhere? You will need to replace them all, then (and this is a LOT harder than it might seem). Worse, unless you find characters that fit your art style EXACTLY they will look out of place in anything you do.

Okay, let's suppose you are not any kind of an artist and not only intend to buy your characters but all your backgrounds and just construct your stories just for you and for fun. Even in THOSE cases you will find difficulties -- the characters may not be rigged the way you like (and it's almost impossible to re-rig a character since the design plays a large role in how you do it) or, as you've seen, not contain a view you need. Or you discover telling your story you need one certain character but can't find them ANYWHERE.

I really and truly think the best way is to create your own. It will be hard, at times frustrating, but in the end it has SO many payoffs because even the process of doing so (and rigging them) will teach you a lot about Moho. You can also use a LOT of artwork on the web for inspiration or, if you are as untalented as myself, even to copy (by "copy" I mean drawing in that style. I spent a year studying "American Dad" to make my artwork in that style. Problem was I did it TOO good, and now I'm getting away from that, but it was a good learning process).

The one and only time I'd ever recommend anyone buying a character is if they are going to take it apart to see how it works. In that case it really doesn't matter much what it looks like, but how it's rigged (although the examples provided with Moho are pretty good in this regard). But even that isn't good because you WILL develop your own rigging style (I know, it doesn't seem so now, but you will).

As for specifics -- if you want to create mouths, look for some artwork on the web that has a mouth you like. Then examine the examples provided with Moho to see how to construct the ones needed. It really isn't rocket science, and if *I* can do it, anyone can (because, ya know, no talent). I did find a good site that had some hands I was able to copy but ultimately I found I never used all the hands I thought I needed. The same could very well be true for you and all your views -- you can work exclusively in 3/4 (as I do) or you can do with a 3/4 and perhaps a back view, but sometimes having a ton of views just presents you with choices that complicate the process. Until you have it down, don't waste your time worrying about what you MIGHT need until you actually do need it.

Just my two dollars.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 10/04/2017 11:28:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  11:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're not likely to find any character that can do it all...and if you did, it would probably be prohibitively expensive. Googling "hand poses" and "mouth poses" will get you a ton of good references that you can trace in Moho. And "character turnaround", "character views", etc. will get you plenty of angle references.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page