Other Software
 Lip Synching on Anime Studio vs Crazy Talk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  12:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if any of you had opinions on lip synching in Anime Studio vs Crazy Talk Animator. When I started my little project I had planned to do most of my dragon and action sequences in Anime Studio Pro and all my human talking/standing sequences in crazy talk (at that time it was crazy talk 2). Then edit in final cut (movie editor). I had always planned to use a lot of cheat scenes like how they do in hishe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIl_FiV8V6E. Note how they donít have to animate the character feet walking because the shots are closer and from the torso up and when they do action scenes with legs the people are usually in side view.

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  08:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on the look you want. Crazytalk (up to 8.1 now, which I own) is nice for folks who don't have a lot of time or skills to create talking heads, but it isn't very capable of anything else. It does, however, integrate well with the rest of Real Illusion's line (which I also have) like iClone and Character Creator. If you are going to do 3D work it's hard to beat the combination.

Combining with Moho is a totally different story. I would not do it, because Moho is 2D and the two won't look right even if you use a flat shader in CT. And Lip sync with Papagayo (a freebie for Moho) is dead solid simple AND looks MUCH better than CT. CT is very sloppy when it comes to doing lip sync (you can edit and make it better but it's a PITA and compared to Moho is not nearly as nice).

I have tutorials on using Papagayo as well as my script to make it much easier -- you should at least try it once to see how it goes. I wish like hell I could do lip sync as easily in the Real Illusion world as I can in Moho.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have included a link. I was asking about this version of it : https://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk-animator/. I don't plan on learning anything 3-D because I am going for a japanese anime look. As for the mouth style the only reference I can think of right now is Tokyo Ghoul. I think papagayo only has simple mouths which are not replaceable with other images? if I am not mistaken?

As for the program above I see a lot of questionable things. All the demo videos have very simple or cartoony animation that make the program look good and flexible, but may not work for my anime uses. A simple thing like shading my make the characters look wrong or out of place. It is unclear if I can animate my own characters with anime style anime eyes/mouths.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 04/18/2017 7:47:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  8:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it and if it is at all worthwhile for animating more static or redundant scenes.

For example when i was in film school I used final cut pro to edit (old version...new version sucks), imovie (old version...new version sucks) and adobe after effects. All of these had their pros and cons. imovie was good for quick simple videos, final cut is professonal, and after effects was good for special effects.

If you are wondering way a never upgrade Final Cut and i Movie you can view this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKYuF9pENQ. Many editors at the time actually returned the new version. I am unsure if it has improved since. I know imovie never got better again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKYuF9pENQ
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  04:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The images in Papagayo are only there for reference. The program produces a data file which can be used in conjunction with Moho switch layers for semi-automatic lip synching. (Although I have to say that, usually, it still needs a lot of fiddling about to make it look half decent).
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1249 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  05:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by werew0lfgirl_99

I think papagayo only has simple mouths which are not replaceable with other images? if I am not mistaken?

It is unclear if I can animate my own characters with anime style anime eyes/mouths.

You can, as John implies, use your own artwork for papagayo.

A brief word of explanation - Papapgay produces a text file (colloquially a "<dot> dat") that is a list of pairs of {"frame number" and "child layer name"}. (Child layer *names* - not graphics - are standard from the Preston Blair mouth set.) You can do what you want with that. So, e.g. you have two switch layers - one for 3/4 view mouth with YOUR drawn 3/4 mouths and a profile view with your (different) drawn mouths, you can run the same .dat against both and switch between the switches if you want.

and .. you might have your own switch for eyes and use the same .dat to control that as the mouth - e.g. slightly narrowed eyes on an E and slight wider on O ... just remember to have something for each of the expected layer names even if it is only a "copy by reference" of the "rest" or "etc" position.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  07:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, CrazyTalk Animator -- yep that's a different beast and I have zero experience with it.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one I did a while back: https://youtu.be/trAp9lXaLgc
I was interested in getting an action figure to say something, and Crazy Talk wasn't bad for that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page