Work In Progress
 Weird Head Proportions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  08:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I have been having problems getting the proportions on my dragon's head to look right.
This is my dragonís concept art http://lost-shadow-creature.deviantart.com/art/Saphira-Concept-660794262 . Here are 2 clay models I use as reference for the head I am not sure which model I prefer: http://lost-shadow-creature.deviantart.com/art/Dragon-Clay-Head-1-661701578 and http://lost-shadow-creature.deviantart.com/art/Dragon-Clay-Head-2-661701784 .
This is the dragons various anime studio heads: http://www.mediafire.com/file/sinosox5jrt5sq4/Saphira+Drawing+45+heads.anime . Anyway I want the dragon to have a reptilian look with the eyes on the side of its head like a snake or lizard instead of frontal like a wolf. The eyes are meant to be a little large but I want the dragon to have a really natural pretty side view. I want viewers to see it as a beautiful female dragon that fits in a anime teen/adult fantasy. Any suggestions are welcome.

btw I really like how expressive the dragons in httyd are but their eyes are more frontal.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 02/20/2017 08:35:44 AM

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4483 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  10:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the hEAD 3 best, and I really like the eyes (great job). Giving the hint of eyelashes can make anything read more female, so you might try that. For a female dragon, I'd go with the first sculpt. The aggressive jaw spikes on the second one definitely looks more masculine.

I think what makes the dragons in HTTYD so expressive is the amount of whites showing in the eyes. This is much more human than reptile, and allows for dramatic changes in the size and shape of the pupils.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  11:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, eyelashes if not overdone will definitely make the dragon more female. It can be as simple as just some eyelinery sort of thing (sorry, male here who doesn't understand how all the makeup things work :>). Here's a dragon that looks female with just the addition of some black markings at the upper end of the eye:

(Boy I'm really going to miss Dropbox's easy public links. Sigh).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  11:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and in looking at that I see that it's probably also the eyeliner (is that the right term? The black stuff under the eye) that helps with the read of it being female.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  02:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there's something very feminine about the "finger" pose, the curvature / muscle tone in the legs and the feathery tail!
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  06:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@werew0lfgirl_99 -- first off - nice artwork -- you have the basis of a great character there.

I may be getting a bit ahead of where you want to be here but ---

IMO a lot of "femininity" is as much to do with physical attributes (e.g. eye shapes etc as discussed here) but also mannerisms and a more delicate approach to actions such as handling things, walking etc.

Taking that theme one step forwards, one of the things that you might like to consider is to take your base artwork and begin to go further into designing for animation (as distinct from designing the image). Put very simplistically, the heads are all great profile views and you've made a start on the bone rigging - but you might want to think about the shapes / control points you'll need for even small head turns and how you plan to handle speech (e.g. mouth shapes / lip movement).

On a trivial point, the tongue in Head 3 might be better (easier!) done with Curve Profile on 2 shapes.
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  5:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Thank you for the ideas and second opinions. I really needed them. This is for Saphira from Eragon if you familiar with the book series. She is the first model I am making and then I will clone her and modify her for the other dragons in the series. They are all the same type so lucky for me. : ) Anyway you know how sometimes you create a piece of artwork that you think is amazing and then you go back and look at it later and release all the flaws. I am just trying to avoid that.

Anyway when I originally choose to make an anime series for Eragon, I wasnít planning on doing anything special. However when I got the program and realized how powerful it was I decided to take a little more time with the character designs. Btw has anyone created a 30 min episode series with anime studio or moho? So far I am just finding shorts but I would like to find a series I can watch that was made with it.

In my series Saphira will grow from a baby to an adult and as she grows see will grow her adult horns. I do agree that horns and cheek spines make a character more masculine so I am considering letting her grow spiked eyelashes as she becomes an adult. I also favored clay head 1 in some aspects because of the sleek head looks prettier.

As for the eyes I really like my irises on the eyeballs but find something is wrong with the shape of the eye. I was trying to go for a slight eyeliner look with the dark blue but it may be a little too light. This is the picture my version was based on http://www.deviantart.com/art/Eragon-and-Saphira-278199038 . My mom thinks the reason why this dragon looks so good is because the big horn lines draws out the eye like eyeliner.

I will also work on some rigging today it really does control so much. I donít have much experience with it. It seems like there is a correct and very incorrect way of doing it especially with the mouth. My dragon talks with telepathy so their isnít any ip synch but I still need basic movements like smiles and snarls. The curve profile is also a cool tool. I didnít know about it before now.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  5:32:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 22 minute (to fit the 30 minute timeslot of broadcast television) show that was *almost* picked up by Fox (but I don't want to rehash that again).

However, so far from anything you might be doing (not anime and not polished art, to be sure) that I don't know if seeing or even knowing about it would do you any good. However, if you want to watch an episode to get an idea, I'll link to our last one here (as the series went along we got more polished in our animation, but not really any better artwork):

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

159 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  10:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! I am glad to see that anime studio is capable of produce a series. It is too bad it didn't get pick up by fox. The public service commission jokes were too true! lol.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 02/25/2017 10:25:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page