Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  8:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's very generous, WWG, but it's not just any host I need, but one that will support databases (and must be on Windows -- most servers nowadays use Unix but this database runs off of MS Access). My own host package is a lot more than just a "normal" hosting service due to this (this is a reason you can't just run a Snitz forum anywhere).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

160 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  10:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad. : (
Go to Top of Page

RichardU

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  01:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole future of Moho is bumming me out. My time for animation has waxed and waned over the years, but I always have enjoyed watching you guys slay dragons. No matter what happens, I want to thank Mike and everyone else for everything you have done here.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  08:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't let it get you down, Richard. We have a very fine product that will continue to be viable for many, many years to come. Even if worse comes to worst, the open-ended nature of the Lua interface means that things can still be added and improved in the product by many of us who do that. And there is still a possibility that Mike Clifton will get Moho back (or some other situation happens that allows for further official development).

I am still using some software from 10 years ago that works just fine. Moho got to be VERY mature and sophisticated and, honestly, there is little else I'd want it to be able to do. Unlike, say, 3D animation, the 2D animation is unlikely to be obsoleted by hardware or software algorhymic improvements. And, of course, there will still be a community of folks interested in working with Moho and expressing themselves (if not this forum then Lost Marble, or FB or *somewhere* -- for sure I intend to continue to publish to YouTube and may still include other tutorials).

Keep animating!

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1265 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  09:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is also activity by SM - they're advertising for s/ware dev people (Portugal and Serbia) with relevant experience to take Moho forward; Mike Clifton has expressed an opinion that there **might** be a possibility for him to provide SM with consultancy advice; and there's a new Graphic division product manager - Rafael Torres - in place (http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30724).

so in that respect the future is far from bleak.

Much more worrying is SM's business which is heavily dependent on their other business segment - and that is in freefall... SM's stock price has plunged from about $10 to under $1 per share and they haven't made a profit in about 3 years or more. If that causes SM to go to the wall then it's anyone's guess if a Moho-friendly organisation will take on the product...

But, as Mike K says, the version of the product we have works pretty well and it won't stop working just because no-one's actively developing it... and we have a community of scripters who can extend it!
Go to Top of Page

Luthien
Starting Member

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  11:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luthien's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Mike,

I'm just reading this topic. I happen to have a webhost package (at http://vimexx.nl) that is really very good re. performance, but I have not gotten around to doing much with it yet.

As has been offered elsewhere in this thread, I would be happy to let you use the capacity that now goes unused. I also read that your forum runs on a ms access database. I am unsure if that is offered by vimexx - it is most likely a unix based hosed like most - but I'm pretty sure that converting the forum to, say, a recent version of phpbb would be doable.
This would mean that you would then have the existing content in a new forum.

I did things like that many times before, even from a Yahoo mailinglist (though that was quite a hack). I'm a computer programmer for my main job and I wouldn't mind putting some effort in it because I find this a very sympathetic and helpful community.

Let me know if you would like to consider this possibility.

All the best,
Lúthien
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2017 :  12:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind offer, but at my age (and with my time available) converting this forum is not even a remote possibility.

I have the forum paid for for another year (until next May) and will reevaluate at that time (as I mentioned elsewhere, I *may* convert it to a more general animator forum to accommodate other software and 3D as well as 2D -- we'll see).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

160 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  12:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe just transferring most of the information into a new website format would be best. Have you heard of a boonex dolphin? I played with one a little a while back. They are pretty nice and very versatile. I agree with Luthien I like the community.

Within like a couple of months things should be more settled at my place and maybe some of the members (like me and Luthien) here could tag team it. We could transfer important topics and the best showcase examples/tutorials before next year. We could also expand the site to cover more than Moho.

Update: Looks like the only timely way to transfer the site to something like wordpress or boonex dolphin would be to copy and paste past topics as if they were a document into the forum. I tried it out on the boonex demo and all the text would still be searchable since it wouldn't be an image. It's not perfect but the whole site could be transferred this way. There are 3114 topics but this is way better and doable than copying 28504 posts. Here is a screenshot of what I tried:

If it's okay, I will start rebuilding the site as a boonex. I can start in September and finish before May. I can make the Boonex Site look similar to this one. Simple and White with only a forum page no extras unless you want them. I mainly need to know what Topics and Sub-Topics you want. I think it lets you have a main and a sub.

Example:
*General Forum
-Announcements
-Forum FAQ
-Ideas and Suggestions
*3-D
-Blender
*Moho (Anime Studio)
-Problems, Solutions, and General Discussion
-Work In Progress
-Innovations

Later I will give you the keys "passwords" and the users can be transferred. At worst they may have to set up a new password which could be recovered/change through their email.

Please let me know anything you want for the remake of the site. When I finish it the domain name can be repointed and it will be yours. I know I can at least rebuild the forum and reset up the users. Here is a demo of the boonex site and its abilities. http://demo.boonex.com/

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 08/02/2017 02:49:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

160 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  01:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Btw one of the things I love about your site vs lost marble is that it never tells me to search a less common word.

Edited by - werew0lfgirl_99 on 08/02/2017 02:50:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  07:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a very generous offer, WWGirl, but let me think about it before you do any more work and effort. There are some things that this forum offers, like embedding videos, that I would not want to give up regardless of the cost. And I need to see how (or even if) the change to a more general Animator's Forum would be taken (i.e. whether it would generate enough extra traffic to make things worthwhile).

There are HUGE things on the animation front that have surfaced at Siggraph and it may well make it more viable to maintain a site like this. Even I can't believe what is now available to be done.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

160 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  10:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A boonex forum can embed videos from vimeo and youtube. Is there another type of embedding?

How many parts are in your site? I see both http://www.kelleytown.com/ and http://animatorsforum.com/. Is there something else?

Take a look at the demo boonex. I did not make it, it is from their site boonex.com. The only thing I don't know is if the free version is usable on a smart phone. I was playing with it before smart phones completely took over. I don't have a smart phone, I just have my labtop, computer, and extra space though hard drives. I love technology but I don't really see the point in having a expensive phone with a tiny screen. However the boonex demo should probably be tested out with a phone to see if it is lacking or not.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  1:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, I'd have to look at it (and I will, just not right at the moment). It's not usual for a forum to allow an easy embed (one in which the user just pastes the link and then the video shows up) but perhaps that's more the norm nowadays (it certainly is not on the official Moho forum).

And I'd have to look at ALL the tools as well as what rights and abilities there are -- moving a forum over to something which is not completely owned and controlled is not something I'd be willing to do unless I actually was willing to let it go (because you take a chance when you don't control all aspects, that they will change terms and just dump you or make it no longer available -- I suspect you're pretty young, but in my lifetime I've seen this happen WAY too many times not to trust anything without a long track record).

We'll keep this option in mind, though, going forward from here.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

160 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  9:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay cool! : )
Go to Top of Page

rogermate

300 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  6:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll add to the chorus of people saddened by Moho's uncertainty, but very grateful for the amazing help and talent shared on this forum in particular by Mike and Synthsin.

I would like the forum to continue but of course the effort is big so we understand decisions must be made.

Edited by - rogermate on 10/01/2017 6:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  8:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I've gotten back into animation in a huge way (and since I've already paid until May of next year) I'm going to leave this running for now. Even though most (all?) of my efforts will be in iClone, and I'll be sharing them here mostly to amuse myself (although I think a few of you will get a kick just out of seeing them) we'll trudge along and see what happens in the coming year.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page