Edited by - onionskin on 02/15/2017 05:23:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

iteque
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  7:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming if it were up for sale...

I would love for a company like Serif (Affinity) to take it on. They seem to have their head in the right place, and it would compliment the other horses in their stable.

However - with their current pricing strategy they would need to sell 50,000 copies at $50 to make $2.5 mil

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  8:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you also have to understand that valuation is not necessarily realistic. In particular software valuations are up in the air, based on what the company might want versus actual value.

I don't even have a particularly SWAG on the number of users of Moho, but for sure it's got to be no more than 5 figures -- the total user base might not be 50k. Selling new copies of any software isn't where the money is made. You want to expand your base, to be sure, but it's always been about your existing users and milking them for the upgrades. How loyal the base is, how often they upgrade and what you charge is really what a software company is all about (brand new software, an existing more rare a commodity, is another story). So if they have, say, 10k users who have proven to buy the year updates, with another 10k who buy about half of the time, you value it out in that manner and then amortize that over the development and sales cost over the course of the software lifetime (some products having less shelf life than others). It may well be worth five million on paper, but my gut tells me that if you offered, say, a million in cash to Smith Micro they might well sell it then and there.

But all just SWAG and who knows what their future will be.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  8:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, until they ever get around to making a deal to sell, any value is in a very large ballpark.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1246 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  03:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
indeed - an asset is actually worth what people will pay for it and not what a business hopes it might sell it for! and a buyer would need to be given accurate historical licence sales as part of a Due-Diligence acquisition procedure and then make a good estimate of how much they'd need to spend (on marketing, sales and distribution, support and development ...) to keep or regain sales momentum... Guessing that the Moho 12 user base is unlikely to grow significantly (IOW everyone who might buy it has already done so or decided not to) that means making a projection on a model of the Moho 13 business - and that, IMO, means factoring in a significant investment other than a buy-out of the code. The whole Graphics business segment (Poser, Moho, etc) in SM makes about $5M pa ... To think that Moho could attract a buyer if it had a $5M price tag is, IMO, cloud cuckoo land...
Go to Top of Page

Funksmaname
Silver Member

660 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  3:32:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Funksmaname's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a little concerned about the future of Moho, but I guess if the company imagine they have a $5m asset they aren't likely to let it go to waste?? I dunno, hopefully someone will contact the beta testers at some point with some real info about the future...

I must admit, I've fallen off the horse coming to this forum. It's mainly down to the fact I've not really done any animation for a really long time. I've just been playing with beta releases and posting in the beta forum and mantis when I can but not really been involved in real world Moho. I wouldn't like to have the knowledge here disappear. I've not really been active on lost marble either tbh, and made no new tutorials for a long time.

I've actually probably been more involved in the Moho Pros facebook group, mainly because I spend most of my life on facebook (for my sins) and things just pop up all the time. I didn't think I would, I was a resistant to joining initially, but it has proven to be quite fun to see moho stuff in the stream.

Honestly, I'd be very interested in a truly high level facebook group, member only perhaps - Moho Pro's is mostly intermediate or below but you do get the occasional gem.

In other news, the fact Victor is no longer working with SM, and seems to have disappeared somewhat concerns me - he was an amazing inspiration and I hope he hasn't been so badly burned by recent events that he feels he's just DONE with the community :(

It's weird times for Moho, maybe Mike K and Wes should approach SM to become part of the dev team!? finally fix that masking bug xD

hufff....
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  4:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't currently have anywhere near the necessary skills (nor resume) to develop stand-alone software, and Mike often complains about just being pulled back into scripting. So if we're the go-to, Moho really is in serious trouble. Victory has been posting on LM occasionally, so he hasn't completely disappeared. I couldn't blame him for feeling a little burnt and needing to take a step back for a bit.

Who knows what SM has in mind. I'm not even sure the current beta testing program will survive, but that's just my own speculation.

I don't think I'm guilty enough yet to suffer Facebook, especially not in this political climate (too much, from either side).

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  5:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL -- yeah, while I might have had the programming chops when younger there's no doubt I do not now have the skills required (it's a bit like sports -- programming is a young person's game). And even if I *could* do it I would not -- there's a reason I am retired (which is to have FUN!).

Bummer about Victor, but truly sad about it all. I've seen it before, as have most of us. Software development comes to an end even with the greatest programs (and the largest staffs). I'm actually a bit surprised it lasted as long as it has, and has gotten as good as it did.

I do FB for the grandkids and family but it's a bit awkward for any kind of truly archival process, as others have noted here. It's much more ephemeral (although less so than something like Snapchat). And if the traffic would pick up here even just a little I would consider waiting another year (and I may still). I'm kind of in the same boat, Funk, in that I haven't been animating and thus my interest in even promoting things has died down. I find when I post tutorials we get renewed interest here and perhaps I'll do it again, but I'd even settle for just getting some animation done.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Funksmaname
Silver Member

660 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  5:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Funksmaname's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you can, I would not close this place before SM's true intentions are revealed... it may become the 'go to' destination for Moho. While Mike still retains ownership of the lost marble forum, who knows what is going to happen to it as the official channel of SM's corporate plots - having an independent platform may become increasingly important over the coming year - for SM bashing, if nothing else :) *(but lets give them the benefit of the doubt?)

p.s. I was kinda joking about you guys taking over development
p.p.s. Wes, I totally agree with you about FB in general, it's a clusterf**k of time-wasting, offensive, upsetting posts - sometimes I don't know why I bother - but life improves when you start unfollowing people who just post nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4464 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  6:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, everyone I know has had to mercilessly unfollow close friends and family.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  9:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, more and more I'm inclined to give it at least one more year (I will have to resign in May and while I can't say on a fixed income it's easy, it won't keep me from eating. Just not going to any movies :>).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1246 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  4:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons

Yeah, more and more I'm inclined to give it at least one more year (I will have to resign in May ...

I'll repeat my offer to help out with the cost of the forum ...
Go to Top of Page

iteque
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  05:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll repeat my offer to help out with the cost of the forum ...

Yeah - slip a subtle Patreon link into the site footer or your signature, and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the 'messages' of support.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2017 :  08:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I may do just that (if nothing more it will calm the missus, who isn't real happy about the money I spend on things which aren't for the house :>).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

138 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2017 :  5:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I don't really know anything about Moho/Anime yet, just learning and trying not to ask too many stupid questions without trying to find an answer first. Honestly both forums (official and unofficial) seem pretty slow in activity but I know nothing about the page views. I do have some websites myself, never really finished them. Anyway I have a shared unlimited hosting package for the past 3 years if you would like to move your website to my account so you don't have to pay for hosting. I would give you the username/password and you could put a password on your websites hosting folders. You would still have to be responsible for your domain though but I think that is $14 a year on godaddy or hostgator.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page