Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

iteque
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  12:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is/was the news that Moho is coming to an end? I can't talk in terms of sales, but there certainly seems to be more excitement and chatter around Moho 12 - esp. with features like Smart Mesh (Warp).

Also... without wishing to offend. I always found the 50 post / VIP thing slightly arrogant & snobbish - and it put me off using the forum.

Facebook is certainly not an alternative for a good Forum - It lacks the topic structure and proper thread history. But there is an active group on FB (Moho Pros) - with 938 members: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1587755188189276. You do get a number of how-do-I questions, but also see some great creativity and inspirational work.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  12:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30541

Moho may not be coming to an end, but its future is in doubt.
The VIP has been open to all for quite some time now.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

iteque
Starting Member

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  12:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa - that's heavy!

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  08:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, you can't offend us here -- that's the principle reason we founded this forum (as a place where you could say basically whatever you want, as long as it's on topic, without fear of being censored or banned).

As Wes points out, we opened up the VIP forum quite a while ago. It was an effort to try and encourage activity and I do think it was successful but we decided to end it to see if things would change (and they did -- they changed for the worse. So it WAS a proven way to get people to post).

Trying to get folks active is helpful for EVERYONE -- we don't get any money from this, so that wasn't the point. The more people write, the more people learn and engage. It's just hard to get folks to do that.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  7:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, we've never reached a critical mass of posters that would keep activity high and perhaps provide incentive for new posters. Aside from early on, new members are a very slow trickle and not many of them become active posters. Most of our active posters are also active on the LM forum.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do not post much on either forums these days because I have not done any animating in over a year, but I do visit A LOT and read everything and If I have an answer that might help I post it but I stopped buying AS/MOHO at 9.5 and I have nothing relevant to add about the software.

On a side note I have a request for a script if it is possible to do. I'll make a new thread.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

919 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  8:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the script Wes, was that something you already had or did you just write it?

I heard Mike left SM and so did Victor aka Selgin. Selgin and I have been friends on Facebook for a good while and he never said a thing about his leaving SM. I hope his short time with SM did not hurt him in the long haul; he is still really young and I wish him the best.

I got an e-mail today from SM that I can upgrade to 12 for 166 bucks which I will probably go ahead and buy. My luck is Moho will go open source soon and I could get it for free in a few months lol.

Any who, Is there any coders out there that can match brain pans with Clifton to keep Moho going or is 12 the end of it?

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  8:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was an easy script to write, Steve. Took all of about 5 minutes.

Well, Mike Clifton said SM plans to eventually build a new Moho dev team, but I really don't know what to expect without Mike at the helm (nor how long that could take). From my understanding Victor was a contract employee, so he stayed on until the contract was up...longer than the bulk of the team. I'm sure his time there could only help his resume. I think they were hoping to figure something out before sharing this awful news...and nothing seems to have materialized.

If I didn't own Moho 12, I'd pick it up, especially for that price. Just don't expect any existing bugs (no deal breakers that I know of) to be addressed any time soon. IMO, it's not likely Moho will go open-source in the near future. I've heard a very large price tag to buy it from SM thrown around, and only the likes of Adobe or maybe Toon Boom could possibly afford it. And unless they intend to develop it, they would be more apt to kill it as competition.

If Moho ever did go open-source, I'm sure several of us would start cracking at learning the necessary skills to improve it. Since it has been being developed by multiple developers, the code is likely easier to work with than otherwise.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  07:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't go open source -- no incentive to do so (it's an asset and owned by a company, two things that will absolutely keep it from ever being released that way).

Definitely those on the fence should buy Moho ASAP for the sale price. It won't get cheaper for a long time, if ever. It's a great deal still.

Looking around for analogies and I see things like Sibelius, which was acquired by another company and had only a little more development in the last five years or so. But it's still viable, it's still priced where it was at the time of acquisition, and while the parent company doesn't seem to want to promote it much it's hanging around and most likely will be for many years to come. Given that that particular software faces MANY more competitors than Moho does (which really operates in a very distinct niche) I don't think Moho will fair any worse, and possibly a lot better.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

onionskin

182 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  1:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SynthSin75

I've heard a very large price tag to buy it from SM thrown around

If it is not a secret, what price has been offered?
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  2:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't remember exactly, but it's in the millions.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

onionskin

182 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  06:30:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank's for the info, I was expecting that the price would be in the millions, I am just curious is the price around 1, 5, 10, or maybe 100 millions.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  09:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was 5 million but I could be mistaken.

But your remark kind of reminds me of Rockefeller, who once said "A million here, a million there, soon it adds up to some real money."

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

onionskin

182 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  10:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons

But your remark kind of reminds me of Rockefeller, who once said "A million here, a million there, soon it adds up to some real money."

I was aware that it might sound like that, but anyway I am curious how much the Moho cost.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  11:27:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Somewhere between 2 and 5 million if memory serves.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page