Daughter's Birthday Video
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  08:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So after a LONG absence away from Moho I tried to make an animation for my daughter's 40th birthday (yep, I'm THAT old).

I spent a day on this, including creating all assets, but I had to relearn SO many things (and learned a few new ones along the way). Not completely happy with it but I ran out of time (started it yesterday and today's the birthday. I was that kind of student at school as well).

If I had even ONE more day this would have been very polished. Truth be told, I couldn't think of what to do until yesterday morning. She's a huge Marvin Martian fan, and I knew it had to involve him, but every scenerio I could think of just sounded WAY too ambitious (my main idea was going to involve at least three characters interacting).

Oh well, it got my juices going and reminded me I need to get animating again. Hope you get at least a tickle:

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

jahnocli

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  10:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha! Porky Pig was an unexpected bonus!
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  11:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't knock it for one day's work. Serviceable Marvin impersonation too.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  2:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks -- I actually can do Marvin better (well, let's say in my old mind I do him better) and I think you can see that in a much earlier video (The Zurg Christmas one) but yesterday for some odd reason I wasn't as "nasally" as I usually am (which is the key). And I was unexpectedly nervous (I'm NEVER nervous even on camera on live television -- perhaps because I felt this was so important).

Then this morning as I was out shopping I remembered we have nice new motion blur. Doh!!! I went and rerendered and it did improve the spaceship sudden movements rather a lot, but since it's already linked on her FB page and such I didn't bother reuploading it. Another lesson learned for next time.

Oh, and one more thing I struggled with -- as I tried to get masks working yesterday the ones that DID work (for the smoke in the spaceship) then did not let me see Marvin (his layer was NOT masked, but in the preview it appeared to mask him) but only his bones. Trying to animate him with only the bones showing was almost impossible, which is why he doesn't move (and why his eye expressions don't change, as I couldn't see those either). I was running out of time late last night so I just went ahead and did it anyway (I actually had a total of about eight hours work for the whole thing, as I also played tennis).

So now my sleeves are rolled up and I'm going to think of something else to do and get going.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1249 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  05:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah - good stuff for one day. I'd probably have taken nearly that long with just the soundtrack alone! but I'm guessing that you had quite a few assets "in the library". I like looney tunes -- Made me smile...
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  07:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The interesting thing there is that I have - somewhere - a Looney Toons sound FX library but I couldn't locate it. Somehow it's gotten lost on the many many external drives I have. I couldn't find ANY of the vast sound FX libraries I had, nor could I find the Looney Toons background songs I have (I have disk 1 and 2 of Carl Stallings stuff).

So I was panicked but a year ago I happened to buy some visual FX stuff from Video CoPilot (who do great AE tutorials, BTW) and included was a smallish sound FX library that I rummaged around in and found some things that seemed to work for me. The music during Marvin's sequence is from SoundFire Pro (I do still have that music library around) and the end sting I took off a blu-ray I have of Looney Toons Platinum with most (all?) of the great cartoons during the last 50 years.

So now one of my to-do lists of things to accomplish before I'm back up and running is to locate all my assets again. That alone may take a week or two.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page