Tooz Software to be free on 3/26
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  09:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up for those of you who might be interested, but at least one version of the $$$ 2D animation software, Toonz (used by many major studios -- it was used for Futurama just to name one project, but also by Ghibli studios who made MANY classic Anime films) will be open sourced as of 3/26.

It's pretty amazing software, and definitely has features AS would benefit from. While it does include deformation tools, AS is still ahead of the game in that department (mostly due to SmartBones) but their drawing tools cannot be matched. I'm not sure if there would be a way to port their vector stuff (which is stored in a proprietary format) over to AS, but it's something worth considering.

Given that it required thousands of dollars to use in the past it's at least worth a look. My own hope is this free release will at the very least inspire the devs as AS to get off their butts and start working on some better workgroup tools for animation (an area which AS almost completely lacks).

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/toonz-software-used-studio-ghibli-futurama-made-free-open-source-138111.html

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  10:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely picking this up day one.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  1:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's scarcely believable -- I thought it was a scam when I first heard it! It's fantastic news; you'd have to be mad not to think about trying it out, at least.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  4:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the "catch" is they will be giving away the base version with the idea of enticing folks into paying for the more advanced features. So it remains to be seen just how much of Toonz will be there or not.

But any bit of it would be worth exploring. I may have to wait for others to give me the scoop as my time for playing around for stuff nowadays is rapidly dimishing.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll wait a day or two so they can reboot the server a few times after the initial "DDoS attack" when half the animation world goes for this on 26th! (might even be 25th p.m. in the US if it's released at "0900 Tokyo time" )
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  5:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a fairly full version to me, Mike. The press release calls it "TOONZ Studio Ghibli Version", which "will include features developed by Studio Ghibli". Also, it seems their business model is changing dramatically.

"With this agreement in place, Digital Video will move to the open source business model, offering to the industry commissioning, installation & configuration, training, support and customization services while allowing the animators’ community to use a state of the art technology at no cost.

Digital Video will also continue to develop and market a Toonz Premium version at a very competitive price for those companies willing to invest in the customization of Toonz for their projects." - http://www.toonzpremium.com/#!news/aawrs

So it seems they are moving from a software to a service model, with customization of the software to suit specific studio needs. Granted, further development may not filter through to the open source version.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  7:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure whatever they offer will be well worth a look and maybe even end up being a lot of folks' primary 2D software suite.

I think it's more suited for folks with a lot more talent than I have, since SmartBones takes care of things that I can't easily do. I will for sure install it and see how useful it will be to me. I'd be *real* curious to know what Smith Micro thinks about all this (even though it's more likely to be a direct threat to the Toon Boom crowd).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2016 :  8:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, I seriously doubt it will upset the AS market position. While AS is making inroads into serious frame-by-frame and freehand drawing, these are probably always going to be extras that allow the user to remain in a single software, when compared with the core strengths unique to AS.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  2:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  3:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of all things, it was my *brother* who brought this to my attention (I *might* have seen it, because one of my Flipbooks is Animations, and in looking at it I see several articles about this, but I don't get on Flipbook more than once every few weeks so I could have missed it).

He knows I do animation and he posted the link on my timeline (if I have the terminology right -- I don't do much Facebook, either, but I do log in once a day to check on the family). My brother is actually quite artistic and very talented in many ways and has lived in Taiwan now for almost 30 years, so I never see him.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  07:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's here ... https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  07:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the "catch" is there is no English documentation (although there is an English user community, which I assume will be helpful).

Not so sure I want to experiment with such a product, but I did download and will install. If anyone here wants to share their experiences and perhaps tips that would be great (although, frankly, software without documentation is usually pretty useless, at least in terms of production software).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, no documentation is a problem. I did find an English manual for Toonz Harlequin. Don't know if it's a similar enough product. First thing to do...show the tools palette.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  05:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
more about this and overcoming the lack of obviously relevant documentation in the other place --- http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29022

key links copied here:

https://vimeo.com/160517233
https://github.com/cryovat/opentoonz-theme-mori
http://www.toonz.com/cgi-shl/download/71H/Toonz%20Harlequin%2071%20User%20Guide.pdf

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  07:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming one of those links might be to some video tutorial.

On another forum (my iClone one) folks are suggesting that now that the software is available to all there will be lots of video tutorials to help, so that might be the path to learning this stuff. For me I think I'll just wait six months and see what the documentation picture is like at that time (including such tutorials -- and as if I had the time right now to really try this anyway <g>).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  09:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Considering it's just paperless traditional animation, I wold be surprised if you prioritized learning it, Mike. From my initial look, I don't see anything that would entice anyone not interested in freehand frame by frame.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page