New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  9:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm noticing that as an object goes from vertical to horizontal, it stretches, which makes a hand/arm look weird. It's even in the exported animation.

I'm sure it has something to do with screen resolution. Is there a way to keep this from happening?

One must attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible.

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  9:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I'm equally sure it doesn't have to do with screen resolution, at least not how it's set in AS.

Post an example.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  9:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrEB2ztgOqE&feature=youtu.be

Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  9:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as i measure on my screen with a ruler, the distance from top of white sleeve to tip of fingers goes from 6cm to 7.5 cm as the arm rotates.

Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  10:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if i just draw 3 bones and in this file and rotate them, they stretch. I am using point binding for the character, exclusively (by the way). In the bone example that that I just did, there are no points or layers bound at all.

If I create a new file and put in 3 new bones and rotate, I don't get this effect.

-------------------------------------------------------

Happily, a simple fix! just highlighted the character's bone laver in the layers window.. then chose the layers tool and reset the layer in all respects. Problem solved :).

Edited by - rankamatuer on 09/29/2015 10:32:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  12:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Either the bone layer has been rotated, probably on the x-axis, or the camera has been moved funky. If a new bone layer in the same file has the same problem, it's likely the camera.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  12:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was actually the bone layer that I had scaled/rotated. Any new bone I added was added with the same effect. My suspicion is I tried to fatten up the character by widening her at the bone layer several weeks back. Haven't had a chance to try to duplicate it, but very happy it's not a real issue.

Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  01:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last thing I'll add is that I've given myself lots of user names on lots of sites over the years, but never a more accurate one than this one! :).

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  07:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the lesson here is be *very* careful any time you start messing with layers, whether it's scaling, rotating or even positioning.

As a very general rule I try to leave all layers zeroed out whenever possible and move/scale/rotate the vector art on those layers. Obviously there are always exceptions to every rule, and sometimes changing the layer itself is the easiest and/or most efficient way to do something, but there are *many* times it will come back to bite you on the butt, like here.

The one major exception I make to this is positioning layers on the z-axis, but that's a very highly specialized case that accomplishes something almost impossible to accomplish otherwise.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  07:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found particularly, if you scale a layer by squishing or stretching using the middle points on the scaling box it's going to distort as it moves. No doubt the best policy is not to mess with the layers. Unfortunately, I'm about 20 miles deep in doing this with everything I've already done. At the very least, I'm going through all my characters and making sure that the x, y and z values are all equal. That's what caused the last mess.

If I can just get my first animation piece finished, then I'm going to redraw it all from scratch.

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  09:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't know if it will make you feel any better or not, but I did exactly the same thing when I first started. All my character layers, arms, legs, torso, head, were rescaled and rotated to fit, and then I had a mess later on (which is how I learned -- sometimes you can have people tell you things over and over and it never makes any sense until you make the mistake yourself).

I learn a lot from my mistakes -- and I've made a ton of them <g>.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  09:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that "start again", dare I venture, is what **always** has to happen in a one-off (different for a series because, IMO, you've done the try-out stuff in the run up to the pilot) -- I just call it "roughs" / "preliminaries" / "tryouts" / ... for sure re-use as much as you sensibly can, but to try for "right first time" in a one off is often going to leave you thinking "wish I'd done that differently"

back in art class the teacher's rule was "when I say 'stop' whatever you have is 'complete' to the same level of detail" - IOW if you have a scene with 100 objects then they are all (more or less) drawn to the same level of detail as each other - you haven't, e.g., completely finished one tree and not even started on the other 99. Same, IMO, for a film with 100 scenes: scripted / revised / storyboarded / revised / animatic / revised / finalise character and bg art / ...

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  11:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Along that same line is the old adage that a director is *never* finished with a film -- if any director worth his or her salt had their way, they would have made one film and one film only (and still be working on it :>). Only the constraints of delivery mean that at some point you need to stop.

To bring it back to technical (and appropriate) terms, there are renderers (like Indigo) called "unbiased" and all that means is they NEVER stop rendering. You could quite literally render an image the rest of your life with them. What you do is to set either a time or a quality standard by which they meet and then move on to the next frame (or stop if you are only doing a single image).

It's a very interesting process because you are the one who decides how good the render will look, and the temptation is to always want to render a *little* longer (of course, when you are rendering animations you can't spend TOO much time rendering or the project will never finish).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  08:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad to say I was unable to get by with my "layer warped main character". So all that time I spent on him was wasted and he had to be redrawn from scratch. Attempting to animate with him was about as much fun as watching a wounded animal die because everything would warp as I tried to move it. At some point, it's time to throw in the towel and start all over.

I'm a believer now! Fellow nubies, don't mess with those layer settings!

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  09:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, although it might not seem so now, you really didn't waste any time. Even if you have do redo something and it seems like you are starting all over, all the effort you spent you really were learning (and, of course, you were *really* taught a lesson :>).

And, as I said before, it might not help but I've done the exact same thing so you weren't alone. I'm not so sure I learned right away, either (it seems to me that it took me several characters before I finally figured out what was going on).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  11:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will agree with you Mike, it didn't hurt me. This has been teaching me and helping me really pay attention to what makes good character construction, just from sheer repetition ....

The hard lessons are the ones you really remember :).

It's nice to have a main character with all the layer settings at their default settings! I sure had a jumbled mess.

If the gods at Smith Micro would come up with a way to reset layers without altering the appearance of what is displayed, it would be a big improvement, imo. It would be nice to scale layers as a group, then reset them without altering appearance.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page