Other Software
 Looking for a video editor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  2:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm open for suggestions. I don't mind spending a few hundred, so free isn't important to me.

Most important is the time it takes to get up to speed. That's the top priority. I don't want a big learning curve. Anime Studio is hard enough.

What is everyone using?

One must attempt the absurd to achieve the impossible.

Edited by - rankamatuer on 03/25/2015 2:17:50 PM

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  8:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for about $100 you can get photoshop and premiere elements bundled. that's a pretty reasonable deal...
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2015 :  8:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and if you're willing to use an older, unsupported version, Premiere CS2 is still available for download for free from Adobe (in essence they said they wouldn't support anything past Win 7 and it and Photoshop CS2 are now free. They both work well enough, with only a few bugs from time to time).

I use Premiere Pro, of course, and 6 is still available as a standalone version, although Adobe is rapidly getting out of that market (so better to get it while you still can because once they no longer offer it you'll have to pay for a subscription to the cloud, something I refuse to do).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  03:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own an old copy of Sony Vegas and can upgrade to their entire suite for about $350. Otherwise I could get the cloud and all adobes products for $240 for one year since I'm going to be taking a college course this summer. I hate the idea of monthly subscriptions but I'd rather not waste too much time fumbling and adobe products are well supported with training materials so as much as I hate to admit it I'm leaning toward joining the borg. Hoping this doesn't doom me to hell for all eternity.

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  05:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adobe absolutely makes the best products, but remember that if you end up getting "hooked" on their stuff (and by that I mean all your projects in their format as well as time spent learning how things work) and you stop being a student (no one can go to school forever) you will be in fairly big trouble. The cheapest non-student rate you can get is $50 per month (you can get $30 per month for the first year if you own any of their products -- they might have a similar plan in going from student to non-student but it will only be for the first year). Spending $600 per year, although getting you lots of software, is a huge cost compared to, say, spending $600 once (I also note that while you can still buy Adobe Premiere Pro standalone, it isn't offered by Adobe anymore, and it's hardly available anywhere -- even Amazon only has one or two copies left).

Oh, you can get Adobe Premiere Pro on the cloud alone for $20 per month, so that's $240 per year. That wouldn't be *horrible*, I guess (somewhat similar to buying a high end product and then paying yearly for updates). But what happens if/when Adobe changes their mind and no longer offers that? They can, at a whim, decide to raise the rate or just not make it available anymore. It's not like having unsupported software -- once a cloud subscription goes away the software stops working. It's like renting a house versus buying, and if you get kicked out of your home when you've been in it for 20 years and all your stuff is still inside you will be very pissed.

Then again, I come from a very different place. I'm a very old man who is at the end of his life and has to measure things a bit differently. Perhaps renting is the way to go for this kind of thing -- hard for me to imagine that, but I guess if I were young and upwardly mobile I would see things in new ways.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  06:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooo, I just checked it out more fully and once you subscribe to a single app (and perhaps the entire suite -- didn't check that far) you can download older versions starting with CS6 for free (which is what I use).

So... you could pay for your year (or even just one month), download CS6 for free, and you're safe (as long as CS6 is all you use, as I don't think the files are backwardly compatible). IOW, if someone pays just $20 (the price of a one-month subscription trial) you could get CS6 for that price! A *heck* of a deal.

Note: there apparently is a $60 termination fee if you sign up for a year plan and terminate before the year is up (a pay as you go monthly plan is more money). So for other folks (non-students) be careful! But there does appear to be a one-month trial for $20 without such a fee (this is for the single app version) so this is an absolute steal (CS6 for $20 is pretty amazing, considering I paid $300 just to upgrade to it).

To me CS6 is probably viable for at least another five years -- might or might not work on Windows 10, but is well-supported on Win 8 and that will be good for another five. If anyone else out there right now, on either a Mac or a PC, is looking for an editor, there is no finer deal than this.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2015 :  06:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah -- maybe not.

I can't find out for certain whether you get a "licensed" version of CS6 from the cloud or not. So you may be taking a chance in trying this approach. But if you are determined to go ahead and get the student version of the Cloud perhaps you can download Premiere Pro CS6 and tell us yourself (I'd really be curious if you do get a licensed version -- you'll know, because you'll need a license key to enter in).

It's not merely an intellectual exercise -- having a licensed version means you don't have to be connected to the internet to use the software, something that isn't always possible (for example, you might be working on a laptop in the field). A lot of folks would be interested in something like this.

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  05:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as much as I hate to admit it, I ponied up the money for a year of the cloud. I figure this is enough for me to know whether or not it will be worth pursuing animation/video projects. Probably not, but hey. At least I won't be asking "what if". Not many times in life that you can answer that for $240.

Go to Top of Page

mrchris
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2015 :  9:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrchris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey Rankamatuer,
the best photo editing and painting software is Adobe Photoshop but it's so expensive!!! I have an OLD- OLD version of Photoshop
( PHOTOSHOP 7 ) which I believe was created in the 90's and it still works with every windows operating system I've had. I'm using windows 8 now with an i7 intel processor with 6 GIGS of ram and Photoshop 7 works just the same as it did with my old PC so it might worth your wild to find an older version of adobe Photoshop to do all the main task as the new ones. I don't think anyone uses ALL the features that come with new Adobe photoshops software anyway. may work for you. I don't know how will work on Mac since I'm a PC windows user. Good Luck, Bro
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2015 :  06:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. C,

You can get, for free (and legitimately) from Adobe themselves, the CS2 version of Photoshop (which, IIRC, is about three versions removed from the Photoshop 7 you are currently using and has some very important new tools -- well, new at the time and now pretty old -- that might help you).

Essentially Adobe released the versions of their software when they stopped supporting Win 7 - these versions work fine with even Windows 8.1 (although they still have a few pecularities). As I recommended above, you can get Premiere Pro but you can definitely get Photoshop CS2 and I'd recommend it for anyone using any older version. If you need a link let me know and I'll see what I can dig up (or try a Google for Adobe CS2 release version).

I did bite the bullet and am using the Creative Cloud Suite and I have to say I am hooked, unfortunately. So Adobe won, at least in my case (right now I'm paying $30 a month but next year I'll have to pay more. Sigh).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

splash

Germany
77 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  3:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was happy with sony platinum which I bought for < 40 until recently. Then a got a new GPU and it crashes on startup. But it still works in a virtual box because there is no GPU acceleration there. So I can't really recommend it.
I was trying blender the other day. It's possible to do some video editing although the GUI isn't self explaining. But it I haven't found out how to export with Lagarith, I only got PNG sequences.
Microsoft Movie Maker lacks the possibility to fine trim the timing of the audio layer with the video layer. Otherwise it would be OK.
Since AS has many features that people are looking for in video editors you can just use a very simple one. If it can handle audio and video separately it is sufficient. For everything else you can abuse ASP as video editor.
Go to Top of Page

rankamatuer

205 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2015 :  11:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the dark side, Mike Kelley. The Borg has assimilated me as well :).

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2015 :  05:23:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's unfortunate because it really hooks you -- not (for me) Premiere Pro, which I already owned and didn't need any upgrades for, but for all the rest. Right now I'm just having so much fun with After Effects (which is SO different than the one I had a decade or two ago) that it's hard to imagine giving it up, despite the drain on my bank account (since I'm definitely *not* a student).

Perhaps in a year or two I'll feel differently, but I can definitely see how Adobe can be adicting (and the first taste is "free"!).

(Here's just an easy, early effort, all done in AE).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Noiz2

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  2:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Noiz2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK old thread but probably an ongoing topic.

There are really two questions that are very important. First is Mac or Windows? Especially in the "easy to use" category the options will be quite different.

Second is it the end of the line or part of the team? If the video editor is the last stop then compatibility with other apps isn't very important. On the other hand if you are going to work with others then you need to be able to send or receive compatible files.

I don't work in Windows so not a lot of help there but on a Mac.

Cheap and easy would probably start with iMovie then FCPX, and end up with higher end apps like Premiere and AVID, and now DaVinci.

The last three can all talk to other professional applications, the first two less so or not at all.

Cheers
SK

Scott Koue

http://www.scottkouesound.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0468138/
http://noizonnois.blogspot.com/
http://bugnoutofbabylon.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: