New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

neeters_guy
Silver Member

508 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  04:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seeing that turnaround example in the CT video got me thinking of how to implement such a thing simply in AS (ie., without scripts). I had this idea before, but it was too complicated to do in earlier versions. But with nested layer control and the ability to sort layer with smart bones, I think it's feasible now. With this rig you can turn the head, shoulder, hips, hands, and feet independently.

Here's a sample file. It needs improvement (esp. separate upper and lower torso bone layers...ugh), but I think you can get the basic idea of how it works. edit: slightly improved version

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Thanks to super8mm for his suggestion on how to copy smart bones actions. It actually works!

----
http://neetersguy.tumblr.com/

Edited by - neeters_guy on 11/27/2013 8:00:44 PM

Telemacus

Australia
96 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  07:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks simply outstanding!
Go to Top of Page

ulrik

Sweden
359 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  2:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ulrik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It looks great!! Well done, it will be interesting to examine your name file, thank you!
Go to Top of Page

super8mm
Silver Member

803 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  5:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! Neeters, you sound very incredulous about my abilities.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4637 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  6:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  6:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
neat. I guess there's still a lot of "legacy" in there - switches, mandcon rigs, unfilled shapes ...?
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

508 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by super8mm

LOL! Neeters, you sound very incredulous about my abilities.

Heh, I have great faith in your abilities.

quote:
Originally posted by hayasidist

neat. I guess there's still a lot of "legacy" in there - switches, mandcon rigs, unfilled shapes ...?

Um, yeah, I should have cleaned it up more. I posted a link in the first post to an improved version so all the bones are in one layer. Don't know why I didn't do that to begin with but...eh.

Thanks, guys.

----

Edited by - neeters_guy on 11/27/2013 8:10:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  8:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You continue to impress!
Sample files are so very helpful, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2013 :  9:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm astounded that this rig has not excited more interest and questions.
Why does the action start in frame 6? Is that so the cameras can be set?

The arms have empty fills. Is that so they can be copied/modified to go in front or in back of the figure? Is mandcon the most practical way to achieve that?

She looks like she could walk cycle in any direction, turn, and walk some more. I follow neeters_guy future development(s) with this technique with pronounced interest!

What is your thought process as you design a character such as this?

Smith should be begging you for a webinar!

Edited by - rocky53204 on 11/30/2013 10:20:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

508 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  01:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocky53204

Why does the action start in frame 6? Is that so the cameras can be set?

The camera keys are showing in the sb timeline, but they aren't important to the actions. The smart bone is rotated to 360 degrees at frame 24, so the frames correspond to different views like so:

frame 0 = front
frame 6 = side right
frame 12 = back
frame 18 = side left
frame 24 = front

I adjusted the bones, points, and layer orders on frame 6 to match the side view, frame 12 to match the back view, and so forth.

quote:
The arms have empty fills. Is that so they can be copied/modified to go in front or in back of the figure? Is mandcon the most practical way to achieve that?

Making the arms from the same mesh keeps the upper and lower arm shapes lined up. I used the mandcon for simplicity sake. There's no reason that smart bones couldn't be used as well. Probably look better too.

quote:
What is your thought process as you design a character such as this?

The rig has some problems, the biggest one being that the turn only goes in one direction. The workaround is to mirror the rig or rotate the smart bone 720 degrees and add keys in the opposite directions (I think).

Thank you for your interest. I'm just an AS user like you.

----

Edited by - neeters_guy on 12/03/2013 01:09:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Funksmaname
Silver Member

660 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  7:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Funksmaname's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! (and I like the character style too)
I've just checked our file - it never occurred to me to split the rotation of everything separately - but it makes a lot of sense for adding realistic twisting movements instead of linear rotations. I will absolutely experiment with your idea :) thanks for sharing.

one thing, which I'm sure you're aware of but other may not be - each action is made of very few frames which is the cause of the 'jumpy' rotation with fine movements - if you spread the actions over 100+ frames you get smoother fidelity. Although, this does give the movements a less digital feel this way so could be considered a stylistic choice :)
Go to Top of Page

oldnovice
Starting Member

43 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2014 :  4:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit oldnovice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping that people who don't know what "mandcon" is will be able to understand this - I first posted in another thread on this, glad to find the right one. Sassy is a great model for a dancer/singer. Who needs 3D with this technique? I think lots of people would be glad to find out more about how this was done.

Go to Top of Page

MyPhotoMet
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  07:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really impressive! The project looks really perfect and not have to add anything, I downloaded the project and saw that it really simple and so it is impressive
     Thank you,
             myphotomet
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

508 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  4:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a simpler version (I hope) that distills the main idea behind this rig. There're no mandcon joints or point interpolation; all the smart bone actions are either layer sorting or switches. So that you can see the switching better, I've color coded the different views as follows:

0 degress is full front (white)
45 degrees is 3/4 front (light grey)
90 degress is facing stage right (grey)
135 degrees is 3/4 back (dark grey)
180 degrees is full back (black)
225 degrees is 3/4 back (dark grey)
270 degrees is facing stage left (grey)
315 degrees is 3/4 front (light grey)
360 degrees is full front (white)

Each of smart bones (red) controls a different part of the body:

1) Head
2) Shoulder
3) Hip
4) Left Hand
5) Right Hand
6) Left Foot
7) Right Hand

The best way to understand this rig is to examine it a section at a time, starting with the hands, feet, and head. These smart bone actions consist of switch changes only. Then move on to the shoulders and hips; the actions here involve layer sorting, switches and bone translation.

The reason I came up with this is because body turns look better when body parts move with offset timing, eg., the feet may move first, followed by the hips, torso, then finally the head. So independent controls is one solution. Here are a couple examples to show the difference:

Anyway, I hope that helps.

----
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  6:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely amazing, thanks for the teach! I plan on using this technique on an immediate basis.
Go to Top of Page

oldnovice
Starting Member

43 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  3:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit oldnovice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Neeters - who needs 3D?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page