New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FeniX
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  7:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Just a quick survey - do you doodle - when and how often?

Most cartoonist start off with rough sketch doodles and from that perfect their cartoonist skills.

Are computers killing off the art of doodling - ? There are no rough drafts - just the finished item - its not an organic process but does this matter to you if you have tight deadlines and budgets?

Does doodling make for a better cartoonist?

MattInTheHat

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2013 :  9:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Fenix.

I doodle. I doodle mostly when I am on the telephone for a long time or any other time when I am bored. I worked as a telemarketer for a short time and I doodled my brains out.

I think my doodling is only out of boredom and a way to prevent further insanity. Rarely are they anything other than random shapes and lines and there is never any intention to create anything particular. Just spreading lead (graphite?) on paper.

If ones reasons of doodling are similar to mine than my guess would be that smart phones are killing off the "art of doodling". Where one might doodle to relieve boredom, nowadays people just turn on their smartphone and get lost in a social network or an app. Not me. I do not have a smart phone. I do believe they may be killing off the "art of social interaction".

Although if I sit down with the intent to create something but I can't think of something to draw or how to approach it, I will usually just quickly "doodle" some nonsensical shape, look at it, and then add detail to turn it in to something unique.

Survey complete. Does this count as community service?

-Matt

Go to Top of Page

RAMWOC87

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  3:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit RAMWOC87's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I doodle, I doodle all the time. That's how I get inspiration for a lot of my characters, but a good majority of the time is for fun/the fight off boredom. No, I don't think computers could ever kill off doodling, I think the Ipad is what we have to worry about...

Never leave your feet unattended, especially when jaguars are around.
Go to Top of Page

FeniX
Starting Member

30 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2013 :  09:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some really smart insights into doodling - does seem smart phones may relieve boredom (I.M.H.O.) where otherwise those artistically inclined would doodle. I still hold on to the hope that a doodle can make for a more talented animator - points for all - pity as I don't hold the keys to the points safe.
Go to Top of Page

Thatch
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  07:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to get back into doodling. I used to draw all the time. Lately all my work has been on the computer and I find my hand skills lacking. I even have 21" Cintiq and while it helps a bit I'm still not sketching out my ideas nearly as much as I used to. I also got a mind mapping software that while beneficial keeps me tied to a computer and not to a pencil and paper where I think ideas come more freely... actually, just as I wrote that it made me think about it a bit more. I think that's my problem with doodling now. I get halfway on a picture and/or character and I don't want to go further for fear of messing up what I have, or having to try and do it all over again. It's my digital spoiling I guess, where unlimited undo's and copy & paste let me play with something over and over again. hmmmm, something to work on I think.
Go to Top of Page

friedfishcomics
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  2:30:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit friedfishcomics's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think most artist will always doodle. I am now moving my art into full digital production, but I am sure it will never be 100 % digital, for the simple fact that nothing beats doodling on a cheap piece of paper with the cheapest pen you can find. I scan the doodles and then ink them on the computer. The pencil and inking process I just left behind me after 40 years of drawing...finally the inking also in the computer ;-) Saves a whole bunch of storage room....

Edited by - friedfishcomics on 10/21/2013 2:30:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

dueyftw

217 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  11:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doodle? I can't draw, why would I do something to remind me of it.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  06:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my boat exactly.

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Telemacus

Australia
96 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  10:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try sometimes, but really awful stuff. :)
I do like "Sketch n Draw Pad HD", a free Android app, really awesome for doodling or sketching.
Go to Top of Page

thekingdub
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  5:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit thekingdub's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that doodles are essential to my process. Doodling/sketching is the beginning stages of character development, this is where I start to feel out the "who/what/why/when/how's" of that individual. Everything from size to emotions are done in my sketchbook through multiple drawings and notes. I actually have a hard time with using a digital process to doodle. The computer/tablet seems to feel more final than a regular pen and paper. Great Question though, definitely stood out to me, good stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Realifefilms
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2015 :  4:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Realifefilms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
doodling helps the development of character for me.
Go to Top of Page

troypicou
Starting Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  8:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit troypicou's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All the time!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page