Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  9:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iheyd... thanks for the share!

I don't know if this would be helpful as I was working from a Flash example and never completed it. (from 'How to cheat in Adobe Flash CS3'... I offer it as educational which is 'fair use') So... my mouth designations may be far from perfect.

If you use a Yahoo search for 'cartoon mouth shapes' and then click on the images you can find quite a few examples. Also, the AS library characters have several examples.

anme file Pro 9.2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9czjm9qfv5qow5d/goof_temp.anme

Edited by - rocky53204 on 06/14/2013 10:19:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  10:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.oddjobjack.com/freejack.php

Files seem to be available here but I have no idea what a torrent is. (Moreover I have no Flash)
How do you access these?

Edited by - rocky53204 on 06/14/2013 10:10:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  11:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, they aren't there (which is why I provided that separate link, where they actually are).

To download a torrent you need a client -- there are tons of them out there but BitTorrent is probably one of the best (or at least most widely used). You load the torrent into the client and it then downloads it (as well as uploads it for others -- this is the part of a torrent that you need to be careful with. Remember that copyright owners take a dim view of sharing their files. In this case it's no problem since the folks want their files to be shared and are actually actively using the torrent process as a way of distribution, but other things are more problematic and way beyond the scope of discussion on this forum).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  08:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying out BitTorrent (very easy to use) now.
Are there security concerns with products of this nature?
It seems like you may be opening up your machine for use by others.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  08:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as you have adequate firewalls all that is happening is that your machine is transferring requested data from the torrent. There is no other breach available for others to "get in". It's *somewhat* the same as sharing a DropBox file (although in this case the actual entire file exists no where on the web itself).

The bigger concern is whether your provider frowns on your use of such procedures (they can and will track such things). You can turn on encryption to provide some help, but if you are truly worried about it you should get anonymous services (and I've already explained far too much than I really want to -- do a web search for more information).

"Look, I made a hat...
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  1:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i never thought of searching for mouth shapes lol i always typed in mouth phenomes and couldnt really find anything that i liked. so thanks for the tip rocky. ill check it out.

i like the style of your goofy mouth as well. it looks like itd be easy to make angry/ and neutral mouths from that set up.

-Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/IronHeyd

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  2:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also get this for free:

http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/store/catalog/Cartoon-Solutions-Newsletter-sp-15.html

which does give you an AS file with the mouth positions in a view that can be used either for front or 3/4 (I actually prefer this view to the ones you both have given in those sample files above, which I would consider more a "side" view).

"Look, I made a hat...
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  2:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and speaking of that link, it demonstrates what I said in my first reply here in this thread (and that was WAY before I had even found this link).

It uses a total of 7 mouth positions, because the rest shares the same with MBP, and the O shape can be used for WQ and U. Quite frankly, I've been doing this now for about a year and I don't think my lip sync looks any different (and if *I* can't tell then I doubt whether anyone else can, as I'm very critical).

As I said in that first reply, a lot depends on your style -- if you have characters which talk verrrry slowly or you want extreme exaggeration in your mouths then your mileage may vary, but I would think it would need a very practiced eye to even detect a difference then. And any place you can cut corners without affecting quality is a good place <g>.

"Look, I made a hat...
Go to Top of Page

schemer

129 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  3:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the FREE heads by signing up. Thanks. Is buying the rest of the character a good deal for someone just getting started?
schemer
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
downloaded aswell! thanks mike for the link. hopefully i can trace and make some happy/angry/neutral mouths from that. shouldnt be to bad lol

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  4:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schemer

I got the FREE heads by signing up. Thanks. Is buying the rest of the character a good deal for someone just getting started?
schemer

I guess that would depend on what you were looking for. Although Wena has used their stuff for some animations, I wouldn't as a general rule recommend anyone buy anyone else's characters for that purpose.

When I was starting off I bought a character or two just to try and understand how others were rigging their stuff. But I think between the samples provided in AS along with free things that folks here on on the Lost Marble have provided there is plenty to learn from (not to mention, ahem, some tutorials that people have provided on exactly how they were rigging things).

Examining the sample images from that character it also does't look like it takes into account the advantages AS has -- I see built in creases for arm and leg bending that aren't needed, for example. That's most likely because it was designed for Flash and adapted for AS. So learning how it's rigged might not be a good idea anyway.

But I do like Cartoon Solutions -- I've actually bought several of their Flash drawing tutorials because after taking into account the differences between the programs, there is a lot to be learned there (I have a forum topic on just this if you're interested -- search for "Cartoon Solutions").

"Look, I made a hat...
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2013 :  4:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iheyd

downloaded aswell! thanks mike for the link. hopefully i can trace and make some happy/angry/neutral mouths from that. shouldnt be to bad lol

I'm going to do a very quick tutorial on the way I've been experimenting with mouths that might be helpful in this regard -- let me see if I can get it posted in the next 15 minutes or so (because after that I'll lose interest :>).

"Look, I made a hat...
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  1:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animators/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2042 here's the link to the video Mike recently did on this subject.

thanks again mike!

now i need to figure out hands lol. I got a set off of cartoon solutions, and i have to figure out how to make it into a style that looks like i drew them (right now im painting the black line the same colour as the hand and then hiding some of the lines, seems to be working.) ill take a pic of before and after once i get them done.

is there a trick to getting the hands for both upstage and downstage? or do you just flip them and remove a line to make it look like the back?

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  4:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use switch layers for hands and drew all my own, although I did subsequently buy the Cartoon Solutions male hands pack. At the time they only offered just the two, male and female, but I note now they offer at least six, with two for each male and female and two more for a "child's" hand which actually looks to me more like the ones I draw for all my characters -- it's more cartoonish or at least more in the cartoon style I use. I think it's good that you are doing them to be your own style, and for me they are more inspiration as to what other hands to create.

What I do with hands is both general enough for anyone and also specific to my workflow. [description deleted] Ah, heck, it seems so simple to describe but I think I'll just do another quick video because a picture is worth 1K words, right?

"Look, I made a hat...
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2013 :  4:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animators/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2044

"Look, I made a hat...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic