Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  6:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive been looking around for a while and cant find an example of 3/4 mouths, or how to make them look happy/sad/or neutral. what i am currently doing is taking screen caps of family guy whenever they use a different phenom and just tracing it onto AS. could anyone point me into a direction that would probably help, the mouths i am using are not up to par now with the rest of the character.

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  6:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The good news is you don't need very many mouths. While Papagayo (and Anime Studio) can use up to 10 different phoneme shapes, at least several of them are so similar to each other that you can skip it, IMHO (I generally use the same shape for MBP as for Rest and U and O can share the same -- you might even get away with the same for the WQ position, depending on how fast your characters talk). So we're really only talking about 7 or 8 shapes and most are easy to draw.

While there aren't many (any?) 3/4 reference charts around on the web I can find, the Preston Blair frontal series (referenced a lot) can be used to the same effect -- just imagine things turned around to one side. The Rest/MBP is self-explanatory. etc is just a "smile" position with the mouse halfway open and the teeth showing. E and AI are full mouth open positions, with AI being the slightly wider open, and generally showing the tongue at the bottom of the mouth (again, you *might* be able to get away with the same shape for both, further reducing your count). The WQ/O/U positions are just like that would sound -- make an "Oh" sound and look at your lips to see how they round up.

The only two tricky positions are "L" and "FV" -- for FV I use a closed mouth position and then "saw" the bottom lips (so the teeth show through). L is an open mouth (just like for E/AI) but with the tongue touching the top lip.

You can draw these shapes in less than half an hour but don't feel bad about looking at Family Guy for reference -- that's how I did it to start (although I did learn that they didn't follow the classics and "cheated", which is why I end up cheating in different ways. Just like me they have a lot of very fast dialog and don't need or use all the mouth shapes).

Among my many video pursuits I'll see if I can knock off a quick mouth tutorial (although tonight is looking iffy -- wife has that "honey do" look in her eyes and I suspect I'll need to finish a home project before I can go play. I spent WAY too much time today on animating). But I *promise* I'll get two or three of these out tomorrow morning.
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  7:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol. gotta do that honey-do list, thats the main thing haha.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f13xc1q3o1a3yni/standard%20mouth.anme thats the mouth set i use from those screen shots i was talking about, i also did a female mouth aswell same style as family guy.

do you post most of your series on youtube? if so whats the channel? ive looked at mike kelly and found some but i dont think it has all of them on it. thanks again.

i also like syncing myself i think it is more accurate and papgayo doesnt work on my mac.

ive done a couple animations but they were not done on an animation program. (if anyone knows about the apple motion program thats what i used to use before i found AS)

Edited by - Iheyd on 06/02/2013 7:47:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  8:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty old and I'm not *quite* sure I understand the YouTube Channel thing, but when I go to my page and then Channel I get this URL:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MikeDKelley

So perhaps that's what you want. As to our shows -- our first four or five were posted on Vimeo before YouTube allowed me to upload longer than 15 minutes. As soon as that changed I started posting our shows there but have never gone back and put them on YouTube. You ought to be able to find them on Vimeo (it should be easier to search there since there are fewer Mike Kelley's <g>).

I understand YouTube is going to redo the channel thing and perhaps then I can reorganize all my videos and put them into categories -- right now I'm not real happy with the way you get everything all in one lump, so to speak. I'd rather sort them as to tutorials and animation pieces and even order the series so people can watch it properly. I need to see how the new channel works out, though.
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  8:23:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ill take a look into the youtube thing because im pretty sure you can put everything into a sub channel so-to speak so someone can click on a "folder" to just tutorials or your series and you can organize your series aswell. ill look into it for you unless someone else beats me to it, cuz im not 100% sure how

-Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/IronHeyd

Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  9:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

i did a quick tutorial on this subject, idk if others can view it in playlist form but i can so if someone could confirm this actually works that would be awesome. (go to profile and videos) not sure only uploaded 2 videos so im pretty new at youtube aswell.

if you want me to add a text tutorial i can aswell, hopefully this will help some people.

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  9:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I just upgraded to the new channels and you can create your own sections there which makes it easy to organize things. I got at least most of the videos in better order and I'll work on getting the rest of our series uploaded as time permits.
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  09:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try http://www.oddjobjack.com/freejack.php.
Characters contain lipsynch poses in profile, 3/4 and full face, happy, angry and neutral. You'll need a copy of Flash to open the files (they're .FLA format) but an old copy of Flash will do just fine. Lots of stuff there, and it's all legal!
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  10:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um, I get a page not found error there -- wrong link?
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  10:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After doing a little more experimenting I find that there isn't any way to download those files from that site (at least that this old man can tell, and I'm pretty experienced with torrents, which is what he uses).

However, you *can* find the files on The Pirate Bay, which I won't link to for obvious reasons here. Probably available from most bittorrent tracker sites as well.
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  11:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow - sorry about that. Here is the "home page" of the site:
http://www.oddjobjack.com/
I did download all of these files (admittedly some time ago), and it was all completely legit! Thanks for doing some detective work on it anyway, Mike.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  12:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, he says he is sourcing the files via the Creative Commons (a concept I highly believe in) so, yes, it should be legit to download them, but the key is that his site doesn't have the torrent links anymore (and in any case, the torrent I did find isn't well seeded, if at all, so downloading them may be problematic).

Assuming you *can* download them then it would be fair use to distribute them to others (that, in essence, is what a torrent is all about). So if you have those files around somewhere you could share them with the OP if you'd like and not feel any qualms about it (which is what I'll do if I ever can get the torrent to download -- as of yet I've not even been able to connect to a single peer).
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  12:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, a little more research and I think I have a good torrent for this.

It's big (nearly 10GB) so there's no way I'm going to share this myself, but it looks fairly well seeded and you should be able to get it assuming you have any experience at all with torrents (again, not really something I want to get into on our site). Here's the link:

http://www.clearbits.net/torrents/42-odd-job-jack-s03e1-13-assets

If/when I get this downloaded I'll see if I can find the mouths and provide them to the OP (should be fair use and all -- they actually seem quite interested in sharing their assets, I guess on the theory that if someone else wants to help out making their shows they will, although that seems rather a long shot. But you never know...)
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  4:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey i just downloaded this and this is amazing stuff for a beginner. for someone who cant really draw or know how to draw this comes with all the backgrounds (PNG file) a lot of props (PNG or FLA file), characters (PNG or FLA) and some neat camera angles. what i am doing is going into flash and exporting the mouths as a png file then bringing that into AS and tracing them. just by doing that i have learned how to draw most of the mouth phenomes. im trying the hands now and it is pretty tough, getting everything to look good. but i think i will be taking the props and stuff and using them as a reference image to do most of my stuff.

Thanks for the links really helped. (if someone wants to see the mouths i can put the anime file up here. i have one female and one male. but im not a pro, but i think they are good for a beginner lol

-Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  5:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing the mouths just for fun.

I did download all of it eventually but I'm kind of hopeless when it comes to Flash Pro and while I was able to see the mouths I never really understood how to break down the individual files (I assume Flash Pro is nowhere near as complicated as it seems but from first glance it looks like something I would *never* master, which is odd because the drawing tutorials I purchased on it are easy to understand and can even translate well into AS).

It's a good thing Flash Pro didn't cost me anything (per se -- I have the Adobe Creative Cloud thingee).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"
Go to Top of Page

Iheyd

Canada
206 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  6:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0m2tmde8qlobluc/mouth%201%20copy.anme is the link.

im not really familiar with flash so i was just clicking around, but ill try and retrace the steps i took.

-open a FLA character file
-in the library it has a whole bunch of objects (the icon is a square, circle and triangle.)
- find what ever angle mouth you want. it will be names "CHARACTER NAME" -> "BODY ANGLE" -> "HEAD COMP"
- double click on the "head comp"
- hide all the layers other than the mouth in the timeline (little pencil has an x) (unless you want the eyes or any other head part)
-then go back to the library to same layer in the library and right click on that and export as image sequence(or a sprite page and then you get them all in one image)
- save to wherever you want.
and then youll have png files of all the mouths in that characters mouth sequence.

thats the way i did it just by screwing around for a little while so i dont know if theres a more effective way.

-Steve

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page