Her new video...

http://vimeo.com/50531435#

Her blog: http://blog.ninapaley.com/

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's pretty brilliant.

I love art deco, so she had me there. And, of course, it's very clever and funny (although I can't go without pointing out this particular idea/theme could have been applied to ANY area of the world. For those of us in the West it might seem as though that "land" has had more than its share of battles, but that's really only because there is more history there. What she is basically relating is the story of mankind, irrespective of where they live. Sad, but true).
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and does anyone have any idea what software she is using? I'm guessing Flash, just because, and pretty obviously this is right in Anime Studio's wheelhouse, but I would doubt she is using that. Because it's very simple rigging, even Toon Boom could get this right (and a tribute to the power of even simple, cut-out rigging. Shows it's truly the artist and not the tools).
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  12:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She used the MacroMedia version of Flash for her epic full length feature 'Sita Sings the Blues'. She did not like the versions which followed after the buyout of MacroMedia by Adobe.

She recently indicates that she uses Chrome browser (as do I) which does not support Flash so she may be looking for something new.

Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  2:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wrote Nina, her reply...

Yep, Macromedia Flash 8, on an old Mac (it doesn't run on the new ones).

Thanks!

--Nina

http://www.ninapaley.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  3:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm. I wonder if we could make her a convert?

Tell her about AS, Rocky -- it never hurts to have incredibly talented folks using the software we love!
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  7:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was very entertaining. Loved the "Whoís Killing Who?", just for the name alone.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

ulrik

Sweden
358 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  03:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit ulrik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great idea, and well executed!
Go to Top of Page

neeters_guy
Silver Member

504 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit neeters_guy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's the work of a true artist. I wonder if she had the same rights clearance issues with the music that she had with Sita Sings the Blues?

----
http://neetersguy.tumblr.com/
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  3:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nina is working on a new full feature animation...
The latest snippit can be found here...
http://vimeo.com/108679857
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  8:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So did you convert her to AS? <bg>

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  8:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried to... I as well as others have communicated with her about AS. She is committed to open source software and the old macromedia version of Flash. She has indicated lately (on her blog) she feels Flash has been ruined (by Adobe) and does not like being at the mercy of commercial software changes. That Flash version will not run on newer machines.

She had Tasatriste (Victor Paredes) give a lecture at university in Evanston (Illinois, USA) and was quite impressed with what he was able to do. Nevertheless she may try to Kickstarter an open source version suitable for her style.

She may have influenced recent changes of 'Synfig' as it now offers bones as well as other new features familiar to our group.

Beautiful animation work, brilliant artistic and stylistic output, beautiful mind.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2015 :  04:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with at least three of those designations, but anyone who doesn't consider AS because it's not open source... well, let's say I question their intelligence <g>.

And I'm not quite sure I understand what the issue is with here even continuing to use the old Flash. You don't HAVE to use new tools. If you have something that works, and a machine that supports it, why change? I think sometimes we get caught up in the old "grass is greener" syndrome of wanting the latest bells and whistles. Heck, I think I have made that mistake with AS as well -- while the new version has some nice stuff, if you don't use it, why change?

For me the clearest example of this is Word -- I still like Word '97, which runs fine on any new machine. After that point the stuff they added was just stuff no one ever needed in a word processor. Sometimes you have to say "enough is enough" (however, Smart Bones is the exception that proves the rule of sticking with what you have and like <bg>).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  1:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In her own words... found on her blog...

"In 2008 I vowed that the only animation software Iíd switch to, once I had to give up Macromedia Flash 8, would be Free software. Why? Because Adobe bought Flash and ruined it. Among their other unforgivable crimes was crippling Quicktime video output. Old Macromedia Flash could export to any video codec Quicktime supported, including the luscious and useful ďAnimationĒ codec. Adobe removed high quality output options to force users to process .swf files through After Effects. I could have lived with the insult and expense of being forced to buy After Effects, but not of having my workload and production time increased just so Adobe could try to squeeze more money out of its customers.
Now itís 2013 and Iím still using the same copy of Macromedia Flash 8 from 2005, on an old Mac that supports OS 10.5, because old Flash doesnít work on newer computers or newer operating systems. Iím frozen in time, and itís starting to hurt.

5 years have passed and thereís no viable Free vector animation software for me to switch to. Synfig supposedly can do all sorts of wonderful things, but itís simply not useable by anyone not actually developing the software. I devoted quite a bit of time and effort trying to switch, even getting a devoted Linux box for it; it didnít suck from lack of effort on my part. That said, I do trust that the problem is with the user interface, not the back end; existing Synfig could conceivably serve as a starting point for making some really good software I could actually use.

Whether itís a massive Synfig UI overhaul, or something new built from scratch, I need a good, Free vector animation program to switch to. Iím talking Free as in Freedom. Itís not the price of the software that puts me off. Iíd pay to switch to ToonBoom, for example, if I thought it would be reliable. But no proprietary software is reliable. At any time its ďownersĒ can cripple it and otherwise screw over their customers, in pursuit of whatever misguided business model they fancy at the time. Itís not the loss of my good money I canít tolerate, itís the loss of ALL MY WORK. Meanwhile the world moves on, new file formats and codecs are developed, and whether my work is compatible with progress remains at the mercy of my softwareís corporate overlords. Even now I canít export my Flash illustrations as .svg files; SVG wasnít in demand when Macromedia released Flash 8, and because Flash is proprietary no one can add an SVG export feature to it now.

I need vector animation software I can use in the years and decades to come, that can grow with the times, and allow the future access to the work I do today."
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6376 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, while I understand part of her sentiments, I'd have to say that Anime Studio has perhaps better than almost any other software, stood the test of time. Heck, you can still read AS files from the Moho days (over a decade ago) into AS 10.x. Or, to put it another way, even if she had just stuck with Moho 5.4 (a release identical with Anime Studio Pro in 2006) she'd be okay on her Mac.

It's one thing to be burned by one company and never wanting anything to do with them again, but to paint the entire software industry with the same brush? That's a big like saying you voted for one President and because he was a scoundrel you'll never vote again (if I had done that I would have given up voting nearly a half a century ago :>). Or, perhaps more to the point, if Apple released a bad computer you'd never buy from them again (which I doubt she feels even though it's very true).

While I can't predict the future (and anyone who tries is a fool) I'd bet the house on AS being viable for as long as I live, which admittedly isn't as long as her life span. But, as I said above, I kind of doubt her intelligence in this matter (great artists are not known for being the brightest bulb in the box :>).

"Look, I made a hat...

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page