Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

super8mm
Silver Member

803 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering why it looks over exposed then I remembered about the gamma bug from the h264 codec. Gotta watch out for that.
http://ahrengot.com/tutorials/fixing-quicktime-h264-gamma-bug/

As for the plane, you should try flipping the scene for the plane to move from left to right. Usually, unless special circumstances, this direction is more natural matching the direction we read.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  10:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayasidist

That's an "A" Mike.. yep - the Clipper - formally the Boeing 314 and 314A, and just 12 of them NC18601-NC18612, to those who give a hoot - and, as you say, an amazing plane (indeed - to have been around then and flown in it <sigh>; but then we wouldn't be here having fun with AS had that been the case!).. sadly all of them sunk or scrapped and out of service by 1951. But: NC18601 which, just before the end of the war was scuttled rather than let fall into enemy hands, has been found and they're wondering if it can be salvaged. There's a lifesize model in an Irish musuem at the old seaplane terminal. The plane used in Indiana Jones was actually a Short Solent "dressed" with visual effects to look like a B314!

Well, you're certainly more educated than I am about it. I only knew I just loved the look and idea (and the association with the Clipper sailboats, which were also beautiful in their own way).

I'm not sure if anyone here had ridden Walt Disney's World "Dreamflight" (which replaced "If You Had Wings" a very similar attraction) but at one point you travel through a Clipper class airplane (although sponsored by Delta and, previously, Eastern Airlines, which to my vastly more limited knowledge than yours, probably didn't have a Clipper or perhaps weren't even around when it was flying). The glimpse inside was amazing -- reminding us of a different age of air travel when it was far more akin to a trip on a luxury ship of the ocean, rather than one traveling in the air.

As you say, if we had been around then we wouldn't be enjoying all that we have today (and I wouldn't have missed AS or the technology of the iPad, for example, for anything) but there is a great sadness in my heart that travel has become such a chore nowadays versus a great adventure in comfort and class. I suspect I wouldn't have been able to afford it (just as today I can't afford to cruise in the same sort of luxury on the ocean) but it's nice to have dreamt I could.
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  05:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@kelleytoons: thanks! not so much "educated" - I just have an efficient researcher... I say "Bikini / Worst Vacation" and she comes back a few hours later with a portfolio that includes the PAA Route maps and Schedules for 1945/6 (eye-opener in that was that the the Pacific schedules were listed as (to paraphrase) "censored - ask the airline") and footage / stills / history of the B314 between California, Hawaii and onwards towards the 1945 front line in the war... So I threw your "did Eastern fly Clippers" at her and ... Delta's ride at WDW was a total rebuild from Eastern's IYHW and it was Delta's Dreamflight that introduced the dining area of a first-class trip in its History of Flight segment. Clippers were flown by PAA and BOAC (and the US military as C98s). And nope, never been to Walt Disney World!

@Super8mm: Ah-ha! a bug in the codec!? I only rendered out to .MOV to save time (i.e. no pass of uncompressed stuff through a compositor) - that plus YT's re-formatting may explain the contrast problems! I'll do another render ... later

and -- yeah - know what you mean and pedantically - as it's departing to the West and I wanted the sun behind it on take off - you're right, it should leave L to R -- and I may well change it over and put my camera to the north for take-off ... but/and it's going to be landing from West to East, so (rather than move the camera to the south for landing with all the attendant continuity issues that brings) that will be R to L if I swap the take-off to be L to R ... (and, yes I know real airports don't work that way but ... )
Go to Top of Page

defs69
Starting Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  04:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow this stuff is awesome can't wait till I'm at this level of animating. How long was the total time put in to completion?

Edited by - defs69 on 07/21/2013 04:11:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

defs69
Starting Member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  04:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks for the info about GAMA. I posted something on Youtube a while back and my animation came out really really dark, hence the gama problem I guess
. At that time I was working with ASP8 using ASP9 now does it still have this problem??
quote:
Originally posted by super8mm

I'm wondering why it looks over exposed then I remembered about the gamma bug from the h264 codec. Gotta watch out for that.
http://ahrengot.com/tutorials/fixing-quicktime-h264-gamma-bug/

As for the plane, you should try flipping the scene for the plane to move from left to right. Usually, unless special circumstances, this direction is more natural matching the direction we read.

Edited by - defs69 on 07/21/2013 04:20:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2013 :  05:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by defs69

Wow this stuff is awesome can't wait till I'm at this level of animating. How long was the total time put in to completion?

thanks for the comment.

judging by the dates on the files, I did the storyboard on 19 Sept, and the last render was on 13 Nov last year, so that's 2 elapsed months, probably at about 50% time - so dedicated work about 1 week (40 hours) each.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page