Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  09:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,

I've been in contact with Fahim over at LM about their having a video highlight reel to showcase the great and wondrous animation AS can do. But rather than just have submissions come in willy-nilly (although there's no slam on Willy here) my idea is to have them all revolve around a central theme, making it both more fun to watch as well as posing more of a challenge to animators.

Just like our CTAP project, the video submissions should be short (although you don't have to stick to 60 seconds I wouldn't do much beyond 90) but UNLIKE that project the skies the limit in terms of what you can and can't do... as long as it sticks to the theme.

Now -- I can't promise your particular submission will make it to the highlight reel. Pretty obviously, they can't include everything everyone will do, both for time constraints as well as the fact that they *will* want to show the best of the best. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't participate if you want, even if that submission will only be seen here (and it WILL be seen here). The challenge alone is good for all of us, and you only grow as an animator when you challenge yourself.

AFAIK there's no particular deadline for this -- my own vision is that submissions could keep coming in for quite some time, and just be added as it goes (a sort of organic, living and growing project). But I'm not in charge of anything that goes on at LM (far, far from it -- I'm lucky if they even hear anything that I say).

Okay -- here's the theme: "Worst vacation, ever." (For some reason, as summer ends, I happened to think about this). Let your imagination and talents flow and let's see something from EVERYONE (even if it takes a year or two. Seriously -- this thread could go on for as long as folks want to have fun with this).

Oh -- I'll move submissions to the Showcase section, so feel free to put them here with the understanding they will get bumped over there. Don't do that yourself, though, as I want to keep this thread open just in case anyone has any questions or suggestions.

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
worst ever vacation!? reminds me of a competition where second prize was one week's vacation in Trenton NJ; first prize was one day. (apols to anyone from the Garden State!)
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, or the great Robert Klein song that has the lyric "very fond of Cleveland, spent a month there one day".
Go to Top of Page

JOHN MULLER

175 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  10:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hayasidist

worst ever vacation!? reminds me of a competition where second prize was one week's vacation in Trenton NJ; first prize was one day. (apols to anyone from the Garden State!)

Yeah, I'm from the Garden State, and as long as your dissing Trenton or Newark, your fine. :)
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  7:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, this is developing into something more concrete so now I'd like to really call upon you to help out.

It's still "Worst Vacation Ever" but the theme is a family (mom, dad, brother and sis) with their terrible vacations throughout the ages. It could start back as early as caveman times, and go all the way into the future.

Now, the family won't always stay the same in terms of looks (even beyond the obvious differences in animation styles) so it's more a case of "here's the typical four person family throughout history" process. And I suspect it could continue to be added to (in the same way I envision any of these things being organic and always growing) as long as whoever is doing the editing inserts the piece in the proper slot, timewise (so everyone should provide a date for their submission and possibly a location, if they wish -- a title card saying "France, 17th Century" would suffice).

None of these need to be all that long. I mean, it's extremely funny if you just showed a scene of a family of four, dressed in the typical tourist fare, with all their luggage as they have just arrived on the island, with the title card saying "79 AD" and looking around for things to do while the camera pans to show the wooden sign that says "Mount Vesuvius Resort" and perhaps dad going "Uh-oh" as we see the volcano in the background. 15 seconds or so and it makes all the right points and still allows for great creativity in animation (for those of you who like special effects).

I could come up with a hundred more, but so can you all. There may be others that take longer to make their point, there may be some with lots of dialog and some with none at all. The point is, it's something with an episodic feel that advances and still showcases all the things AS can do.

Just like with our Collaborative Animation project I would expect to see as many of you participate as possible -- heck, we ought to get MORE people to participate because now you have much fewer restrictions. Use whatever characters you want, including those that come with AS. I would think the most important thing is to try and tie it down to a specific year -- so if you do want to do something current, make sure you differentiate between "2012" and "2006" -- very different years, very different things going on (actually, for "2012" I think I'd still do something along the lines of the Mayan end of the world prediction).

This is a great chance to just have fun -- see it as a challenge no matter what becomes of this work!
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2012 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, we've further refined this. Since I have posted on the Lost Marble forum (of which not ALL of you are members, although you should be) I will include the post I made there:

Folks,

First of all let me be crystal clear here -- this is in no way an "official" request. I have no special standing with Smith Micro (although I've worked with the product for five years now and manage the "other" Anime Studio forum). Smith Micro is aware of what I am doing and have been encouraging, though (more about this in a bit).

What we'd like to do is put together an Anime Studio Highlight reel, but not a typical industry reel that splices together bits and pieces from finished work. In this case we're looking for short vignettes on a single theme. When I saw "short" I mean typically between 15 and 90 seconds in length, although going over or under isn't "wrong". As a matter of fact, as long as you stick to the theme, there are no rules.

The theme is "Worst Vacations Throughout History", and each submission should start with a title card indicating year and location (so "A.D. 79, Vesuvius" would be one such card. If the location is part of the punchline you can leave it out, but you MUST include the year.

It's meant to be lighthearted so I would also keep that in mind, although serious entries will be considered. And as to consideration -- the final use of this MAY end up "official" (so Smith Micro may use this in promotional materials, on the website, or whatever). There may be more than one cut, depending on how many submissions and the quality of them. We (those of us overseeing this, and it's not just me :>) are striving to create something that shows all that AS can do, and this is your chance to be a part of it.

Output desired is HD/HDTV 720p (it's a preset on your project settings) and you can post your video to YouTube as long as the license type is set for Creative Commons (you can make the video public or private but if you make it private you need to share the link with me at the very least -- send a PM and I'll give you my email). Feel free to also embed a link in this thread if you like.

The idea is to have fun -- and let's show the "other" software companies that AS is capable of almost anything.

(And let me add -- let's show the "other" forum that our members are at least as active as they are. I expect ALL of you to at least consider this. If you need ideas and/or help don't hesitate to ask).
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok - I've squeezed some time out of an otherwise busy schedule... I'm nowhere near ready to post the finished product, but here's the first tryout of a beach... no spoliers from me, but if you'd like to try to guess the when/where/why this might fall into the category of "worst vacation" ...

Edited by - hayasidist on 09/27/2012 11:01:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:37:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's beautiful.

My guess is either Namu island around 1961 or the much earlier Operation Crossroads (1946) on the atoll. Either spot would have been a Very Bad Vacation destination.
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it Bikini Atoll?
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  12:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which was Operation Crossroads (except that I was trying to be a little more subtle, not to spoil anything :>).
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is the 1946 crossroads 2-piece!! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it looks right... more as it develops.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  7:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had to look it up. I'm obviously no history buff.

Very effective waves, Paul.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's a lot more recent history to me, Wes <bg>.

(Although I wasn't born then -- more akin to the Beatles, where you're concerned).

I'm also a kind of buff on The Bomb -- when I grew up we were all sure it would be the End of Us (and they had us practice hiding under our desks if one hit. No Kidding! I'm sure that would have saved us!).
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  07:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the best cold-war era spoof of "what to do in the event of nuclear attack" I came across was: "...lie down in a ditch and cover yourself with moss, twigs and leaves. It won't protect you but it will help to Keep Britain Tidy."

("Keep Britain Tidy" was an anti-litter campaign that started in the mid 1950s... and is more or less still going ... as my grandad tells me! ...)
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  09:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, us granddaddys know best!
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  07:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote