New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  1:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Blender group is developing Freestyle, a 2D from 3D rendering option.

A cute example...

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6396 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  1:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen tons of 2D shaders over the years and always been less than impressed with them.

In my experience it takes *very* careful and controlled conditions to get good results -- so then you end up with all the pain in the bottom of doing 3D added to complexities to get it right to look 2D. Far, FAR easier to just work in 2D.

Just my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

jjstevens03
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  11:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjstevens03's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Poser 2010, you can rig 3d models, but you have to build the models in a 3rd party program, did you model your actor in Blender as well as animate them?
Go to Top of Page

Karhu

Finland
62 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  08:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karhu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks promising, I did try achieve similar effect in 3ds max some time ago. As said earlier, it would have been easier to just animate in 2d. :-) Always weird to hear: " I want 3d so that it looks like its made in 2d, not 3d!" But using both together might bring great results.

-Karhu
Go to Top of Page

Luthien
Starting Member

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2015 :  1:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luthien's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I know it's an old thread but I happened to come across it.
I'm actually quite fond of the Freestyle renderer, though I would not call it a '2D from 3D' renderer.
As I understand it, it is a non-realistic renderer that you can set to create cartoon-like 3D results, and of course that can resemble 2D to a degree. But as is also mentioned above, I would not use it to mimic 2D with.

I used it to create some simple animations for an iPad app, such as a suitcase with its lid opening and closing. I had also created cartoon-style drawings for the app and I wanted the animation to have a similar style, though not necessarily 2D, and I think the end result was quite OK and easy to achieve (though I should add to that 'easy' that I've used Blender for quite a time).
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  2:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting developments here...
https://cloud.blender.org/p/glass-half/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly