Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  09:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all (any?) of you using Papagayo, I've been playing around with what to me is the biggest bug/worst frustration and I think I've finally fixed it.

With (very) short sequences PG is just fine -- for one thing, it does a much more efficient job of properly spacing out your initial text input. But even if it's not great you can easily scroll around and/or move lines with little effort.

As your sequences are longer, though, the process becomes awful. The basic issue is that the spacing algorithm doesn't work. The text bunches up at the start of the file. And because no matter how fast a PC you have the program starts to bog down with longer files, as you have to drag things out it takes a terrible amount of time.

In another thread I discuss a possible workaround: namely, doubling the length of the audio file. And while that "sort of" helps, it also suffers from problems as the audio gets longer. And it still doesn't space things out properly.

After playing extensively this last week I think I've got the ultimate solution. I programmed a LUA script (because it was the language I've spent the most time in the last few years and because it's convenient for all who run AS) that processed the Papagayo file and pads it out correctly.

I'm going to post it in the next thread, so you can cut and paste it to your menu scripts folder if you want to try it out. Here is how to use it:

First, load up your audio file and type your text as usual. Don't worry about the frame change trick, or even trying to move any of your text at all. Just get it all in and generate it.

Then go to the very end of the file and note the number of total frames -- this isn't critical to be exact, but you want to get the length as near to the end of your text as you can (since that's how it will be spaced out). Save the file.

Exit PG and then run AS. Run my script and input the number you noted, and then pick your PGO file you saved. A few seconds later you will have a new, padded PGO file.

Load this new file back into Papagayo and it should be spaced out very well -- not perfectly, because just as with the words and phonemes you will need to adjust things. But it should be a heck of a lot closer to how it should look, with a minimum amount of movement required to get things perfect.

I've tried this on several files and am VERY happy with the results. This is really the way Papagayo *should* work, and I'm going to send the results to Mike to see if he will at least consider changing PG to operate this way. In the meantime, I'm happy.

A couple of other things to note: first, this is only set to work with one voice track. You can have multiple actors (as I do) and just use the one track, but if you want separate tracks you'll need to create separate PG files (not a huge deal). If you REALLY want this LUA script to handle multiple voice tracks like PG does then it would be easy to modify it yourself (I've done all the heavy lifting). Indeed, the script is purposefully not all that efficient so it's very easy to see how it works (I'm aware there are much more condensed ways to do what I did, but LUA is so quick at handling text files I didn't try to be clever here).

Secondly, I DID uncover the PG file limit (I had always remembered there was a limit and I found it again). PG won't work with a file greater than 4000 frames. For 30fps this amounts to slightly over two minutes, for lesser frame rates it will be longer. Break your audio up into sections smaller than this and you'll be fine (really, no scene should be longer than that anyway -- although I tend to create such long scenes with camera changes built in to them).

Please -- if you use this give me feedback around it!

Wena
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  10:20:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking forward to learn more Mike, as I have admitted on this forum, I am only now after some three years of using AS Pro coming to do lip sink. This development of yours should create a great deal of interest amongst animators.

So I am exited at the little I have done, so, far.

It has rekindled my interest.

Wena

Edited by - Wena on 06/01/2012 10:22:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  10:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christmas in June, eager to try out my new present... thanks Mike!
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  7:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, even if it's just for Rocky <g> here's a big improvement.

The following script does the same as the first one, except you no longer have to enter the number of frames in the audio file. So all you need do is create the Papagayo file, enter the text, and save it. Then run this routine, selecting that file, and it handles the rest automagically.

The one and only requirement is that your audio file is in the same directory as your Papagayo file (the PGO file). As long as you do this everything else is fine and the process is idiot proof (more or less)
Go to Top of Page

sbtamu
Silver Member

928 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  8:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbtamu's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh its for me too, I just been real busy and have done nil towards any animations. There has been a tragedy in the family and I might have to fly to Hawaii and as soon as this is over I will surely enjoy this PG improvement and start on my part of the improve.

Thanks for the hard work on this Mike.

Stephen

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  8:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome and sorry to hear about your family difficulties. I wish the best for you and yours.

(And while I appreciate the thanks I feel a *little* guilty since I'm doing this for me, mostly. I just hope it helps others).
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  9:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, no it must be for me... he says it's idiot proof!
Go to Top of Page

Wena
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  09:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have too much on my hands at present and I am putting a lot of the lip sinc I need do to one side for a few day waiting to see how Mike's script works out.

I don't understand it at the moment. specially what and how you do with the script.

I must be a "do do" or something!!!!

Wena

Edited by - Wena on 06/03/2012 09:08:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  09:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wena,

There's nothing much to it. You open up Papagayo and load in your audio file. You type your text in and then press "English" (assuming that's your language) so that it generates the text. Then you save your file to the same directory as your audio file.

Now run AS and run the script, pointing it to that Papagayo file you saved. It will space it out much better for you. You go back into Papagayo and load the newly spaced file (which will have a new, "Padded" extension added to it) and then proceed as you would normally use PG.

The one and only thing my script does is space out the starting lines better. You will still have to adjust them (and the words in them) as you normally would with PG, but it will be much easier because you won't have to drag them so far. That's all -- it's just a way of saving a lot of time dragging the lines (because PG does not space them out properly to begin with).

One way of looking at it is the big picture -- when you have a line in Papgago it will space the words out under it so they fill the entire line. But when you enter multiple lines into PG they are NOT spaced out to cover the entire audio file. All my script does is try and space the lines out just the way PG spaces the words out under those lines (wheels within wheels, turtles all the way down :>)
Go to Top of Page

Wena
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1050 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  05:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But where do you put the script?
Is it like a tool script?

Sorry it may be my Welsh language or am I dumb!

Wena
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  06:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a menu script, Wena. You just put it in the folder marked "Scripts/Menu" in your Anime Studio directory (my video tutorial on installing scripts, which I posted a year or two ago, is a good place to start -- if you missed it the first time a search in the tutorials section here will uncover it).

Have you never used any of the menu scripts with AS? You find them by using the toolbar in AS and choosing scripts.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  06:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is (he says) absolutely the last version of this I'm going to post (unless you or I find any other areas to improve :>).

This time the script reads the silences (if any) at the beginning and end of the audio file and spaces accordingly. I found that most of the time I didn't have any of these, but the times I did it threw things off considerably. Now this should correct that.

I'm going to remove all the other versions here since I don't want anyone to use those.

If you do use this my advice is that after you have run the script and created the newly adjusted Papagayo file and you reload it to adjust it for your final usage you start at the END of the file rather than the beginning (as you normally would with an unadjusted Papagayo file which bunches things up at the beginning). Starting at the end seems to make the workflow easier, probably due to the way the spacing works out. So far using this on a dozen or so files I find I can adjust even the very long ones (a minute or two in length) in just a few seconds in terms of the broad, sentence adjustments (obviously this script does nothing to improve the word adjustments -- that would need a far brighter mind than mine to fix). This, however, is a HUGE improvement over the many many minutes it used to take me. I estimate I can do about 20-30 files now in the time it took me to do just one before, so I'll save literally hours on my show (obviously YMMV depending on how much actual lip sync you do).

Again, feedback is appreciated. While I don't anticipate changing or improving anything else, you never know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44162406/AF/MK_ProcessPapagayo.lua
Go to Top of Page

videodv

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  08:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit videodv's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Kelleytoons

Just tried this script out and it would not load anything back into Papagayo I just get a blank screen?

I do see the Padded pgo file

Using ASP 8.2

Regards
Chris.
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  09:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you try loading in that PGO file and Papagayo doesn't show you anything, correct? And your audio file is in the same directory as that PGO file, right?

I can troubleshoot this completely if I have both the audio and PGO files, but you can also look at that PGO file yourself to make sure it looks "good" (it's just a text file, so you can examine it in Notepad). Compare it with the original PGO file to be sure they are both similar (they will have different numbers following the words, lines and phonemes but they should have all the same words, lines, phonemes and audio file designations).
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6497 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  09:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and when you run the script you do see the various printouts as well, correct? (It should show you the starting silence, if any, the total frames, the amount of lines, the amount to pad, etc). You might copy that down and let me know that as well (assuming you don't want to just send me the audio and PGO file).
Go to Top of Page

videodv

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  12:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit videodv's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

Yes and Yes to your first two questions and yes I can see the print outs

If you look at this piece of printout

lipsync version 1
Script Test.wav
Voice 1
Testing out kellyytoons new papayo script hopfully this is going to be fine and its the first bit of lip syncing Im trying to do
Testing out kellyytoons new papayo script hopfully this is going to be fine and its the first bit of lip syncing Im trying to do
-1.#IND
Testing -1.#IND -1.#IND 6
-1.#IND etc
-1.#IND E
-1.#IND etc
-1.#IND etc
-1.#IND AI
-1.#IND etc
out -1.#IND -1.#IND 2
-1.#IND O
-1.#IND etc
kellyytoons -1.#IND -1.#IND 0
new -1.#IND -1.#IND 2

Instead off the original pgo file

lipsync version 1
Script Test.wav
Voice 1
Testing 0 41 6
0 etc
7 E
14 etc
21 etc
28 AI
35 etc
out 42 55 2
42 O
49 etc
kellyytoons 56 59 0
new 60 73 2