856 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  1:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

ANME file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65307694/snake%20experimental.zip

Edited by - rocky53204 on 03/29/2012 11:21:49 AM

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  11:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's an awesome technique.

Any reason you are using a screen shot for the brush instead of a rendered image? Are you only using Debut?

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  11:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the image... my cumbersome, most likely amateur, technique was to do the artwork and render in anime studio pro 8.2. I then used the 'snipping tool' which allows one to 'lasso' a bit of screen image and save it as a PNG. I then used paint.net to make the background transparent. Then saved same to the brushes folder... This was my fourth iteration to satisfy myself. In hindsight, the head may have been done as a separate brush for better effect. I'm new to this so I continue to experiment...
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  12:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have AS Pro, any reason you didn't just save the brush as a PNG from the preview render?

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  06:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Due to my inexperience I failed to do that... just tried, works fine!
Thanks for the tip!

Edited by - rocky53204 on 03/26/2012 06:42:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

rocky53204
Silver Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

jahnocli

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  12:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks really good, and it's a clever technique, but over here in little ol' England a stickleback is a little freshwater fish with 3 spines! So not quite what I was expecting!
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  11:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to figure out how this was done, the work file is no longer there. The scales moves so correctly and they don't increase or decrease in number and the stay aligned correctly. I have been try to make the scales on my dragon but I can't seem to rig them right. They pull away and overlap each other in a very awkward way. The only part I have that is working well is the belly scales. http://www.mediafire.com/file/t2qeiaez0t02q1j/DRAGON_FULL_BODY_STAR_FINAL.anime
Go to Top of Page

Kelleytoons
Forum Admin

6373 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  4:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know how to use custom brushes? I would suggest that's a good place to start, learn all about them (I don't use them myself, but I'm guessing his technique is just to define the custom brush and use it as the "body" -- imagine just a single line or brush stroke and you can figure out the rest yourself).

It might or might not work for dragon scales -- custom brush images in such a manner are best used as the entire width (so for thin shapes like arm, let or tail). But perhaps someone could tell you more (as I said, I don't use custom brushes myself).

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Go to Top of Page

hayasidist
Gold Member

United Kingdom
1247 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use custom brushes a lot - sometimes as a texture - sometimes as a repeating object. In this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmNs0Wzz4UA the leaf motif on the wall, the tree lights, baubles and branches are all done as custom brushes. A limitation is how brushes behave when zooming (or z motion) of the camera (scale compensation on line width I think - but I've never bothered to investigate fully) - so I just try to avoid the issue.
Go to Top of Page

SynthSin75
Administrator

USA
4465 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2017 :  4:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit SynthSin75's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The example here used a single stroke for a snake body and this brush:

So it may not work for your needs.

-Wes
Go to Top of Page

werew0lfgirl_99

139 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2017 :  9:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know much about custom brushes yet but I will learn. I did play around with the existing heart pattern brush and I found the number of hearts would change as I moved the neck and that I couldn't get the hearts to move correctly in a single stroke. :/ Is there a way to set the number so it can't change?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page