Animators Forum
Animators Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Moho (Anime Studio)
 Problems, Solutions, and General Discussion
 Mike's Swiss Army tool extra feature

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rogermate Posted - 11/23/2009 : 5:17:15 PM
This tool has been really handy, but I noticed something extra.

As with the LM standard tools, the Scale mode (pressing Shift) does not work on frame 0. But the Transform mode of Mike's Tool can be "tricked" into Scale mode by pressing Alt while on the pointed end of the bone.

This is interesting because the standard LM tools Scale tool is disable at frame 0.

Thus, if you've already created your bones and wish in retrospect that you could resize one, you can do it on frame zero with Mike's tool.

One nice feature of the standard LM tools is that you can select multiple bones and then manipulate them. (However, this doesn't work with the Swiss Army tool. Not a big problem though.)
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelleytoons Posted - 09/27/2013 : 4:23:20 PM
You're asking how to install a script?

You need to create a user content directory, then copy the script to whatever directory is relevant (that will usually, but not always, be the tools directory). Then if you want it to show in a certain spot you need to edit the tool_lst file (this isn't a requirement, but will make it easier).

If you do a forum search there is at least one video on how to do all this (try "installing scripts").

"Look, I made a hat...
Where there never was a hat"

-Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
emerenini@emmanuel Posted - 09/27/2013 : 3:13:03 PM
Hey,been reading through the comments, please how can i apply a created script to my AS APP
Thanks

e
Kelleytoons Posted - 06/19/2012 : 7:37:32 PM
I do understand the desire to have scripts gathered in one place but in the first place the only ones I could do this for would be mine, and in the second place I don't have a lot of things that would be useful for most folks.

My tutorial attempts to show a more generalized way of looking at scripts. But trying to install all my own would only be frustrating because they only work for my particular characters.

I really only have three scripts that nearly everyone would find useful (and then another two or three that some people might like). Work is in progress to have these available to all but I really don't want to say much more about this.

In the meantime they can be located here in various threads. The three I have in mind in particular are my Swiss Army Tool, the Color Adjustment tool, and the Character select tool.
jmoreira Posted - 06/19/2012 : 6:50:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons

No -- trust me, the stuff that Wes (and perhaps even I) have in mind there is *much* cooler.

These are just tools I've been sharing for quite some time. I suppose I should gather these all up in one post because they've been rather scattered around, but I bring them up as it occurs to me.

Hi master Mike and other friends.

Have you ever gathered all these tools in a post? I have already seen all your tutorials on vimeo, and I saw one about installing scripts, but I'm confused among so many posts about them. I'm not sure which is the most recent version and where are all of them and its functions Has this post here? If not, would be ask too much that you could created this post to help those who are entering in this world of AS like me?

Thank's

Att
Jeferson Moreira
www.jefersonmoreira.com
Kelleytoons Posted - 06/19/2012 : 5:31:03 PM
I was just able to download the ZIP file so there's nothing wrong there. Are you right clicking on it and choosing "Save link"? You might want to try a different browser if that doesn't work (I'd recommend Chrome).

I don't think I have any LUA files posted directly -- that is, they are all zipped because not only most places don't allow for such a download, but my own web host doesn't allow for those files to be uploaded (normal protocol is to limit such things to known file types like ZIP, PDF, JPG, etc.)

The SAT has been around for a long time (it was the first script I wrote) but it's really just a modified version of someone else's tool (and for the life of me now I can't even remember whose). I'm always tinkering with it, though, and there are at least three or four threads here with other versions, some of them with just the LUA code posted (so you can always just cut and paste the code directly from that).
jmoreira Posted - 06/19/2012 : 5:20:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by arfa

Mike,

I am having trouble getting a copy of your knife.
for some reason my host won't allow a download of a LUA file

Even the zipped version comes as:
<h1>The page cannot be found</h1> etc.

I get the impression this script has been around for a while but I guess I missed it. Sounds intriguing.

Att
Jeferson Moreira
www.jefersonmoreira.com
Wena Posted - 09/30/2010 : 5:46:08 PM
Will it also work on V7??
Wena
Kelleytoons Posted - 09/30/2010 : 5:05:37 PM
Which script? The Swiss Army Tool?

If so, it's just a way of consolidating all the normal functions (rotate, scale, position) into one tool that is "smart" in that it behaves differently depending upon the kind of layer it's working on (so on a bone layer it does those actions for bones, on a vector layer it operates on the whole layer, etc.) You can activate the mode by pressing special function keys while mousing (it should *say* in the command line what key you need to press for what function).

It's the only tool for manipulation I ever use anymore.
kkrawal Posted - 09/30/2010 : 12:50:13 PM
sorry Kelly Sir,
Today I downloaded the script, ( I have 6.2)
I wnat to know what this script does and how to use it?
Kelleytoons Posted - 12/05/2009 : 11:22:13 PM
Frame 0 is kind of a special case where no keys can be set. So trying to make a transform there isn't really useful or appropriate -- I'm not sure how to explain that any clearer (but it may be just that it's late at night and I'm not thinking clearly).

You can actually get in big trouble by doing a transform on frame 0 -- without going into details, let me just state that one time I rotated my layer at frame 0 and constructed some things there and the only way I could fix it was to reconstruct the whole thing (it wasn't salvageable any other way).

In any case, I'm glad you got it working and hopefully it will do what you want.
rogermate Posted - 12/05/2009 : 7:02:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons

You can only apply transforms that take place on a frame other than 0 (hopefully for obvious reasons). So make sure you are at frame 1, for example, before you use the tool. The only feedback you'll get is the layer transforms will be reset (that is, you will now see them at all zeros).

Well it wasn't obvious to me

Works fine now!
Kelleytoons Posted - 12/05/2009 : 1:58:43 PM
You can only apply transforms that take place on a frame other than 0 (hopefully for obvious reasons). So make sure you are at frame 1, for example, before you use the tool. The only feedback you'll get is the layer transforms will be reset (that is, you will now see them at all zeros).
rogermate Posted - 12/05/2009 : 1:09:14 PM
Hi Mike,

Can you describe the steps used with the mk_inherit_transforms script?

I'm trying to resize Genete's rig and then to use it with my arm as in your tutorial. I can modify the bone layer use layer tools to resize, rotate, transform just as I want. The tool is loaded with the blue pyramid glyph. Position, Scale, and Rotation are all checked.

My understanding was that by clicking the "Apply" button, the layer transforms would be applied to the bones themselves. Then the bones could be copied and pasted onto my rig.

When I click Apply, there is no feedback that happens. The modifications to the bone layer stay the same, and the bones themselves haven't been changed. I've tried with all of the bones selected, with none selected, and with just the parent selected.

Perhaps the install is wrong. Is there supposed to be visual feedback when Apply is clicked? Am I not using the tool correctly?

I'm using 6.1

arfa Posted - 12/03/2009 : 09:00:40 AM

Jolly jumpin good jelly...

I will plug this in and take it for a spin.

Thanks.
Kelleytoons Posted - 12/02/2009 : 10:40:30 PM
Try this -- clear that bone's offset (set it to 0) and see if it clears the shortening. If it does, then try moving it back into position and watch it carefully to make sure it's not shortening again.

I still get surprised by things in AS -- I am by no means expert in it (AFAIK, Mike Clifton is the only real expert). However, learning things all the time is what keeps you young (I keep telling my old self this :>)

Animators Forum © Kelleytoons Go To Top Of Page